Lone Wolf II: The Lakuri Gambit (MS 5022)

Relenoir

First Post
"When a Kai and a dwarf showed up, I figured there's something big going on. Do any of you have any idea what they could've been looking for?"

Moon's Brand, unsure of how the pirate would feel about the Wildlands were to be 'cleaned out' by the joint forces of Durenor, Sommerlund, and what passes for law enforcement in the Wildlands, or about the fact that they are the object of the Darklords' attention, she chooses her words carefully. "There was a coach to be sent from Durenor to Sommerlund some weeks back that never arrived. On the coach was a document that was supposed to name a number of suspected traitors to the Darklords in Holmgard named by a known defector who had been caught in Ryme. Word was sent about his apprehension, and that he was to be sent to Hammerdal for questioning by a member of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star who is currently residing there. This information should have easily been obtained by the mage, but the information never came. We suspect the Darklords intercepted the coach, and may be remaining vigilant to prevent the information from reaching Sommerlund by any means possible. We are trying to get to Durenor through a less likely route, because we have been sent to retrieve the information. Still, the fact that they are so interested in this area makes me wonder if the document was actually found, or if they're still looking for it in the area. Very strange indeed. I wonder what else this fellow in Hammerdal knows?" she finishes.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
"I've no idea," Kazan says as he pushes his plate back, his meal downed. He belches unapologetically and makes idle conversation for an hour or so until he excuses the small band and retires to his bunk.

As the others find their ways towards their cabins, they notice that it is storming outside. Rain pounds the sides of the ship, and the sea heaves menacingly. Forked bolts of lightning jag out of the sky to give the seas of the Rymerift -- extremely rough, even when not in a storm -- a ghostly pallor.

You hear shouts from abovedecks.

Moon's Brand:
[sblock]You get a severe feeling of dread. You cannot pinpoint its source other than that it lies outside and it seems to be near the limits of your senses.[/sblock]Sorry about the length of time again. Same stuff as last time. I won't be able to post everyday as I was earlier, but I can certainly try for every few days. I'm not going to abandon the game like so many other PbP DMs, though! And BTW, Relenoir, thanks for the bit about the Crystal Star in Hammerdal. Works out nicely. :)

Last edited:

Relenoir

First Post
Moon's Brand blanches, nearly nauseous from the knot that suddenly appeared in her abdomen. "Something is very wrong," she says to her companions, "I can feel it. To the deck everyone, now!" Moon's Brand swallows hard, trying to dissipate the uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, and races for the main deck.

No problem Andrew; hopefully when life gets a little less complicated you'll be able to post more often again. :) Glad I was able to give you a good idea as well! :D Just an FYI, I know Paido is in the process of moving, so he may be having trouble joining us for a bit still, but I know he plans to stay involved. Incidentally, I am going on vacation from the 15th to the 25th of April, and won't be posting then. Just so you don't think I'm abandoning! Have you thought about asking for a couple more players to join us?

Paido

First Post
After a closer look at Moon's Brand's face, Jesabela swallows the good-natured remark about landlubber stomachs she already had on her tongue. Muttering something depreciating about Naar's anatomy and getting a bad feeling, she hurries after the young Kai ...

Sorry all around for the delay! Yes, I have been moving. In fact, I have already moved out, though not yet fully moved in, so there's still a certain amount of chaos over here. But as Relenoir already said, I am definitely not even thinking about abandoning the game! (I'd try to at least notify you guys if that ever where the case, too.) Glad to hear you're not going to, too, Andrew! I really like our adventures here! :) Hope you'll manage to stay on top of RL - crossing my thumbs for you! ;)

Relenoir

First Post
Meant to ask about this before:
The last was a thin man, thin as a rail, wearing a strange silky robe, with a green demon-mask covering his face.
Andrew: Would I have any suspicion as to who or what this might have been? My personal guess would be a Cener Druid, but of course Moon's Brand may or may not have learned anything about them. I have Knowledge: History and Knowledge: Darklands if either will assist, and a +4 INT bonus.
Back in character:
"Come on Hoagar, move those legs!" Moon's Brand calls over her shoulder, hoping the dwarf is right behind.
(Relenoir's way of saying he hopes Krug is still with us) :uhoh:
Leaving for vacation on Friday, and hoping for something to respond to before that. . . ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
As you come up on the top deck, the Kai stops short as a black-fletched iron arrow thumps into the mast. Soon, a storm of similar arrows rains from the sky. The companions look in the direction of the arrow flights and sees an ominous black-sailed ship, flying a sickly green flag emblazoned with a scarlet serpent, approaching with preternatural speed from the south. An instant later, grappling hooks shoot out, connecting the black ship to the Lakuri vessel, and a number of skull-faced Drakkarim soldiers leap onto the deck.

Find it! booms a thunderous voice. Surprisingly, the speaker is still standing in the forecastle of the black ship. A thin man, clad all in black, with a green mask. The creature seen by Captain Kazan in the dungeons of Ragadorn. The captain rushes out of the hall and closes in a duel with a Death Knight captain.

There they are! it hisses as it sees you. With a thunderous roar, a massive creature appears on one of the makeshift bridges built by the Drakkarim. It hefts a massive black war-axe and, looking at the assembled companions, snarls menacingly - a Gourgaz!

Initiatives!

Moon's Brand:
[sblock]Who or what the figure may have been you have no idea, but as the black ship nears, you recognize the flag of Darklord Khatellu.[/sblock]

Relenoir

First Post
"Oh great, minions of Darklord Khatellu," Moon's Brand warns her companions. "Be ready for the worst!" As they avoid the hail of arrows, Moon's Brand strings her bow, readying it for combat. The Gourgaz moves towards them, and the instant it turns its ugly head in their direction she fires her first shot.
Rolled a 19, plus 4 for initiative modifier gives me 23! :D
Moon's Brand will attempt to get an action before initiative to fire if possible. If not, she will avoid melee combat and fire arrows until she has no other choice. Obviously, if the Gourgaz is moving to attack her she'll drop the bow to draw her sword so she can defend herself, perhaps getting an attack of opportunity. If anyone is hurt badly and she is not in combat or threatened, she'll heal them.
Leaving for vacation. Be back April 25th. Have fun! :)

Krug

Newshound
Hoagar draws his rifle and fires. "Minions of darkness or not... havesomeof this!" He will attempt to step as close to the others to close any gaps.

Paido

First Post
Jesabela groans at the sight of the scaled beast. "Do our enemies get larger each time, or is it just me? Oh, damn, fine ..."

Backing away from her companions with a look of fear on her face, she hurriedly clambers up to the quarterdeck. Praying that the monster will pay more attention to its two attackers than a fleeing coward, she keeps her head low to avoid drawing attention to her. Once up on the deck, she grabs a rope, makes a quick estimate of the distance, vaults over the railing and swings on the rope towards the Gourgaz, her feet leading the way ...

Andrew:
[sblock]Got a 20 for IN (16+4). The action describes above heavily depends on Jesabela being able to catch that Gourgaz while it is still on the bridge, hoping to knock it over the side into the sea. I'm not sure about the distances we have here, and about the speed of the Gourgaz (maybe it takes its time to raise the intimidation factor? :heh: ); Jesabela might be able to gauge that better than me. Should she have reason to deem that action impossible, she'll stay with her companions, cutlass drawn. I'll leave that in your hands! :)[/sblock]

Sorry again for being so late; RL=Chaos over here. Hope it gets better in the next weeks ... :confused:

Relenoir

First Post
Okay, I'm back, and . . . hmm, nothing happened yet! Glad I didn't miss anything. Guess everyone's ready to go, but I was the only one who actually rolled my initiative. Was I supposed to leave that for you Andrew? If so, sorry. . . :eek:
Now where's she off to? Moon's Brand thinks as Jesabela retreats behind her. Remembering what happened in Ragadorn with the Helghast, she dismisses her concerns. Must have something up her sleeve, she muses, readying herself to fight the Gourgaz.

Remove ads