[LPF] Rescue at Boar's Ridge

possum

First Post
"A nice hot meal and a priest..." Dolgrin complains slightly as he fumbles around in his pack for the silk rope. Finding it, he holds it up, hoping that the others will see. "I, err, need someone to lead me back to town..."

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, human ninja

At first, the shaking seems to do no good, as Ru's head simply lolls back, the new position resulting in an unsightly snoring. Eventually, however, the swarthy young man starts awake, nearly knocking Reianne over in his eagerness to get back to the fight.

He's only to his knees before he catches his bearings and notes the distinct lack of violent activity. Dropping backward, rump resting on his feet, he sighs.

"You have got to be kidding me," he says with an eyeroll. "You mean, I missed it?" There follows a muttered string of Rhat'matani curses, then Ru shakes off his frustration, reclaiming his dropped tools as the others search.

As Mesem prepares to move the blinded dwarf to kill the bugbear, Ru frowns.

"Wait a minute. That's Grimspiller?" he says, crossing his arms. "I thought he was a hobgoblin? Don't suppose he's got himself set up to perpetually reincarnate, do you?"

Then Ru shrugs, nodding to Mesem. "Only one way to find out, I guess. Bloodshot, looks like you're ready to do the honors?"

[sblock=ooc]Ru's fine with making for the hills, as well. And he's generally unlikely to object to executing defeated enemies unless there's something more beneficial to get from letting them live.

In terms of enjoyment, I definitely did. Heck, making "you get horses and leave town" into its own minor encounter gets it's own thumbs up from me.

I felt a bit like a drag on the flow when we got to some of the trap / lockpicking, but I think that's more the nature of traps in an adventure than anything else, and you still managed to build tension for others by providing the Perception sblocks. :)

Huzzah for first outings. :D[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
It takes a few moments for the party to decide on what they are going to do, but everyone comes to the conclusion of getting the kitty back to Cratchen as quickly as possible is the right action. There is some hesitation, before Mesem finally steps in and dispatches the necromancer. He uses a tried and true method that works on zombies and vampires alike, beheading.

The group searches around the bedroom, careful to not disturb the sands or candles of the summoning circle on the floor. Upon the table is a silver dagger and a couple acid damaged pages that look to be of the same language as the loose pages that were found in the spell book. Bits and pieces are missing, so it looks like Grimspiller was trying to cobble together the missing pieces of the ritual and wing it. If he failed, it was only going to be someone else's dead cat, so he had nothing to lose, you surmise.

When the serious looting begins, the necromancer's cloak glows under magical detection. It is another cloak of resistance (+1), but with darker embroidered motifs for its trimmings. You do not find a second spell book, so the one hidden in the green slime must have been his only book. It seems he spent most of his worldly fortune in amassing spells of pain and torture. On Grimspiller's body, you also find a delicate silver key.

Fiorella's cage is made of fine silver with the bars very close together and a high quality lock for its door. A heavy cold iron chain connects the top of the cage to the wall, so it cannot be carried off. But, one heavy stroke of Mesem's nadachi, just like Grimspiller's neck, severs the chain cleanly and allows transport of the kitty. Fiorella seems content in her cage, as you are not as gruesome looking as her former keeper.

The girls take care of dragging the bodies downstairs while Dolgrin hangs on to the door casing so as to have some stability that everything is not disappearing around him as he gets used to his affliction. When it gets too quiet, he grumbles and calls out to make sure that he has not been left behind. :cool:

Piling the bodies together down stairs and lighting the whole pile on fire, the age and sturdiness of this fort shows itself. The stone does not care that you set a fire. The destructive little goblins have not been able to harm this place significantly, and your bonfire shall not either. Gathering together the weapons and armor into bags, you have a heavy haul back to where the horses are, but the party is many and you manage.

Splashing water on your prisoner goblin, you wake him. Menik tells him he is going to live, but he has to go to the city and obey what the white cloaks tell him. Considering that he gets to live, he agrees to the terms. You gag him to keep him quiet while sneaking out, and still bound, march him and carry your loot out the front door quietly. Using Reianne's sunrod, you are able to make it to where you stashed the horses just outside the ridge rise.

After feeding and watering the horses, then bedding down for the night, Dolgrin declines to take a watch. Ru replaces him on first watch with Galandra. But, the night's activities were too tiring on both of them. A little while after they both doze off on watch, the goblin chews through his gag and bonds holding his hands with his sharp, pointy teeth. Knowing he would not win a big fight, the goblin flees, but not until after leaving a message. Reianne is shocked when she awakes to find the buttons of her blouse have been expertly bitten off. It is only open a bit, with her whip coiled in a figure eight, laying on her chest, inside her blouse. Half of the length of the whip is trailed out in a straight line along the ground, pointing due south.

Assuming Reianne doesn't take the invitation,
The rest of the trip back to town is uneventful. Returning straight to the Dunn Wright Inn, you find Cratchen, sulking in a bottle of whiskey. Meow. His head picks up, "You did it! Was everything taken care of?" as he winks. "Well, his head and body were on two different sides of the burn pile as we lit it ablaze. Does that qualify?" says Mesem. Unlocking the cage with the delicate silver key, Fiorella strides out of the cage proudly like nothing ever happened. Grog was already on his way over to the table. He sits down a bowl of milk for Fiorella. "Kidz did gud."

Cratchen is overjoyed and gladly pays you the money he promised. "Um guys, I can smell the ale, but cannot see it." You fetch Dolgrin two ales before taking him to a temple of Cortessa to have his sight restored. Then, stopping by the Mystic Pearl, you sell off the mundane weapons and equipment you managed to scavenge from the keep. Menik keeps you waiting for a while as he sits in a corner for a little bit, copying the rest of the spells he wanted before the spell book is also converted into gold coins. The last stop is The Grand Stable. Jaycus meets you at the west end as you enter. "Good, good. Glad to see you all made it back. I trust the problem was solved. Cratchen had already paid in advance, and you have returned within your week, so you are all set. Good day."

~finis~

Satin Knights

First Post
GM: The adventure totals out with 2,054 XP total and 2,193.85 GP total after expenses for each character.
The cost of the charges used on the healing wand that is returned to Cratchen, the 10 gp per horse/pony rental and the 150 to return Dolgrin's sight come out to an even 40 gp per character in expenses.

Treasure spoken for:
2,100 gp ~ Galandra ~ Efficient quiver and Composite longbow with +2 STR rating
1,000 gp ~ Mesem ~ Cloak of Resistance +1
1,000 gp ~ Menik ~ Pearl of Power +1 + copied spells (pending)
..,315 gp ~ Reianne ~ Masterwork longsword
......0 gp ~ Dolgrin ~ nothing
......0 gp ~ Ru ~ nothing
......0 gp ~ Lem ~ nothing

Treasure that is not spoken for:
1,000 gp Cloak of Resistance +1, worn by Grimspiller.
...200 gp Ornamental Silver cage, might be good for holding an Imp devil

The details for all the numbers are in the first post. I will PM the judge for this campaign, Mowgli to certify the numbers. Since the numbers were tweaked to match the excel sheet he uses, that should be quick.
[sblock=The spell book]I screwed up. A) Even though you captured a spell book, LPF has rules in place so that learning from a borrowed spell book costs exactly the same as if you had purchased a scroll and learned from it. This is due to the 100% sell back rule and trying to artificially maintain balance across the characters.

Just as finding a +1 longsword and keeping it costs 2,315 gp or buying it from the Mystic Pearl costs the same 2,315 gp, we do the same with spells, for those are the mage's weapons.

So, Menik gets to copy spells from the book, but it still costs 35 GP for a first level spell, or 190 GP for a second level spell. Using the book, Menik does not have to roll the 75% availability chance to acquire a scroll. He still needs to roll a Spellcraft check to learn the spell. Those rolls can be made by Menik in this thread.

Sorry to get you hopes up, but I can't let the book become a cheaper way to get spells. It can only be used to eliminate the failure chance of the Mystic Pearl not having the spell "today". (I should know, it has bit me three times on one of my characters.)

Since it has been 20 calendar days since you found the book, I am going to let you do all the rolls at once in this thread, (unless another judge overrides me.) That way the book is "converted to cash" and players don't have to wait for you to finish before they start spending their portions of the earnings.[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
ooc: So Menik can only check Spellcraft once before the book is sold, I take it, as it takes a week before trying again.

Rolling ... done.

Menik will copy into his spellbook

1st: corrosive touch, cause fear, ray of enfeeblement
2nd: false life, blindness/deafness, flaming sphere, resist energy, stone call

cost: 35 x 3 + 190 x 5 = 1055 gp.

With the pearl, that leaves 138.85 gp in cash.

He also tries to buy some scrolls ... assuming you accept the rolls, he buys charm person and magic missile scrolls and copies them into his spellbook as well for another 70 gp.

Not surprisingly, given his experience with the goblin, it took him a while to figure out how charm person works!

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yes, you only get one shot at this source for learning those spells. It looks like the pages for Shield and Chill Touch took a little acid damage from the slime as it was frozen to make them unusable. (if you need a story excuse.) So, the die rolls mostly went in your favor. You have the option of buying scrolls at the Mystic Pearl immediately for those two spells, then scribe one on Tuesday, the other Wednesday via normal methods and die rolls. So, you at least get to circumvent the week rule a bit. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads