• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for rules light

punkorange

First Post
Okay, so I'm getting ready to run my wife and a couple new players in a d20 rpg, but I was thinking of trying to find a rules light d20 system and since I've never done any research in that area of d20 I ask you guys, give me some reviews on rules light d20 systems.

Thanks, PoC

UnsocialEntity

First Post
There's a boxed set released by Wizards called 'D&D basic game'. I think it may be what you're looking for. Unfortunately i've never used it, or even seen the contents of it, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was good or not. However, it is meant for players who have never played the game before, so it *sounds* like a good idea.

Whisper72

Explorer
Well, there you go. Castles and Crusades....

If you want simpler (i.e. like good ole D&D), you can also download OSRIC for free...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
True20. Personaly, I prefer Blue Rose (the precursor of True20) for newer players and the ladies. It's much more rules light, and if you're not keen on making a uber-world, the campaign setting is very female-friendly. Romantic Fantasy, they call it. Don't be put off by the description, however... the genre is much more than it appears.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Herobizkit said:
True20. Personaly, I prefer Blue Rose (the precursor of True20) for newer players and the ladies. It's much more rules light, and if you're not keen on making a uber-world, the campaign setting is very female-friendly. Romantic Fantasy, they call it. Don't be put off by the description, however... the genre is much more than it appears.
Seconded. A nice and easy system, that is darn simple - and you only need a d20. Though I must admit, that the Blue Rose-book has a far better design.

However, Blue Rose treats spellcasting a bit differently, having something akin to "corruption".

Ry

Explorer
True20 is easy and good, but the damage track is more trouble than its worth. Throw hit points back into the system (easy as pie, easier than pi) and you've got a REALLY strong rules-light ruleset.

Also, one of the best things for introducing gamers is pre-gen characters. I know that we expect the ritual of building characters before play, but to learn what to do, pregens are great. Alternatively, "pre-gens but pick your feats" is cool too.

Technomancer

First Post
I'll second Castles and Crusades. Character creation is astoundingly simple. Roll your six attributes, pick your primes (primary attributes), buy your equipment, apply and racial modifiers, and your done. 5-10 minutes and you're good to go. It doesn't have the vast array of options and character builds as D&D, but it's great for rules lite.

Aus_Snow

First Post
True20.

Personally, I think it is just fine without throwing HP "back" in. That would defeat part of the purpose, IMO.

Anyway, I've found the system to be pretty neat and tidy in chargen, prep and play, so far. Maybe not absolutely perfect in every regard, but if you have doubts about anything, the people at the True20 forums are always more than happy to help out. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads