Little help with portraits? :)

hellbender

First Post
You know, some artists and illustrators would also like to go to GenCon, and with the price for table rental, doing gratis work is really pointless.
As an artist/illustrator I have to tell you; artists also have bills to pay, free work takes up time alloted to paying work, sorry, but that is life. If you can find someone with nothing better to do, you are lucky, but asking an artist to paint for free is a bit ludicrous. It takes time, skill and talent to put art together, just as any other skilled trade, the best you could hope for is a discount on work. But with GenCon gearing up, I know a lot of other artists and illustrators piecing together art they will get paid for.
If I had a dollar for everytime I was personally asked to do something for free I would paint a lot less. I am not saying this to be any meaner than asking someone to do their job for nothing but a thank you.

hellbender

Don21584

First Post
Well, at least it's still here since I was gone the weekend and I have settings on for just topics from the last day, so that's good, I guess.
Oh, and *resists urge to flame*, I wasn't particularly asking for an all out 6 hour painting, because if I wanted something that extravagant, I would pay for it. A simple light sketch would probably do.

hellbender

First Post
Don21584 said:
Well, at least it's still here since I was gone the weekend and I have settings on for just topics from the last day, so that's good, I guess.
Oh, and *resists urge to flame*, I wasn't particularly asking for an all out 6 hour painting, because if I wanted something that extravagant, I would pay for it. A simple light sketch would probably do.

Don:
No need to flame. I do realize I was a bit heavy handed, but, please understand this from an artist's point of view. Saying 'my friend and myself like to avoid paying for artwork' kind of sets a tone. Yeah, I would avoid paying for the internet too, the interent being a want, not a necessity, but alas, my ISP charges. They probably pay for a business license too.
To maintain a living and stay 'in the chips', artists have to be mercenaries. Free work does not pay. Mercenaries don't work for free. Art materials are not free either, let me assure you.

hellbender

hellbender

First Post
By sheer synchronicity, this topic came up on a forum for professional illustrators Sunday evening, without dropping names, here is one artist's quote that many agreed to:

> I charge $20 or 30 for finished drawings/sketches and these
I
> spend time on (half an hour or more). If someone offers me $5.00
for
> a sketch, sometimes, I'll do them 5 bucks worth.

In other words, you get what you pay for. I know Don mentioned a sketch, like it was nothing and not a 5-6 hour painting. Well, if I do a 5-6 hour painting, the prints alone sell for around $10-$30.

That said, happy free sketch hunting, and flame away!

hellbender

Remove ads