• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Loading Crossbows

sdt

First Post
When using an attack power with a crossbow do I need to use a minor action to load ammunition? Suppose I'm using Blinding Barrage, is it possiable to use a crossbow for this attack?

Danceofmasks

First Post
Yes, you can blinding barrage with a crossbow.
P.217, under Load:
If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power.

CapnZapp

Legend
The reason that crossbows are allowed such unrealistically quick reload times is of course that they'd otherwise be completely eclipsed by quicker weapons, such as bows.

The underlying reason is that in 4E, no weapon can deliver an insta-kill. In real history, it didn't matter too much that crossbows were slow to reload, as you didn't need more than one bolt to do the job. They were popular anyways, primarily because they were more efficient than the longbow when used by inexperienced soldiers.

The introduction of hit points into a game necessitates a complete transformation of this weapon. We still call it a crossbow, but if you're concerned about its unrealistic reload times, its easier if you think of it as a completely different weapon, one that never appeared in our own world's history.

Zapp :)

sdt

First Post
Actually, I was wondering about the viability of making a Crossbow wielding Archer Ranger. It seems this is not a good idea as I need to take a minor action each round to load the weapon which I often need for Hunters Quarry.

^^ Is there no 'rapid reload' feat in 4E, I can't seem to find one on the compendium. I would certainly house rule one in if a player of mine wanted to use the x-bow

LittleFuzzy

First Post
I don't think there's a rapid reload feat, but I think there's a paragon path *either rogue or ranger, can't remember which now* which has that effect as a feature. Even with a feat like that, I think the crossbow comes out behind the bow in damage. The only reason beyond concept *which is easy to reskin* for a ranger to use a crossbow is if they're multi-classed into rogue. My hafling ranger was using a crossbow for a while for that reason.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Actually, I was wondering about the viability of making a Crossbow wielding Archer Ranger. It seems this is not a good idea as I need to take a minor action each round to load the weapon which I often need for Hunters Quarry.

It costs a minor action, but where's the problem?
If someone is still your quarry, shoot 'em.
If someone isn't your quarry (for they are dead), just stand still, designate, and shoot.
Gets better once you have the Steady Shooter feat (p206) ... adds +3 to every damage roll ... so if you twin strike ...

If you really need a machinegun, Swiftshot Crossbow (AV p79) allows loading as a free action.

What's more, having to load a crossbow in combat is awesome fluff.
Just think of the imagery, scrambling to get more bolts off ... and the occasional bits of crazy as you use powers like Split the Tree.

Oh, and on the issue of damage, Superior Crossbow has +3 to hit ... hitroll > damroll.

Remove ads