• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost Ears and Eyes

howandwhy99

Adventurer
There are no rules I know of for single eyed creatures. A Cyclops has a limited range of vision, but still looks about itself. That's the default for any 3.x rules I know of: every angle is being looked at. All Around Vision may simply mean the impossibility of being Surprised.

If you want to build a house rule for 1-eyed creatures (however they became that way), you might want to start there. With a penalty on being Surprised.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I am thinking a creature that loses an eye gets a penalty on Spot and Search, losing an ear should give a penalty on Spot and Listen checks. Either one may give the victim a penalty on initiative. I am think -2 or -4. Thoughts?

In the last game I ran, the fighter angered a god. The god took his eye. I looked around and discovered that human vision is incredibly complicated. So I settled on a straight -1 on attack rolls and skill checks that involve vision. I did give him a +1 on intimidate too. Because I could. :p

In the 3.5 DMG (pg 27) there is a variant rule on damaging specific areas.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Well, I have an invocation that can remove an eye or ear and I am thinking it should have some effect on the target other than aesthetics. In real life blowing an ear drum or getting an eye popped out causes some serious limitations. The game should reflect this. Also, I do not want to contradict any existing rules for this if they already exist...

Ahnehnois

First Post
IIRC (I don't have my books handy) there is a bit in the DMG section on houserules that basically suggests a -2 penalty to relevant rolls and says what those rolls might be.

Given that there's nothing in the core rules that could cause a character to lose one eye, I wouldn't expect a lot of information on what happens when you do.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Okay, I am going to say losing an eye gives you a -2 on Spot checks and attack rolls; losing an ear gives you a -2 on Listen checks. Sound reasonable?

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
No mechanical penalty whatsoever. I might have NPC's comment and make decisions based on it, or force him to make an extra skill check in social encounters, but we're supposed to be bad asses here. She / he would surely get used to it enough so that they'd be able to fight/adventure without being affected enough that it merits a mechanical penalty, right?

Remove ads