Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game OOC01

Leif

Adventurer
I'm now giving serious thought to starting one or possibly more GURPS Traveller games over here: SJG Forums, see post #2 in that thread. My handle there is pup67vargr, but my Avatar is still the familiar Gnome, for now at least.

Insight

Adventurer
I'm now giving serious thought to starting one or possibly more GURPS Traveller games over here: SJG Forums, see post #2 in that thread. My handle there is pup67vargr, but my Avatar is still the familiar Gnome, for now at least.

I barely have time to maintain what I've got going on EN World. I cannot make any promises to have any time to visit other RPG sites to continue this game. That's just the way it is.

Scotley

Hero
I'm still here if grossly overworked. I'll keep going as long as you'll have me, but if the consensus is let this one go I can certainly use the time to post to my other games.

Leif

Adventurer
I have no urgent plans to end this game. But if there is a general feeling of malaise/apathy, then we could fold this one once and for all. I certainly don't want to flog a dead horse by contnuing after everyone's interest is long gone. But, having said that, if there are still just one or two of you with some interest, I'm perfectly happy to keep a game going, even if the players wish it to be a different game, because I can always fall back on published Traveller adventures, of which I have quite a stack now.

FYI, the SJG Forums use VBulletin as well, so things work there just about like they do here. Not quite totally exact, but close enough. But, still, I have no plans to move this game over there. If there is still interest in a GURPS Traveller endeavor here, that is....

Insight

Adventurer
I have no urgent plans to end this game. But if there is a general feeling of malaise/apathy, then we could fold this one once and for all. I certainly don't want to flog a dead horse by contnuing after everyone's interest is long gone. But, having said that, if there are still just one or two of you with some interest, I'm perfectly happy to keep a game going, even if the players wish it to be a different game, because I can always fall back on published Traveller adventures, of which I have quite a stack now.

FYI, the SJG Forums use VBulletin as well, so things work there just about like they do here. Not quite totally exact, but close enough. But, still, I have no plans to move this game over there. If there is still interest in a GURPS Traveller endeavor here, that is....

I appreciate your efforts, Leif, over the past 6 months or so that we have been trying to keep this game moving forward. I just get the sense that it is moving forward, when it has been moving forward, in a very sluggish and begrudging way.

That said, there are some good players (and DM/GM) in this game and I can't help but imagine that something good could be made from it.

For my part, I am not one of those players / DMs who gets into a 100 games and can't handle the load. In fact, I'm quite picky about the games I join. I joined this game because I like GURPS and I wanted to see how it would work in a PBP. I haven't ever played Traveller, so I have no particular interest / loyalty from that point of view.

I would be happy to continue with this game, in some form, but I am having a hard time with the current design. I feel kinda lost and underwhelmed with the task at hand. Maybe it's the Travelller-ness that's putting me off. Maybe I just like more action in my games. I dunno.

I hope we can make something work, whatever it is.

Leif

Adventurer
I appreciate your efforts, Leif, over the past 6 months or so that we have been trying to keep this game moving forward. I just get the sense that it is moving forward, when it has been moving forward, in a very sluggish and begrudging way.

That said, there are some good players (and DM/GM) in this game and I can't help but imagine that something good could be made from it.

For my part, I am not one of those players / DMs who gets into a 100 games and can't handle the load. In fact, I'm quite picky about the games I join. I joined this game because I like GURPS and I wanted to see how it would work in a PBP. I haven't ever played Traveller, so I have no particular interest / loyalty from that point of view.

I would be happy to continue with this game, in some form, but I am having a hard time with the current design. I feel kinda lost and underwhelmed with the task at hand. Maybe it's the Travelller-ness that's putting me off. Maybe I just like more action in my games. I dunno.

I hope we can make something work, whatever it is.
I totally agree with your assessment of the game's progress, or lack thereof. I also want to make something work. But I'm just as determined NOT to waste our time here more than I already have! Traveller has always been very fascinating for me, but, somehow, the games just don't seem to deliver. Never have for me.

More action is a good thought, though. What we might try is:
1. PCs are crewmen aboard a big ship who go on various missions, like Star Trek, but different.
2. PCs are part of an elite planetary combat unit, who go various places to blow stuff up.
3. PCs are small fighter pilots on a capital ship, a la Star Wars.
4. Something else entirely -- I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Lou

Explorer
Traveler, like Boot Hill, always seemed like a great vehicle for role playing, but it never seems to work out in practice. The genres must not be as compelling to us as players as fantasy.

I vote for Leif's #1.

Leif

Adventurer
Traveler, like Boot Hill, always seemed like a great vehicle for role playing, but it never seems to work out in practice. The genres must not be as compelling to us as players as fantasy.

I vote for Leif's #1.
Yes, much like Boot Hill, I'm afraid. And speaking of.... I've just recently won an auction for GURPS Wild West rpg, whatever it's called. So you may be seeing more of that sort of thing in the coming weeks/months! :D

And it was not lost on me that you chose the option that is by far the most demanding on the GM's resources of time, inspiration, and sanity! Thanks a lot, Bro!
I like all of Leif's suggestions, even the "other" ;)
Now, about that 'other' -- We are still progressing, SLOWLY mind you, with the current story in this game. There is still much to be done here, if you wish to do it. I'm guessing/hoping you're about to page Welest Turang, and see what light he can shed on the situation.... We're not out of strings to pull on this one yet, not by a lonnng shot.

Lou

Explorer
And it was not lost on me that you chose the option that is by far the most demanding on the GM's resources of time, inspiration, and sanity! Thanks a lot, Bro!

I actually chose the option that was most like what the game was now. ;) And it was #1 on your list, so I thought it was what you wanted. :p

Remove ads