• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lizardfolks in Dragon #268

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Organization: Solitary, band (14-32 plus one third-level druid shaman per 10 individuals plus 1d6 giant lizards), or tribe (30-60 plus one 3rd-level druid shaman per 10 individuals plus one 5th-level druid shaman per 30 individuals and one 7th-level druid shaman plus 1d6 giant lizards)?
Long, but I like it.
Racial bonus on Handle Animal checks?
I'd say +2.

Flavor text, or perhaps an increased chance to escape grapples, but at a price (the loss of the racial bonus on Balance and Jump checks)?
I think a racial ability. I would say that the iguanid can choose to take a +5 bonus on a single Escape Artist or Grapple check to escape a grapple but loses the Balance and Jump bonus for 10 days (or something like that). How about:

Detachable Tail (Ex): An iguanid may choose to lose its tail to gain a +5 bonus on a single Escape Artist or Grapple check to escape a grapple. After doing so, the iguanid loses its racial bonuses to Balance and Jump checks for 10 days and also cannot use this ability during that time period.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I think all that is left is weight. Since they are the same height as standard lizardfolk, shall we go with the same weight?

Maxxx26

First Post
Probably Varanids, they are nearly the same as standard lizardfolk. I would lower the natural AC to +3 and give them a tail attack. Plus Two-Weapon Fighting as a bonus feat and proficiency in one exotic double weapon of their choice. I would also eliminate the swim bonus and the hold breath ability.

Shade

Monster Junkie
NO. APPEARING 1-6 or 8-15 (ld8+7)

For every ten warriors present, there is a 3-HD "lasher" whose task is to whip the warriors into battle fury and kill any who dare to flee. In small parties, one of the lashers acts as the war leader. For every three lashers there is an additional 5-HD commander. Every tribe has a 7-HD warrior-king (or sshistak) and a shaman (5th-level priest). The priest has 1-4 3rd-level acolytes.

They typically gather in tribes of about 100-150 individuals, including their young. They tend to build hut villages around natural formations.

Organization: Solitary, hunting party (1-6), war party (8-15 plus one 3rd-level lasher) or tribe (100-150 adults plus 20% noncombatant young plus one 3rd-level lasher per 10 adults plus one 5th-level commander per 30 adults plus 1-4 3rd-level acolytes [clerics] plus one 5th-level shaman [cleric] plus one 7th-level sshistak [fighter])

NO. OF ATTACKS 4 or 3
DAMAGE/ ATTACK 1-3/1-3/1-4/2-5 or by weapon

Varanids have a full array of natural weaponry: talons, teeth, and a 6'-long whiplike tail ridged with razorsharp scales. They also enjoy using weapons, and they often enter combat with a strange array of curved axes, swords with blades at both ends of the pommel, double-headed spears, barbed nets, and star-shaped punch daggers, all of their own bizarre design. They have a natural affinity for weapons and quickly learn to use whatever weapons they find. Almost every member of the race is ambidextrous, and warriors usually fight with two weapons and strike with their tails in the same round.

Claws (1d3), bite (1d4), tail (1d4 plus Str and 1/2)?

Ambidextrous (Ex): A varanid treats all off-hand weapons as light weapons for the purposes of determining penalties when fighting with two weapons.

Maxxx26 suggested a free double weapon exotic weapon proficiency of their choice. Since some of the weapons mentioned weren't double weapons, how about simply one exotic weapon proficiency as a bonus feat?

ARMOR CLASS 7

They never use shields, which they consider to be for the weak, and they wear only small pieces of armor.

Natural armor +3, as suggested by Maxxx26.

Varanids worship a minor pantheon of reptilian gods.

That doesn't really tell us anything about domains, though.

As ferocious as they are, varanid warriors are wily, cunning fighters. They use every dirty trick and guerrilla tactic without reservation. Because varanid minds are so alien, human opponents can never be sure what to expect. Hit-and-run attacks, sudden ambushes, night fighting, decoys, snares, spoiler runs, and even terror tactics are all part of their strategy.

Varanids live to prove themselves in war. The best warrior, in their minds, makes the best leader. Ironically, when not fighting they are a reserved, peaceful species. They rarely fight among themselves and spend their days spear fishing, swimming, repairing huts, and sunning themselves on rocks. If carefully approached, they are not averse to talking or trading.

This sounds like Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Survival, and Tumble as possible skills.

Varanids speak a highly developed dialect of the common Lizard Man tongue that warm-bloods can learn with practice.

Does Draconic suffice?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Organization looks good. Lashers are fighters?

1-1/2 Str sounds right for the tail. How about extc wpn prof (double-bladed sword)?

The rest sounds good. Include scalykind in the domains?

Maxxx26

First Post
Yes, that seams very reasonable. HD should be the same as standard lizardfolk.

I don't think that the ambidexterity ability is necessary. They are described as either using double weapons or stuff that is probably a light-weapon anyway. Perhaps one could give them a bonus exotic proficiency in either a double weapon or a light weapon, to keep with the old fluff. This would allow stuff like the double scimitar from eberron and similar weapons that would fit the flavor in home campaigns.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

We'll need to rework the attack lines to utilize exotic weapons. Shall we go with double-bladed sword as the default?

For the cleric domains, Freyar mentioned Scalykind. I'd recommend Strength, Trickery, and War for the remainder. Sound good?

Shall we just simplify the free racial feat to be any Exotic Weapon feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads