Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game -- IC01

Lou

Explorer
Jimmy

Jimmy looks up suddenly from his study of the books and asks, "Where is Mr. Selm?" Looking around, He pulls out a flask and takes a long pull. Putting his flask away, Jimmy takes a deep breath and gets back into it. "So what is this entry here, and how does it tie in to those entries over there?"

OOC: Accounting 12+2 (IQ/H)

Leif

Adventurer
Simulgrab -- Checking the books

During one of the few breaks from looking at the Simulgrab ledgers that are threatening to make them go blind, Jimmy and Gruffle note in passing that Zoe is not sitting where she was when they last came up for air. Ahh, well, Zho have to pee, too, now and then. Or so you would assume.... Spider and Kaira are on their second game of ______, and Spider doesn't know how much longer he can keep letting her win. (So far, though, she has refused to take part in a strip poker match...)

Jimmy's two successes means that he's had a breakthrough! There is definitely a steady drain on cashflow around here. Not enough to break the company, mind you, but a significant loss that is a blot on an otherwise pristine balance sheet. The increase that will be reaslized by correcting the problem will contribute directly to increased investor confidence and employee morale, and that will in turn lead to heightened productivity, more aggressive sales, and additional capital resources being made available to the company, all of which will, hopefully, further the snowball effect. Now if you can just find out where the drain is....

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Kaira looks up from the game to notice that Jovan Selm is gone, and apparently gone for quite some time. After asking if anyone knew where he went, Kaira gets up and moves to the door.

"I don't like this," she says. Kaira unbuttons her black leather overcoat, revealing the taut business attire underneath. "I'd better go find him. Or find out what he's doing."

OOC: Kaira wants to first go to Selm's office and look for any obvious clues there. She will also interrogate the assistant.

Here are some rolls that might be relevant: Fast Talk, Intimidation, Observation, Shadowing, and Stealth.

Where it matters, remember that Kaira has Charisma 4 and Appearance: Very Beautiful.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
With Kaira and Zoe both out of the room Spider's mind begins to focus on the task at hand. "I don't know much about accounting, but maybe I can do something with the raw numbers." Spider takes the company numbers and sets up a statistical analysis. He ignores the names on accounts and disbursements but instead just runs the raw numbers to see where the money goes just breaking it up into chunks and producing a graphic analysis of the result. He'll compare that to whatever data he has on Zeering's other divisions. He's looking for a curve up where the expected result would be a curve down or vice versa. Once he finds something that doesn't smell right in the pattern he'll look to see what accounts, suppliers or losses are involved. His goal is just to provide a direction for those with a better grasp of accounting to put their efforts. He'll take over as much of the local computing power as he can get his hands on as well as his own equipment.

Leif

Adventurer
Simulgrab -- Checking the books

The data make no sense to Spider, really. The conclusion that he comes to is that some of the entries have been mis-labelled, either accidentally or intentionally, he can't quite be sure, but it looks awfully fishy, considering the accurracy of the rest of the ledger.

OOC: More on Kaira's activities later. Insight, feel free to give me a little more info about which checks Kaira makes when. If you want to just make some stuff up about what she finds/does, that's ok, too, and we'll just sort it all out later.

Centisteed

First Post
Gruffle

Gruffle looks around at everyone from the computer
with the accounting spreadsheet, then gets back to
facing the computer to try & figure it out.

OOC: messed up on the dice. ignore all results except
the last two. I subtracted the - 5 penalty. I'm not sure
if I have a skill of statistics 11 or 14...bit puzzled about
the previous owners stats. He wrote statistics 11 (14) -1.
I need to go fix that soon!

Two accounting roles (default statistics 11-5):

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Can we access original bank statements in order to reconcile them with the ledgers in hopes of finding mislabeled transactions?

Since Mr. Selm seems to be having a 6 martini lunch, Spider seeks out Briffy, Mr. Selm's assistant. "Please show me where the original bank statements are kept. If you don't have them I'd like the name of your contact at the bank." Sweat pops out on his forehead as he tries his best to be calm and professional in front of an attractive young lady.

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: Can we access original bank statements in order to reconcile them with the ledgers in hopes of finding mislabeled transactions?

Since Mr. Selm seems to be having a 6 martini lunch, Spider seeks out Briffy, Mr. Selm's assistant. "Please show me where the original bank statements are kept. If you don't have them I'd like the name of your contact at the bank." Sweat pops out on his forehead as he tries his best to be calm and professional in front of an attractive young lady.

Since Kaira was going to see Mr. Selm's office / assistant, anyway, why not have Kaira do the talking (per my rolls above, Fast Talk or Intimidate)

Leif

Adventurer
Simulgrab -- Checking the books, etc.

I think we can assume that Spider takes Kaira with him to see Briffy, no problem.

OOC: Update coming soon. Too late tonight, and I have other plans tomorrow night, but soon, I promise hope.

Remove ads