• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a modern setting RPG

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Quick question; is there any way to get in contact with the publishers of ultramodern5? I really want to help with making improvements to the system. Literally half the classes use wisdom, a few pages are out of order and the wording can be a bit wonky sometimes.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
ultramodern5 has been very fun. Surprised my players that they cannot make OA attacks anymore and a group of kolbolds armed with melee weapons almost ganked the gunslinger. Said gunslinger now has a fear of midgets.

This is why you should never work for a black budget research lab guarding the head vivisectionist when they are researching things normally found in books and movies. So yes, our medic technically is a vivisectionist who cuts open elves and dwarves to see the differences. Legally. Sanctioned by the UN. With his own personal bodyguards.

Happy dreams!

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Favorite quote of our three sessions of ultramodern5:

*stand off with an unusually intelligent gnoll who has taken a hostage of a local schoolteacher and is holding a machete to her throat*

Gnoll: *unintelligible gibberish, possibly insults about the parties masculinity, sexual orientation and promiscuousness of their mothers*

Clark:.....You want to do WHAT with my ex-wife?

*gnoll, being furious that the human didn't lower his weapon as they are supposed to in this situation, lets go of the hostage and charges clark, who has readied an action to shoot the gnoll if it charges, lands the hit, kills the gnoll outright*

Clark: works every time.

aramis erak

Legend
What I have planned is a quasi-government agency operating in a world where magic and monsters are real, but hidden. Arcane magic is old and unstable, but is less stressful and more reliable than psionic magic. Psionic magic is newer and more consistent in its effects, but doesn't always work and is heavily taxing on the body. The players may have access to both of these but they should be rather rare. Class wise, I would expect to see specialized roles like sniper, hacker, medic. Mechanically using something similar to 5e in how streamlined it is.

Most of the gmes supporting this style of play well dont use classes:

The following four are all hex-grid as the presumed combat mapping, point build universal systems
  • CORPS - 1e was a conspiracies game; 2E is generic, with a "build your own" system for paranormal powers, which can easily be tweaked for having two or more. uses only 1d10 per player.
  • EABA - dice-by-ability (in same range as d6 system or WOIN), has building systems for vehicles, gadgets, and paranormal powers. Better written than CORPS, by the same author.
  • GURPS. Which, while it has Magic, Psi, and Supers, wasn't really intended for those to be in the same setting, and you'll wind up having to houserule the * out of them to get what you're looking for... see Psi is the easy but limited one, Magic is much more fatiguing, and both are pseudo-technology - they work almost all the time. Supers and Psi use the same mechanics and modality.
  • Hero System - Because the default mode is supers, you can scale back, and because of the modifiers system, you can make magic and psi very distinct by setting different required power modifiers. It does alright at the low-end, and hasn't had near the power creep over the years that GURPS has, so it remains a powerful toolkit approach.

BRP by Chaosium is an excellent general moderns system; it has Magic and psi, but like GURPS, those are mechanically well defined, and may not do what you're looking for.

There's also FFG's "GENESYS" coming out soon, which is a generic narrative dice system adaptable to many different settings

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

It's out already ... have my copy.

Remove ads