[LPF] Coils of Flame

Satin Knights

First Post
Once she has the wizard to safety and a shortcut to the mud pit through the secret door, Arianna drags the headless body to its anonymous grave as well. Clearing out a side pouch of her haversack, she puts the head in there for now, not sure is she is keeping it as a trophy, or simply going to dispose of it elsewhere. Maybe buried in the seabed. She might to that.

"Tanager should be proud. We put down the fire demons and made this barony a safer place to live."

Making another quick trip around, looking for more secret doors, "I think we have done everything here that we can. Is it time to go back and get paid?"
[sblock=Perception]Perception (1d20+18=24) Moot point, adventure is over, but she doesn't know that. :heh:[/sblock][sblock=ooc]It was a great game! Yeah, I was nervous for Arianna a couple times. I should be. That is what the game is about.

The use of extra levels on the creatures was good. Something above the base makes it harder to judge what will be effective against them. Yeah, Heinrich was screwed because of being so singly focused on fire. Now he has a reason to pick up a few spells that are useful against those that are immune to fire. Many high level creatures are. The higher level force spells should be a place for him to concentrate, because once you get to fighting outsiders, a lot of the energy types are ineffective.

The high AC of the opponents was hard for Arianna, but that is her trick as well, so what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Can't complain there. She has to work on bringing her "to hit" up, and can't take things like power attack that drops it down. She needs a bit more work in that department.

Once Arianna was grappled, I was kind of figuring it would take a nat 20 to make the concentration check to cast Dimension Door to get out. And since she was grappled, it was only a "move opponent" grapple CMB check to pull her down into the lava. So, she was scared. :lol: Anaerion's grease spell was the perfect thing to get her out. That, and I have read the Lava Rules.

Sorry about putting a desired items list on my character sheet, and then not wanting a couple of the items that came up. :eek: I know picking treasure to place is one of those things where one can hem and haw a bit before deciding. It wasn't until they came up that I realized I wouldn't use them. Arianna uses swift actions every round to get Arcane Strike on her natural weapons. So, the crown being a swift action to activate, would never be used. Oops! I make those lists when just perusing through the UE book grabbing what looks cool and cheap, but forget to trim them down to what is practical.

Arianna has a bit more cleanup to do this round of posts, then I will put in the plot hook for the Allbright game in the next round of posts. That give people a chance at their cleanup as well. Anaerion and "the girls" will be getting their invitation shortly in this thread so we don't have to get back all the way to the DWI. :) Getting back to Pari and getting paid is probably a good idea first before we blip out.
[/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
"Thank you Arianna. And yes, I believe it is. Now, let us head outside, and I can summon Pari here." Pulling out the rune Pari gave him at the tunnel entrance, Anaerion gives it a once over to remeber how it works before continuing. "Now then, for the gear that remains. The chainmail shirt provides basic protection, and inside the statue was this wand of flame blade, but unless you are trained in druidic magic I doubt you will be able to use it. The wand was contained in a bag that allows more gear to be placed into it, similar to the haversack I carry now. The ring on the mephit will provide some shield bonus for the wearer, but it will not protect you from magic like a protection ring would."

[sblock=Game]
Wow, I was nervous for no reason. I got scared when all those mephits were comming at us, but was even more surprised when they failed the saves. Buffing up like we did really helped alot. Haste is super powerful. If someone went unconscious however Anaerion was going to use that scroll of banishment. I want to copy it into my book, but as a level 7 wizard spell I am trying to save that till I get closer to level 7.

Now, Anaerion has access to slow. Persistent Slow anyone? Although Anaerion could really learn some more attack spells...

SK: Anaerion has a Blessed Book he needs to pick up at the pearl. And he needs to pick up some more reading material for Malkovian. I have been cycling books every adventure.

And spells. But, Relic knows some of the spells I would like, and some of the spells Mowgli put in that cool tube Anaerion would like (Slow/Banishment) to get.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka and Drevezh'korol, summoner and wood man

As long as the fly spell lasts Drevezh'korol will cart members of the group around so that they all have a chance to examine whichever portions of the lava cave that they wish to examine. He is ready to leave when the others decide that it is time, however; this steamy cavern was quite different than the cold hills of his otherworldly home. He nods in response to Arianna's question.

"I am ready to leave this steaming hell of a place."

Elenka snickers at Drevezh'korol but looks more than ready to leave, too. She idly brushes a bit of damp and drooping red hair from her face.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]
Thanks, Mowgli. I greatly enjoyed that. These last two battles were particularly enjoyable and I think you found a good mix for the opponents. I was at a bit of a loss of what to do with Elenka once she cast all of her spells; I'll have to consider how to counter that in the future.
[/sblock]

• • • Elenka Danyllova • • •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 8
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 66 Current: 54
CMB: +7 CMD: 19 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +8

In Hand: terbutje
Conditions:
Spells:
  • 1st level: 0/5 remaining.
  • 2nd level: 0/5 remaining.
  • 3rd level: 0/3 remaining.
Special:
Summon Monster 4 7/7
Bond Senses 8/8 rounds remaining
Maker's Call (Transposition) 0/1 remaining
Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +2 Perception: +9; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) See below
HP: 56 See below
CMB: +13 CMD: 25 Fort: +6 Ref: +4 Will: +5 (+9 vs. enchantment)

In Hand: slam (x2) +15 (2d6+8 +1d6 acid +1d6 fire)
Conditions:Extended Greater Magic Fang (+1/+1; 14/14 hours); Ablative Barrier (+2 AC, 22/40 pts., 8/8 hours), Shield (8/8 minutes), Evolution Surge (8/8 minutes), Unfetter (80/80 minutes)
Wearing: longarm bracers 1/3 remaining

Large Stats
Evolution Surge (Large): +8 STR, +4 CON, +2 Natural Armor, -2 DEX, -1 AC &
attack rolls, +1 CMB & CMD, -2 Fly, -4 Stealth, 10 ft. reach, STR evolution
costs double

Major Modifications:
STR: 30 +10 [32 +11 w/ belt]
DEX: 13 AC: 20, 10 touch, 19 flat-footed Current AC: 27, 11 T, 25 FF (Abl. Barrier +Shield +Haste)
CON: 17 HP: 68 Current HP: 25 [10 NL]

Attacks: Slam (x2) +17 (2d8+11); PA +15 (2d8+15) (+1/+0 haste, +1/+1 GMF)
15 ft. reach[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Eventually Ellamin becomes visible again, though he falls silent after the battle is over to keep watch over the proceedings should more trouble arise. "That was interesting. Not up there with the giants vs the dragon, but still an interesting adventure nonetheless. It should prove to be satisfactory for the more common folk at the very least, even if more refined and exotic tastes shall find it lacking." He doesn't seem at all upset about leaving the overly hot cave when they are ready to leave.

[sblock=ooc]That was a fun adventure. The lava pit definitely hindered Ellamin a lot as he has little that goes beyond short range. Also, Heinrich wasn't the only one affected by the focus on fire. Most of Ellamin's secondary tricks are fire based, so once he started inspiring courage, it was a bit of a challenge figuring out what to do with him. I probably need to have him learn summon monster or figure out some way to deal with longer ranges, but overall, he did quite well I think. I hope the inspire courage made up for the lack of other contributions in the last fight.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=pout]I was greatly frustrated, not only by the limited internet, the hospital visits and the computer hack, but by the challenge of not having a chance to prepare, and having the fire skills negated[/sblock]When every one is safely over, Heinrich puts the dagger away and raises his hand. "vee are done, ja?" when he gets affirmation he speaks the draconic words of power in his thickly accented speech. a ball of red glowing fire shoots from his hand and heads to the alter and explodes! "An abomination to purity of fire."10d6=34 he then summons a magma elemental and orders it to destroy any other remains of the statue. "harumpf. Vee are done here. Return to your home friend. We go now? ggot"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Loot in hand, you make your way from the lava room, down the gentle slopes and back through the rooms you fought your way through so laboriously. A growing rumbling sound follows you from the room, and as you get to the altar room - the first you encountered as you entered - Ellamin looks back and notes that there is dust obscuring the rooms behind and rock falling from the ceiling. The ground begins to shake . . .

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for the feedback, all, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game! No worries on the magic items, SK! I had to put something in, and your requests saved me the trouble of finding some of it on my own. It'll be good stuff for the Pearl, in any case. We probably need to build our higher value stock up there anyway as we've got some characters getting into the teens in levels now.

(Heinrich is responsible for the collapse of the cave system, DeWar, so he can stop sulking now - he's powerful too! :lol:)

We can hand-wave the report to Tal-Hallow, since SK has about half of the party for his game parked and waiting on those who're joining him from this game. If you'll kindly flee the collapsing caves and summon Pari we'll take care of the last little bit and call this one done! Let's shoot for tomorrow, day after at the latest unless folks aren't going to be around to post over the weekend.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heinrich exits the cave with the others. He turns to watch the evil shrine collapse. He turns back with a smile on his face. "oops."

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=Anaerion]Anaerion hears a familiar voice in his head. Startled for a moment, he then realizes it is something he has not tried before. A Sending.

{{I have work for you. Be at my front door at your soonest convenience. Bring the two charming ladies. See you in five minutes.}}

Anaerion ponders, then remembers the details about the spell. With only twenty five words to answer the telepathic beckoning, he chooses them carefully.

OOC: Plot hook.
[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Ellamin cheerfully breathes in the not burning air of the outdoors. He waits for the mage to activate the stone to contact his fellow gnome, mentally composing the adventure for public consumption in future performances.

jackslate45

First Post
Anaerion nods his head instinctively, saying to the air "Understood. Finishing our current mission now. Malkovian says hello. Be outside with company within five minutes." He waves his hand as though to dismiss something, then reaches into his pocket to dig out the stone Pari gave them. Before activating it he looks to Elenka and Arianna and says "My...mentor would like to speak with the two of you charming ladies as soon as our business with Pari is complete. I have a way to get there quickly and efficiency, and I will leave Heinrich the tools he needs to get back as well. Now then."

Holding the stone in his hand Anaerions says "Come forth, guardian of this land. Here the call of you friends and companions, and know that our mission is a success." Striding to the tree, Anaerion pushes the rock into the tree, hoping that he did the spell correctly.

Malkvoain says "Oh! was that Mother! Tell her I said hi! Oh wait you did that already. My bad."

Remove ads