• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LMoP [ooc]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Eddicus dislikes moral relativism; but he also knows that the people nearby are more likely to be swayed by precept and example than by criticism. One thing he wants to do is to set a good example for the whole rest of the party (AHEM! *ABSENT* BRLO AND LEONAN, who aren't inside the taphouse) by asking them for their opinions about how to deal with the situation.

Since that's not possible in their absence, his best chance to give a good example in the taphouse seems to be to set an example for Vottr by asking for Castagyr's opinion; however, given the recent clashes of will and style between those two already, that course of action would set an example of doubtful value to anyone.

Worse, I don't see how Eddicus can now discuss this matter with Vottr and Castagyr inside the taphouse without further trying the patience of the townmaster. . . .

Edit to add: Eddicus is most likely to be amenable to accepting Sildar's take on the situation: now is not the time to make waves in Phandalin.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Further on the situation inside the Sleeping Dragon taphouse:

If anyone wonders at the way I'm playing Eddicus, here's one factor to consider: I originally gave him the Flaw of, "I can sometimes turn tail and run when things look bad." I like to think that I'm brushing up fairly close to his actually doing that in this situation; and that, therefore, I'm currently playing him in-character at least to some extent.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
My view on Eddicus actions is that he is good law abiding priest and thus fully in line with his earlier behaviour. Leonan has little use for law, but he wouldn't challenge townmaster without proof. He avoids conflict if possible and that includes discussion with the priest in front of the townmaster.
On the other hand, he would have no trouble going back to the inn thus obeying the order and immediately setting out. We have one healthy prisoner which will have not problems going back to the hideout and warning them of our coming. Leonan prefers subtler approach, maybe with redcloaks as masking first impression and entering from the secret passage and trying to saw confusion among the rogues...

I realise it is hard with two dwarves and a dragonborn, but we can try :) It should be easier then a) fight all of the bandits in a single big fight and b) risking hostages lives (if they are not already dead or deported for goblin(oid) fort). Anyhow, I'm against splitting the party (however it may have looked before) - in this case, we did good by splitting since we prevented two to escape (good work Axel) and it was easy fight in front of the tavern.

We tried big fight in the goblin lair (true, with two players missing) - in this case we know there are human thugs (at least some will surely have missile capabilities), at least 1 spellcaster (that Glasstaff fellow) and at least one goblin. Possibly more of them or some of the more powerful ones serving as guards, contacts or just transporting prisoners and goods - possibly those orcs we are hearing about (although, I think they are not connected due to townmasters offer to get rid of them.

So...what do you guys think? Do we leave town for the moment and try some side quests until things get back to normal and then storm the bandits or we go immediately?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
[Side note: Eddicus is Chaotic Good. He tries to hide part of his alignment through his attempts to get along with people. His Chaotic side did show through, however, in the moment he decided to go along with Castagyr and take matters into the party's own hands by confronting the Redbrands, despite the townmaster's having stated that "They're not so bad."
If Eddicus had been Lawful, I think he might have tried to become deputized to confront the bad guys before acting. As it is, he tries to do Good regardless of its legality; but he also tries to use whatever Wisdom he might have to do so in a careful way, so he won't commit too much reckless behavior that could make matters worse.]

The townmaster did instruct the group not to leave town, as (he says) we are (or some of us are) still under investigation for murder.

I can visualize the townmaster's trying to "give us enough rope to hang ourselves with" -- if we bolt now, he could easily conclude that we're guilty, and that we did not act in self-defense.

Maybe we want to ask Sildar to come along with us and fill us in on more details about what the Redbrands are up to? He's from Phandalin, isn't he? Wouldn't he know? (And if he will not do that, then he could be a member of the same "faction" as the townmaster. . . .)

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
He was a prisoner and may not know how bad things got. As for leaving town...the hideout is still within the surrounding area, isn't it? As are outlying farms...the worst (for my thinking) is staying still and waiting for Redbrands to come for us in their own time and place. If we destroy the hideout we're bound to find SOME evidence of wrongdoing...or we could just leave town and the townsfolk come to us. We would have to let them know where we are (the goblin cave) :)

mips42

Adventurer
As far as you've been able to determine, the main Redbrand hideout is likely underneath the ruins of Tresendar Manor and would, therefore, be within town limits.
[sblock=Harbin] as a peek behind the screen, so to speak, Harbin has been completely intimidated and cowed by the Redbrands and, therefore, both desperate to try to get rid of them and fearful of retribution should someone try and fail...[/sblock]
Sildar was a cohort of Gundrens that was traveling with him when they got ambushed so, no, he's not from Phandalin. From what is in the module about him, which isn't much TBH, he seems to be lawful neutral to lawful good and a member of the LOrds Alliance (if I remember correctly) and therefore supports a stronger hand in local law enforcement. A lot of the details of these characters (personality and such) are left pretty open for the GM.

Axel

First Post
And that's exactly my how it should be!

Can we get a rough time of day? I'd think mid to late afternoon, but it's quite possible I missed something.

mips42

Adventurer
If you are in need of healing, now is not a bad time to do it as you might not have a chance later. Then again, the sooner you deal with the Redbrands, the sooner you'll be able to to move on to other things.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Which of the party even got a scratch? I recall Vottr's having taken a few points of damage; but he is a Fighter, so he has Second Wind for that (by now? doesn't he?).

Maybe the best course is to go down the rabbit hole immediately, before Townmaster Harbin Wester unties the Redbrands who have already been defeated. I was going to have Eddicus say something about that IC, but I've been awfully verbose lately. (Maybe someone else wants to mention it?)

If I have time on my hands, I'll look back through the IC postings of that fight to see who has taken damage.

Edit: I should have read the IC thread first. Leonan covered most of that.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
I actually don't mind Leonan's plan, and it makes a good deal of sense.

Brlo and Leonan together on an 'unrestricted' battlefield (ie not a dungeon) would actually be quite tough to beat.

What I am struggling with is to give Brlo motivation to do it. He genuinely doesn't care much about the Redbands (it's a local human thing, not his problem), worries for Vottr and doesn't really trust Castagyr. I'll try and come up with something in reply today - wasted enough time thinking.

Remove ads