D&D 5E Looking to make my first 5e character, feeling pretty overwhelmed and looking for help

Volund

Explorer
Here's a problem I found that I don't quite know how to tackle. I 100% want to use a one handed weapon. 'Rule of cool' and all that. The prblem is that it just flat out always does less than Eldritch Blast

And therein lies the problem with the bladelock. It gets worse at Tier 3 and 4 (which I admittedly have not played yet with these characters) when EB gives 3 beam attacks at 11th level and four at 17th (better even than fighters, who don't get 4 attacks until level 20). At that point even the two handed weapons don't keep up without GWM power attacks. You just live with it because bladelocks are cool and not every class will be the best at everything. Other classes will outshine bladelocks in melee and single round damage but they won't have the spells the bladelock has. My workaround with my EK/tomelock is that at Fighter 1 I took the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style from the Underdark UA, which as written, and as seconded by Mike Mearls, applies to ranged spell attacks as well as ranged weapon attacks. It gives a +1 to ranged attacks and allows ranged attacks to be made at 5' without disadvantage. My EK just blasts people point blank in the face with EB which I play like he's wielding some sort of force weapon. I'll have to use an ASI on the Warcaster feat to be able to hold a weapon and cast EB, and until then I don't have an opportunity attack, which kind of sucks for a fighter. Not exactly what you are looking for but it's how I turned EB into a one-handed melee weapon, sort of.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Look to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide for your answers.
Warlocks get the weapon cantrips, which keeps them somewhat on par.

Yeah that definitely seems like kind of a problem. I talked to my DM who's making similar concessions for other players, like our ranged smiting paladin with reduced damage (2d6 vs 2d8) and she's going to allow me to use a Longsword 2-handed and still get the Hexblade's cha to attack/damage. I think with that concession I've got enough reason to stick with the Hexblade patron vs going with another since now I've got a 1d10 option at either melee or ranged. I mean yeah it'll still get outscaled way later in life, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. The main thing I didn't want was some big clunky sword to swing around, but a lithe lil' katana is gonna be perfect. I definitely don't mind swinging that two-handed.

Edit: Sorry Yunru, didn't see your reply there. Yeah I'm taking the Green-Flame Blade cantrip, but it still makes a bit of an awkward scenario if there's just one dude left since my better option is to drop back and blast.

Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I'm going to go with Yunru. EB is awesome damage, but only a base d10 until you get into higher levels. The SCAG cantrips let you make those melee attacks and add in some effects for Rule of Cool. You could also look at a single level of fighter to get you a fighting style (duelist).

Squirrels are evil!

mellored

Legend
Edit: Sorry Yunru, didn't see your reply there. Yeah I'm taking the Green-Flame Blade cantrip, but it still makes a bit of an awkward scenario if there's just one dude left since my better option is to drop back and blast.
Unless he is prone...
..which is a bit tricky for a warlock to do by himself, but helpful in the right party.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
When Eldritch Blast is doing 4d10+20, Booming Blade canbe doing 1d12+3d8 (6?)+5, up to 1d12+7d8 (6?)+5 if they move. It's... somewhat comparable.

Hmm. I might houserule them up to 1d12. They should be better than Firebolt, requiring being in melee.

So if my math is right, at level 3 swinging a 1-handed sword (back to one handed again, ho hum) I'll be doing 1d8+3(cha)+2(Hexblade's curse)+3(burning hex)+1d6(Hex spell) totaling out at 1d8+1d6+8(with curse) 1d8+1d6+3(no curse), and then Cha to another enemy with Green-Flame Blade. Is that...sorta low? I dunno, maybe I'm misunderstanding the fundamental math of the game but that seems awfully low to me. Now it will go up pretty significantly at level 4 because I'll get my cha up to 18 and I'll be multi-classing into Fighter for the Dueling fighting style which will bump my damage to 1d8+1d6+12(with curse) total, 1d8+1d6+6(no curse) without. I dunno. It just seems underwhelming, but maybe that's normal? I don't really have a baseline to compare anything to here so I'm kind of just guessing.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Consider that Eldritch Blast is considered the single best attack cantrip in the game, possibly even too strong, and that only does 1d10+Cha mod at level 3.

I mean if I used Eldritch Blast in the above the calculations would all be the same except it'd be 1d10 instead of 1d8 and not getting the duelist stuff at level 4, but I see where you're coming from. I'll be perfectly capable in combat. Baller, that's what I needed to read ha ha.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Yeah... You're kind of doing well over the norm as it is. I have a Barb3/fighter1 who is dual-weilding for 1d8+5 for his two attacks while raging.

Squirrels are evil!

Remove ads