D&D 5E Lore Bard Debuffer: Spell Selection and Choice of Dip

smbakeresq

Explorer
Since you are planning everything work out your polymorphs now. Get them stated up and ready to go with your DM.

Your DM might be liberal with them, I only let players polymorph into something their PC would know about. T- Rex is a favorite, but how many people in your average D&D world would even know such a creature ever existed? This gives your PC a chance to grow, and if your DM works with you on this then your DM becomes invested in your PC also and enjoys the game more. Since I limit polymorph this way I will let my players use some non-beast forms if it’s something they have encountered before.

I find polymorph to be effective on spell casters the most. For example you can have your Wizard run through his spells faster secure in the knowledge that when he runs out of spell slots you can transform him into a combat creature so he can contribute that way. This way a wizards low AC and HP are less of a factor.

Of course you can do this yourself also, when you run low on slots run through your forms.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Summons could be good spell secrets for your PC also, to act as tanks on the front line. Summer Greater Demon can get you a Tanarukk is a good brute choice.

Find Greater Steed is immense and the creature understands you so it can benefit from Inspiring Leader to beef it up some.

Summon spells have a table advantage also, you get to act twice as much in every combat round.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Here's a handy list of Paladin exclusive spells. Except you get to poach them with Magical Secrets.
Aura of Vitality (healing) and Aura of Purity (support) are both good picks.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Here's a handy list of Paladin exclusive spells. Except you get to poach them with Magical Secrets.

As a Bard always check out Paladin spells. The spells given to Paladins are balanced around them being half casters and thus getting them later. For example although you don't need it, a Paladin gets Aura of Vitality at level 9 to heal 20-120 HP at range over 10 rounds. You can get at level 6 and do the same, or level 7 with a life cleric dip at level 1 to heal 70-170 HP. Destructive Wave is just ok when a Paladin gets it at level 17, its much better for a Bard at level 10.

It doesn't fit with your group, but Crusaders Mantle is a great poach if you have it paired with a bunch of attacks, like someone elses animate objects.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Whatever MC you pick make sure you work out a theme and background and backstory that pulls it all together. Grounding your PC that way glues it all together and makes it all flow better.

Esker

Hero
I find that spell choice isn't so much problem, spell slots are.

I could see that; I've been highly valuing having more spells known, since it feels like there are so many I want to be able to take, and it's hard to have to exclude so many. But spell slots do seem really precious, and so far (mid level 2) I've used literally every spell slot I've spent to cast Sleep.

The extra skills from Lore are fine, but you will get the ones you need anyway being a half elf bard and Jack of All Trades gives you half to the rest.

Yeah, JoaT definitely makes those extra skills less valuable, at least in Tier 1 when it only means a +1. We do have some holes with INT skills, though I dumped INT so my bard isn't going to be that useful for awhile even if he does get proficiency there.

The choice is really MC something to get armor and go Lore bard or something to get cantrips and spell versatility and go Valor Bard.

Of course, Hexblade gives both armor and cantrips (less spell versatility than Sorcerer, though if the choice is Lore X / Hexblade 1 vs. Valor X / Sorcerer 1, you can make up the difference with extra magical secrets. Of course, as you note, starting sorcerer eliminates the need for Resilient CON). If you're taking a dip anyway, do you think not having to pick a dip that gets medium armor and shields, plus whatever else Valor offers you, is still worth giving up what Lore offers, plus the price of being forced to spend a feat pretty early on Warcaster?

Last edited:

Esker

Hero

Thanks! That is a handy list. I had looked at both of those, having seen them recommended in other places, and decided against them in favor of Circle of Power, though they definitely seem like good spells. It's definitely possible though that my list has too many disable-type spells and that I should diversify and take more buff/protection spells. I probably don't really need things that target so many different saves, as long as I have some diversity there.

Esker

Hero
Summons could be good spell secrets for your PC also, to act as tanks on the front line. Summer Greater Demon can get you a Tanarukk is a good brute choice.

Find Greater Steed is immense and the creature understands you so it can benefit from Inspiring Leader to beef it up some.

Summon spells have a table advantage also, you get to act twice as much in every combat round.

Yeah, Find Greater Steed does seem awesome, especially the no concentration part. Feels more valorish (or glamorish!) than loreish in flavor, but I'm sure I could make it work. I mean, he's a bard. He's showy. What's showier than going around with a f-ing griffon?

Remove ads