[LPF] Coils of Flame

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Arianna's spell does not reveal the presence of any magic underneath the magma. It does, however, show that Lesaar's chainmail is magical. It also reveals the glow of a magical aura from within the statue's base - the glow shines through the outlines of a hidden door. An aura glints from the mephit Andgronakraks as well, where he's smeared on the cavern wall like a swatted fly.

Drev's examination of the alcove reveals the back of a secret door - not concealed from this side. Opening it reveals the room filled with boiling mud.

Two of the dead mephits accessible to Elenka are wearing religious trappings, the holy symbols are a flame wreathed in shadows. The other dead 'nuisance' mephit is not wearing such a symbol, but a careful examination reveals that both of his legs are twisted and deformed; he'd be able to walk but his movement would be severely hampered. One of the mephits fell into the lava after Drev swatted it. The final two are still in lava form, and likely soon to be swallowed up by the pit as it closes.

jackslate45

First Post
Anaeiron nods to Drev "The same to you. I am hoping you enjoy the flight spell? Now then, to figure out how to get back over there. But first, did you magical sight show anything of interest?"

He activates his own magical detection spell, and gets to working identifying the magical enhancements on the chainmail in front of him.

Once compelted, Anaerion will take a detailed look at the statue. His interest in it is confirmed when Malkovian says "OO! So, what sort of thing could this be? A most fascinating find!"

[sblock=OOC]
Spellcraft at +20 for IDing Magical items. 3 Rolls incomming Chainmail: 1d20+20=36, Mephit: 1d20+20=37, Hidden: 1d20+20=33
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The armor is +1 Mithril chainmail. W/in the revealed compartment in the statue's base is a Bag of Holding (Type III), and within the Bag is a Wand of Flame Blade (31 Charges). The squished Earth Mephit Sorcerer is wearing a Ring of Force Shield.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"I can lift you up, Frauline, but moof across? Nein Ist not vhat I haf memorized." He then watches the salamander priest fall into the molten rock. "AH, Neffer mind indeed. Ja" . . . He moves to [I,3] the pit of magma mephets and uses Knowledge of the planes to see what he knows of the particular creatures, and detect magic to see if thy have any thing. . . . 1d20+11=20

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The creatures w/in the pit are revealed to be Magma Mephits by their ability to turn themselves into pools of lava. No magic items are revealed by Heinrich's detect magic.

Scott DeWar

"Nich goot, no good things here" He announces near the magma mephitis. he returns to keep watch over the party over the magma pool.

jackslate45

First Post
Once completed with his identification on items, Anaerion looks over to the far side of the lave. "Wow, that is a long way away. And I think I used up my short range teleports just now." "What about that super teleport you have?" "That is our trip out of here. With that, I can cross miles. Not using it on this. Once Pari was informed at least."

The disemboided voice says "Well, maybe you could hitch a ride on one of these two fine flyers? I think Drev could hold you in his palm now." Anaerion seems to consider the idea before looking up at Drev and Arianna. "Would one of you mind giving me a lift? I am trying to save my long distance teleport until we are ready to go. Would hopefully get us back to Venza after our jaunt to Tal Hallow. We can pick up the force shield ring on the imp, and I can go over what we found on this one." generataing vagly to the headless salamander.

Scott DeWar

Should someone start o fall into the lava, Heinrich will ready his levitate spell to lift whoever may fall.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]That wraps up the encounters for this adventure. Thoughts and discussion of the adventure, including constructive criticism, is more than welcome as we RP out the last bit.

The first post is updated through the last encounter. Once we officially conclude I'll finalize it and put up the Tracker pic.

Full Disclosure: This was a "Set Piece," an extra little side adventure, from Legacy of Fire, which was the last Paizo AP to include Set Pieces. I had to really beef up the encounters, since the original piece was written for a four person party of fourth or fifth level, and I had to rework the back story to make it fit E'n, but the basic idea was not my own work.

In the end it felt to me like I hit a good challenge level. There were a couple of times when I thought I'd maybe killed one or two of you (but didn't), and I never really felt like there was a danger of a TPK. It seemed like everyone got to contribute at least a little, though Heinrich was more neutralized than the others because of the nature of the foes.

This is the highest level party I've ever GM'd for, and I found I liked it. There was a lot to keep up with during the fights, but the really hard part for me was putting together encounters that had enough variety in their bags of tricks to challenge you. High level parties have a LOT of diverse abilities!

[sblock=Behind the Curtain]The Guardian of the Shrine was a Salamander/Fighter 05 with a couple of vanilla Salamander buddies. The Lava Shrine was six Magma Mephits, three with a level of Oracle and three with a level of Inquisitor. The final Mephit with the name was an Earth Mephit/Sorcerer 6 (he'd been shadowing you from the first room, and was the author of the falling ceiling). Lasaar was a Salamander/Cleric 5.[/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads