Lou's (3.5/Homebrew Gestalt) Hold Back the Flood - OOC

Lou

Explorer
Okay, I put Cyrill up in the RG. The background I had was largely based on the other game he was originally designed for. I think it will need a re-write. What's the story now?

You can pretty much pick your own background. All PCs are from the area near the free city of Monford, the capitol of the Confederation Council. Monford is at the western edge of the Crescent. The mountains west of Monford are home to mines of all types, sizes, and means. (Think the Mines of Moria crossed with open pits set into the Himalayas.)

PCs are from an inland continent inside a ring of exceptionally high mountains called the Crescent, about 2000 miles N-S and 1500 miles W-E. There are no salt seas, only large freshwater lakes. The only passable exit is to the east to the Savage Lands. Mount Zune to the N is the highest mountain known, over 35,000 feet high, home to the gods. It is continually in the clouds. A large river exits the base of Mount Zune, splits into two and flows east and west across the Crescent. he various nations inside the Crescent long ago formed a Confederation Council to oversee issues that affect all nations inside the Crescent. Building and manning the three walls between the Crescent and the Savage Lands was one of those issues.

About 100 years ago, Prince Barrat led the mission to build the walls and end the invasions from the Savage Lands. The Prince returned to parades and statues, but no one else from his expedition was ever heard from. According to Prince Barrat, his group were all heroes, dying to protect the Crescent from the aggressors from the Savage Lands. At his recommendation, an army was raised and sent to man the walls to prevent further invasions. Prince Barrat retired to his castle decades ago, insisting that he wanted to die at home undisturbed. The Confederation Council has a huge honor guard at the castle to prevent vandalism. No one has lived in the castle for the last 8 years, after the last living former servant to the prince died.

Each of the PCs has seen the small formal posting at the local ale house, the Bullpen, that a group of adventurers is wanted to accept a commission for a special assignment at the main wall at the border to the Savage Lands. No name or seal is present on the note. Strange that someone would want to put a special squad on the wall when the Confederation Council has just publicly announced that the army was being recalled from the wall, since the Savage Lands no longer threaten the Confederation.

Interested adventurers are to present themselves at the Ballroom of The Golden Centaur next Tuesday, the 8th of Aquarius in the common year 966. It is a strange place to invite adventurers, as The Golden Centaur has a strict dress code that few adventurers will meet.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Woo! That'll really help me out as I think of backgrounds.

Let me ask this...is there room for a character with a less civilized origin? The area of land seems pretty big, are there less explored areas, or deep dark forests that no one ever comes out of, or that sort of thing?

Leif

Adventurer
I guess So-Ju Wan Li should be from Monford. His absentee elf mother might be from one of those deep dark forests nearby. Or could be further away if you prefer. His father, Lee, could be one of the guards on a wall somewhere....

Lou

Explorer
Woo! That'll really help me out as I think of backgrounds.

Let me ask this...is there room for a character with a less civilized origin? The area of land seems pretty big, are there less explored areas, or deep dark forests that no one ever comes out of, or that sort of thing?

The southern part of the Crescent is still heavily forrested, despite heavy logging on the western edge to fuel mining operations.

Leif

Adventurer
The southern part of the Crescent is still heavily forrested, despite heavy logging on the western edge to fuel mining operations.
You mean just fires for the miners to see by, or do they have some sort of 'steam shovel' dealy? :D

Shayuri

First Post
Is this a strictly volunteer army, or are people conscripted at times too?

Perhaps as a result of, or in lieu of, a criminal judgement?

Lou

Explorer
Is this a strictly volunteer army, or are people conscripted at times too?

Perhaps as a result of, or in lieu of, a criminal judgement?

The army is volunteer, but conscription is known to happen. The PCs are being asked to volunteer for what seems to be a ridiculous mission.

Leif

Adventurer
"Ridiculous" as in 'funny, ha ha' or as in 'you must be freakin' ridiculous to want me to try that crazy sh**!' :D (I'm hoping for the former.....)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Okay, I finally settled on a name and posted my character to the RG. He's still missing a couple of things (gear and background), but the main info is there.

Which reminds me... I can't find the info at the moment, so I need to ask how are we determining gear/budget?

Also, I'm going to be out of town from Wednesday afternoon/evening to Monday. Just in case anything happens during that time, you know I won't be responding... :)

Remove ads