Living Eberron - Gauging Interest Level

How much would you get involved in a Living Eberron campaign? (read before voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widowmaker

First Post
1) I like the name Living Eberron.

2) Base - I think Sharn should be the base. In many books it is mentioned Sharn is the largest city on Khorvaire and the starting point for almost all excursions to Xen'drik.

Let alone from Sharn you can go almost anywhere in the world.

3) The one thing about Eberron is that evil and good are not the same as in the standard view.

4) Good Question on the other powerful races.

Warforged - As others have said either way works.

I am willing to help organize, DM, and play.

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
I voted that I'd be willing to play, the constraints of work, school, and the PS game I'm running keep me from doing much more.

Sharn would be a great place to start, but I think a centric "home base" for players would be of less importance in an Eberron game given the level of communication, most notably the Lightning Rail and the Korranberg Chronicle.

Eventually, should this take off well, you could have PC's hearing about other PC's through the KC or other newspapers of Eberron, perhaps with one of the organizers putting together a thread that tracks what the game threads are doing.

Bront

The man with the probe
After thinking about this a bit, here's what I'd recomend:

Allowed Material Initialy:
PHB, MM, MM3 (Lots of Eberron specific monsters), DMG, XPH, Eberron Setting Handbook, and Races of Eberron. (AKA, SRD, MM3, Eberron, and Races of Eberron).

What to allow potentialy later: Crunch from any other Eberron Book and other WOTC source as voted in to being allowed. Classes, feats, or books as a whole can be voted on to be added or removed, but only for crunch (Rules/character stuff)

Why: MM3 can be used by DMs with no real problems, and also opens up the use of the Warforged Scout. Races of Eberron has racial material, but no other setting content that contridicts anything in the base Eberron book, and should be usable enough without requiring anyone else to have it beyond character creation judges and players using it. Races of Eberron adds some nice things for all races and classes.

------------

Cannon: Eberron setting book plus anything used in an adventure afterwards.

Why: Owners of the other books can use the setting material, in which case it becomes cannon, but at that point everyone can see it since it's been used. This also gives free reign to allow for GMs to create their own material and use it without fear of being told 'No, this book says this is different'.

-----------

Races: All races listed in said books above except the XPH races. Hobgoblins, being integral to the setting, are LA +0.

Why: The XPH races don't quite fit in Eberron as well with the Kalashtar and Inspired, and with the other added races already, and we've discussed Hobgoblins already before.

-------------

Expanding the Rules:
New Content: New content can be proposed and voted on by the judges to be accepted in a manor similar to how it is done in LEW (Which works).

Precreated Content: Since we're already using non-core rules, books or rules from books can be proposed similar to how they are in Living Enworld, and must be approved, but on the Cavat that at least one of the character judges has access to the materials.

Why: We're already not core, so why not open things up a bit with approval? We don't have to go full books, where we can approve small parts of books (Swashbuckler of CW, Scout of CV, Racial paragon levels from UA, etc)

------------

Expanding the setting: Content created in game is Cannon (within reason, a player fixing the mornlands with remove curse because DM John says so won't go over well). Content from other books can be used in game, but it is not Cannon untill it is used as such. Events and metaplot of the world will be determined by the judges and game masters of Living Eberron, not from books and novels.

Why: This is our world, and besides, that keeps some things a mystery to the players.

------------

Base: Sharn. Either a Tavern, or perhaps a University spot (Morgrave University's Job Connection?).

Why: Easy to go anywhere from Sharn. Very central place to Eberron as well.

------------

Name: Living ENberron :p

Ok, maybe not, but it was a cute idea :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Expanding the setting: Content created in game is Cannon (within reason, a player fixing the mornlands with remove curse because DM John says so won't go over well). Content from other books can be used in game, but it is not Cannon untill it is used as such. Events and metaplot of the world will be determined by the judges and game masters of Living Eberron, not from books and novels.

Why: This is our world, and besides, that keeps some things a mystery to the players.

I agree. Also, a GM should seek Judge approval before killing off Erandis d'Vol, for instance.

Allowed Material Initialy:
PHB, MM, MM3 (Lots of Eberron specific monsters), DMG, XPH, Eberron Setting Handbook, and Races of Eberron. (AKA, SRD, MM3, Eberron, and Races of Eberron).

I can't remember, but which book had the ridiculous Shifter PrC, the Moon-something or other. Was it RoE? Does RoE also have the Reforged? Most of the things in RoE seem good without being a big deal for GMs to have to memorise, but we should check to see if there's anything we don't want to use. Reforged shouldn't be a problem because Living Eberron almost certainly won't get high enough in level to allow the Reforged exploit.

Bront

The man with the probe
Reforged are in the book, and I think the Moon-thingies are too, I didn't think they were too bad, but maybe I missed something. The Were-touched masters were more problematic I thought for shifters.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Reforged are in the book, and I think the Moon-thingies are too, I didn't think they were too bad, but maybe I missed something. The Were-touched masters were more problematic I thought for shifters.
The Moon-thingies give full casting and a huge assortment of potent abilities including the ability to get one of the shifts permanently, among others.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
The Moon-thingies give full casting and a huge assortment of potent abilities including the ability to get one of the shifts permanently, among others.
Yeah, but don't you give up druidic abilities in trade?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Yeah, but don't you give up druidic abilities in trade?
They get slightly delayed Wildshape, but they do keep getting it in a cruel jab to Druids. So they keep a few levels behind the Druid at that (I believe 4) and gain extremely powerful abilities in exchange.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
They get slightly delayed Wildshape, but they do keep getting it in a cruel jab to Druids. So they keep a few levels behind the Druid at that (I believe 4) and gain extremely powerful abilities in exchange.
What, now you want balanced PrCs? What kind of D20 player are you? :p

I'll look at it when i get home, though I don't remember it being that exciting.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Bront said:
Why: The XPH races don't quite fit in Eberron as well with the Kalashtar and Inspired, and with the other added races already, and we've discussed Hobgoblins already before.
The one word I'll put in the for the Elan is that they do have a nice little fit---outcast quori bound to humans as punishment. The human is in entire control and does not even realize the spirit is there---that they are just different. The elan background (secret cabal, blah, blah) in the XPH goes away which this, of course.

This was part of the Player's Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads