• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost 05/16/07 "Greatest Hits"

LightPhoenix

First Post
It's funny how Charlie gets the most awful episode ever (Fire+Water) and then gets this one.

I said it on TWOP, but the episode should have ended with Charlie sinking into the water. It would have been a lot more poignant.

If they were really ballsy, they'd have not shown anything down there. Just have Des meet up with Jack et al at the tower, and have the phone working. It would work well too, if Charlie lives. Then, he can pop up next season.

Also, this episode would have been a lot stronger without commercials, or with limited ones at the very least. It'll be great to watch this episode without them, on the DVD.

I teared up a bit. :uhoh:

I like how Charlie basically has a family, and they're mostly disconnected from the Jack-group. Hurley, Desmond, and Claire are basically the family that the main characters could have forged.

Sayid continues to be awesome. When Sayid was lecturing Jack about being a leader, I literally said aloud, "No, Sayid should be leader!"

Loved the quip about keeping secrets from Charlie. If Charlie dies, I would love to see the Losties start sharing information based on that, in memory of him. He could be a polarizing death, that gets the group to start working together. I'm guessing no though.

All in all, aside from the commercials every ten minutes really breaking the momentum of the episode, I thought it was really well done. I can see why this episode was once called Flashes Before My Eyes, but I think Greatest Hits is a much more clever title.

Banshee16

First Post
Any particular reason that the women down there can't be Dharma Initiative survivors? That was one of the things I thought of. What if the Others couldn't get down to the base? Though, given they had a sub, I guess that idea doesn't quite work.

Unless they'd had trouble getting in, because the people on down there have weapons, and the Others couldn't swim guns down, or something. Who knows? Maybe that's where they were holding Jack..

Banshee

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
They must be Others who Ben has abandoned. I bet we find out that some of the other Others would have wanted to save them is Ben hadn't said the place had been flooded. I wonder if they will turn on Ben and if the other Others that still follow Ben will eventually turn on him, too. I wonder if someday Ben will wind up with the Lostaways having to work against the Others.

Does that particular woman Charlie rescued in the alley have any other significance yet? If not, I'll bet she will sometime in the future. Her or the purse snatcher who ran away might.

I wonder how the writers will use the ring? Maybe as Claire's poignant moment. Or maybe someone else will get the ring and use it in some way to cause harm down the line.

Demmero

Explorer
Mark CMG said:
Does that particular woman Charlie rescued in the alley have any other significance yet? If not, I'll bet she will sometime in the future. Her or the purse snatcher who ran away might.

That was Sayid's beloved Nadia.

John Crichton

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
It's funny how Charlie gets the most awful episode ever (Fire+Water) and then gets this one.

I said it on TWOP, but the episode should have ended with Charlie sinking into the water. It would have been a lot more poignant.

If they were really ballsy, they'd have not shown anything down there. Just have Des meet up with Jack et al at the tower, and have the phone working. It would work well too, if Charlie lives. Then, he can pop up next season.
Couldn't disagree more. This sets up the finale for 3 (maybe 4) different stories going on at once and coming to a head. Losties to the tower, the shooters, Charlie in the Looking Glass and maybe Locke's mis-adventures. :D

LightPhoenix said:
Also, this episode would have been a lot stronger without commercials, or with limited ones at the very least. It'll be great to watch this episode without them, on the DVD.
One word: TiVo. ;) I hardly watch live TV anymore so I can't speak to the interruption issues but to say that I would prolly agree.

LightPhoenix said:
Sayid continues to be awesome. When Sayid was lecturing Jack about being a leader, I literally said aloud, "No, Sayid should be leader!"
Sayid! My favorite character from the start. I don't think he needs to be leader. He's a much better kingmaker.

LightPhoenix said:
All in all, aside from the commercials every ten minutes really breaking the momentum of the episode, I thought it was really well done. I can see why this episode was once called Flashes Before My Eyes, but I think Greatest Hits is a much more clever title.
Hmm, my DirecTV guide called it Greatest Hits. Odd.

Taelorn76

First Post
Mark CMG said:
They must be Others who Ben has abandoned. I bet we find out that some of the other Others would have wanted to save them is Ben hadn't said the place had been flooded. I wonder if they will turn on Ben and if the other Others that still follow Ben will eventually turn on him, too. I wonder if someday Ben will wind up with the Lostaways having to work against the Others.

I think the others are starting to turn on Ben. You saw how Richard was questioning him when he returned. His "daughter" ran to save the losties. You could tell this episode that Ben is starting to loose it.

If Ben has abandoned those people in the looking glass, I think they will help Charlie escape and help turn the tide on Ben.

LightPhoenix

First Post
John Crichton said:
Couldn't disagree more. This sets up the finale for 3 (maybe 4) different stories going on at once and coming to a head. Losties to the tower, the shooters, Charlie in the Looking Glass and maybe Locke's mis-adventures. :D

Fair enough. Different tastes and all.

One word: TiVo. ;) I hardly watch live TV anymore so I can't speak to the interruption issues but to say that I would prolly agree.

I know you're a techie, but not all of us have the motivation, or in my case, money, to afford TiVo. Not that I would bother with it without digital cable, which I don't have either. For that matter, I don't even have regular cable. Still, it's not like I can't afford a VCR. Even with that though, you have to stop and fast-forward.

[/quote]
Sayid! My favorite character from the start. I don't think he needs to be leader. He's a much better kingmaker.

Hmm, my DirecTV guide called it Greatest Hits. Odd.[/QUOTE]

Sayid so needs to be leader because of that. Jack sucks anyway.

The working title, before they changed it, was Flashes Before My Eyes. Eventually they changed it to Greatest Hits, and I think they actually moved it back in the season to now, from earlier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads