• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Fury Steps In

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury gives a curt nod as if he expected as much. Knowing that the chance of another incident in Planks is high he decides that he should take care of a few of his wounds. And it might be a good bargaining chip with the bravo. Fury withdraws his wand of cure light wounds and activates it. Once finished with his healing he turns his attention fully on the bravo again and absent-mindedly taps the wand in his hand.

"That break looks pretty serious. You'll be weeks healing that naturally. I might help with that but since you've no coin to pay for it I'd expect information in exchange. What do you say?"

Fury waits, not really expecting a favorable response.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]I understand entirely and wasn't really expecting to get a favorable response/more information without pressing further. I was more setting up for his next line of inquiry more than anything else.

Diplomacy:
Move: --
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2
Initiative: +7 Perception: +8

AC: 20 (15 touch; 15 flat-footed)
HP: 40 Current: 19
CMB: +5 CMD: 20 Fort: +2 Ref: +11 Will: +4

In Hand:

Spells Remaining: 1st: 2/2[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
As Fury finishes with the wand and turns his attention to the bravo, he notes the young man's expression: a mixture of mild awe at the presence of a magical implement coupled with a yearning for exposure to its healing magics. It's clear that the man has no need for Fury to point out the wand's ability to circumvent weeks of agony, not to mention avoid a potentially life-long ailment. Still, the bravo eyes Fury a long moment before responding.

"Fine - you heal my leg, I'll tell you what I can. But it ain't much," snorts the bravo coldly. "You killed the one who got us the gig." The young man's expression grows serious for a moment. "And I ain't saying anything that would get me killed, you got it? I already lost my pay for this job, I don't need t'be losing anything more than that."

[sblock=OOC]Good to know. Given the restrictions of the medium, I tend towards trying to move things along as much as I can at a given point, which is why I said something.

Didn't want to move further than this in case Fury wanted to take any precautions against the man; he is, of course, still armed, not to mention he can run like hell when he's got two healthy legs.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury shakes his head letting a bit of steely resolve show with a grim set to his mouth and furrowed brow.

"No. You need my healing more than I need my curiosity satisfied. And I've seen you jackrabbit. I heal that leg and I'm off chasing you through the streets again. A man's luck only goes so far and I used up a good bit of mine tonight. You talk first. Explain what sort of gig puts a sack of platinum in your hands and what that old man has to do with it. Then I'll heal that injury."

Fury knows he's taking a risk leaving the bravo his weapons but it's a risk he's willing to take.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]
Standard: --[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 3 / Bard 2

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
The young bravo levels Fury with a long hard look before bursting out in a fit of laughter. "Well then, if I didn't know ye were from the Planks afore - and from the way you moved, I'd have been a fool not to think it - I certainly do now! Always hagglin', just like the rest of a us - guess that's what a life of fightin' fer scraps does to yer!" The young man indulges himself with a few more chuckles, perhaps to hide his nervousness, before continuing; from his relative eagerness to talk, Fury guesses he doesn't have a lot of experience with people wanting to hear what he has to say, be they friend or foe.

"Well, I s'pose it's obvious - we were hired to give ol' Milo a scare. Rough him up a bit, that's all. Y'see Milo's a member of the local council, and 'e's not very good at playing nice with the locals, if ya know what I mean. So it's no surprise that he'd gone and pissed off one too many...err..."entrepreneurs," if you will. So we were hired to help teach him a lesson. To get along with his neighbors, that is."

Fury watches the young bravo closely as he divulges this information readily enough. Though all of it seems to be truthful, Fury can tell that the man is holding something back. His instinct suggests that it might be related to why Milo seemed so desperate to have Fury catch the man in the first place.

The man shifts impatiently. "Now, 'ow bout me gettin' some o' that magic o' yers?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury laughs a little along with the bravo. "Truth there." He continues to watch the bravo as he relates his information. It fits together with what he was thinking but that one element doesn't sit right in his mind.

"That's a pretty little story. And I almost believe it. But ol' Milo seemed a bit too desperate to stop you. Fill in that piece of information and you've got your healing."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]

In Hand:

Qik

First Post
The young man's expression turns from simulated annoyance to genuine shock as Fury calls him out on his bluff. "Wha- look, mate..." he sputters briefly, before Fury's expression silences his attempt to talk his way out of this. He sighs, sullen, and takes a few moments to collect his thoughts.

When he begins speaking again, the young man sounds grave. "Alright, you win, Mr. Hero - I don't think I have much of a choice but to play along. You sing, I dance, right?"

"Just one thing," he says, deadly serious, "know that if you tell anyone that I willingly gave this o'er to you, you've as much as ran me through yerself, got it? I'm already gonna have to be layin' low fer a while, owin' to our failure ter get 'e job done - should word get out that I made that failure all the more ter make my own life easier, I'll be food fer the canal fishies sooner rather than later."

After punctuating the gravity of his words with a long, hard stare, the young bravo shifts to one hip and reaches into his pocket. Fury tenses to anticipate any foul play, but the young man waves him off, withdrawing a small, carefully wrapped packet and handing it over to Fury. "It's med'cine for Milo's woman, see. She's terribly sick, the old bird, and w'out this stuff, she wouldn't last more 'an a few days. We were told to take it. As part of our 'message.'"

The young man looks at him crossly. "Well, I've done e'rythin' short of throwing myself into the water for yer. Care to deliver, sah?"

Fury can tell that the young man has told him all he knows; it's likely that the identity of their employer, if it was ever known, died with elder bravo back in the square.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury listens grimly as the bravo relates the missing bit of information. It almost makes him sick to think of but he knew it wasn't going to be good.

"I know what I've forced you to do and I know what living here forces you to do. Word won't get around from me. Your leader is dead and the other one was out cold; he won't know what happened. I think you are safe."

He looks at the youth thoughtfully for moment before continuing: "You can do better than this life, you know." He takes one of the platinum coins from the sack and squeezes it between his fingers a moment. He glances down at it briefly and smiles at the mark of the Red Hand that his magics just placed on the coin. He tosses it to the bravo.

"You take that to Zitteaux at the Dunn Wright Inn in Gulls, tell him Fury sent you and he'll put you up until he can get you work out of town. He's my brother in the Red Hand so if you cross him I'll be after you. Got it?" He nods somewhat satisfied that he's done all he can do for the young bravo. "You've a chance to change things for the better for yourself; I suggest you take it. Now, healing."

Fury will invoke the magics of his wand of cure light wounds to heal the bravo's injuries. Afterwards he'll make sure the bravo makes his way off in a different direction than where they left Milo before heading off to rendezvous with the old man.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Fury will use as many charges as necessary to get the job done. Just let me know how many I need to mark off his sheet. Thx.

In Hand: wand

Qik

First Post
The young man catches the coin, his expression suggesting that he is having difficulty processing Fury's gesture. After a few dumb-founded moments, he manages to get out a surprisingly bashful, "Yeah, sure, thanks..." It's clear that Fury's generosity has made an actual impact on him, likely a rare experience in his life thus far, although whether its something that will remain significant for minutes or years remains to be seen.

A single touch of Fury's wand is all it takes to right the bravo's ankle. The young man stands, slowly, testing it gingerly, clearly unused to the miraculous reversal of health brought on by even the most rudimentary of healing magics. A few delicate steps convince him of the magic's effectiveness, however, although he does ask Fury "if this'll last." Fury assures him it will.

With that, the young man stands a moment longer in Fury's presence, suddenly uncertain of the implications of this chance meeting for his future. After a pause, the bravo nods an awkward parting gesture, before turning to leave. Fury watches him walk off - away from the square where they met, in the direction of Gulls - before stowing his wand and heading back to check in on the old man.

After a short (and graciously uneventful) walk in the now-darkened byways of the Ranocchio Planks, Fury returns to the small square to find the old man having already bound the still-unconscious victim of Fury's sap. The other bravo has been left lying where he last fell; both have been seemingly stripped of all their equipment with any real value. When Milo catches sight of Fury, he asks worriedly, "Did you catch him?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Fury limps into the small square where he left Milo. He's pleased to see the old man capable of moving about and astute enough to bind the youth, though he had planned on letting Cortessa decide the young bravo's fate. Well, it seemed she had. He smiles a thin-lipped, humorless smile and nods his head.

"Caught him, and let him go. Seems like you've got some enemies, friend. And before you get too distraught, I retrieved this for you."

He holds up the packet of medicine so that Milo can get a clear look at it.

"Vicious enemies, if they're willing to let your wife suffer without her medicine. You think we could maybe go someplace off the street so we can talk about this? I have the feeling you need more of my help and I'd kinda like to know what I've gotten myself involved in."

[sblock=Actions/OOC]

In Hand: wand

Qik

First Post
Milo's face floods with relief when Fury hold's up the medicine. Reaching out, he takes it from the former bravo hunter, and, after a brief inspection to confirm that its contents had maintained their fidelity, places it in his back pocket. He looks Fury in the eye, his strong gaze laden with gratitude.

"My thanks to you, friend...that concoction is not easily replaced, both in terms of time and of money. I thought for sure Abelia was...was..."
His voice breaks, clearly overcome with the implications of that line of thought. Milo shakes his head as if to clear away that possibility. "Fortunately, that is no longer something I need to worry about for the moment. But where are my manners..." Milo's expression changes to a warm one as he extends his hand; for an elder man, his handshake is surprisingly firm. "My name is Milo De Luca, and I am in your gratitude, stranger, doubly so, for both your intercession on my behalf as well as your persistence in reobtaining my property. It's a rare meeting in circumstance, but all the more so in Ranocchio." Milo waves his hand broadly in a gesture which seems to encompass the entirety of the planks.

Milo nods his head at Fury's suggestion to continue the conversation elsewhere. "That would be very welcome indeed, friend. But first," he jerks his head in the direction of the bound bravo, "let's drop our friend here off at the local constable's." Hoisting a now-full pack over his broad shoulders (which Fury later learns contains all the valuables the bravos had been carrying), Milo leads Fury and their prisoner off into the Ranocchian night.

After the brief stop off at the local White Cloak's post - where the two clearly-disinterested guards seemed more than anything to groan upon recognizing Milo, although their annoyance was greatly tempered, not to mention replaced by outright surprise, by his producing a prisoner - the pair make their way to Milo's home. On their way, Milo confirms much of what Fury had already learned from the young bravo: that he represents Ranocchio on Venza's council of the people, and that he has long been one of the area's most active voices in speaking out against the crime and poverty of their shared home. Fury finds the man to be confident and assertive without arrogance or idealism, and also surprisingly good-natured given the events of this afternoon. But then, one would likely need such an attitude in surplus to weather such a life.

The De Lucas' home stands out from its neighbors in the degree to which it has been well-maintained. Where many of the homes of the Planks have long since began to crumble from lack of tenats, lack of funds, or lack of effort, the De Lucas' have clearly worked to keep their modest home in as good condition as they can afford. The inside is a single large room, with the kitchen, sitting area, and bedroom all sharing a single physical space; the effect is cozy without being cramped. Abelia De Luca is perched upright in the bed; from the look of things, this seems to be commonplace.

Unshouldering the pack of items recovered from his would-be assailants onto the home's small table, Milo offers Fury a seat in the sitting area - demarcated by a worn-but-inviting rug and a pair of chairs positioned in front of a small, currently dormant fireplace - while busying about gathering two glasses and a bottle of wine from the cupboard. Seating himself across from Fury, Milo pours the wine for both of them and offers Fury his glass. Taking a generous drink from his own, he lowers his glass down and claps his free hand on his thigh, smiling widely. "Well, that was quite a way to start an evening, eh?"

Milo gestures to the pack with his glass. "That should come in handy: I have a friend down in Arcane Row who gives me a good deal on second-hand goods. You'll have your cut, of course," he is quick to add. From his demeanor, it's clear that part of it is nonnegotiable.

"Now, why don't you tell me a bit about yourself, friend? Do you always have such impeccable timing?" he adds with a wink.

[sblock=OOC]Fury's share of the gear totals 1049 gp, plus the 390 gp worth of coins he caught during the chase. If you'd like, I can give you a list of the specifics of the gear, but it's all pretty basic stuff.[/sblock]

Remove ads