[LPF] The Ringling Affair

Emily Halten

Twice what they agreed upon? It's bad to show uncertainty in front of the customers, so... "The best way to stay friends is to keep your promises. If you don't, it'll turn out badly for you sooner or later." She says that into the empty air, hoping that the innocent party--if there is one--won't resent it too much.
OOC: I think we need more from the thugs. Emily, at least, won't be comfortable jumping these guys until she's sure this isn't a legitimate contract dispute.

Satin Knights

First Post
Mystie moves forward and takes deliberate aim with the crossbow on the thug furthest from the dock. "Are you going to die for your greedy boss?"
[section] Updated Map
[sblock=actions]move: 15'
std: Ready to shoot thug furthest from dock is any of the thugs draw a weapon. [sblock=readied shot]Readied Shot with light crossbow (1d20+0=6)[/sblock]
free: talk. Threatening but not taking the full action for intimidate.[/sblock]
[sblock=Mystie Thissiledew's Mini-stats]Mystie Thissiledew
HP 13/13, AC 13, 10 Touch, 13 FF; Init -1, Darkvision 60', Move 15'
Fort: +4, Reflex -1, Will +2, CMB -4, CMD 5
Perception +0, Sense Motive +0, Spellcraft +5, Linguistics +2, Stealth +0

Dagger -2, d4-3
Lt Crossbow +0, d6, range 80' increment, 10 bolts
Thrown Dagger +0, d4-3, range 10' increment

.,,,.....,,,,,,..Orisons: Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Stabilize, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
.,,,,,,,,,Racial Spells: Dancing Lights (1/day), Flare (1/day), Produce Flame (1/day)
.,,.,,...Oracle 1st Lvl: 4/4 remaining; Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Protection from Evil
......,,.......Consumables: 1 Cure Light Wounds potion
....,,.........Consumables: 2/2 days trail rations
....................Channels: 5 of 5 left, 1d6, DC 15
.........Immediate Action: Misfortune, force immediate reroll, once per creature per day
..................................If bad guy rolls 18-20, reroll
..................................If friend rolls a 1, reroll
..................................If friend rolls 7 or less on a dangerous save, reroll
..................................This consumes the swift action
Effects:
In hand: light crossbow
[/sblock]
[/section]

RunGord

First Post

"I'll admit, b'ys, that I'm not much good at numbers. I kin add enough to known when I'm being stiffed and that sounds like what I'm hearin' now. But I hear your a man o' yer word. A man with a reputation for honesty, so I know it's likely just a li'l mistake. An adding problem, if you will. Surely, what ye mean to say is that you're more than happy to have been trusted wit de work an' dat your more'n happy to be paid exactly what's owed ye. No?"
As he speaks, Uff shuffles a bit, hands open, stretching his neck a little side to side. He continues, "'Cause as has already been pointed out by some o' my prettier friends here, this is only likely to go one o' two ways. Either you deliver as promised and be paid as promised or ye try the backstab and discover yer callin' down the thunder. Nobody wants that." He pauses to crack his knuckles, also tilting his head briefly to indicate Mystie and himself, "Well, almost nobody."

SAME MAP
[SBLOCK=ACTION]
Diplomacy check. Everybody be cool. (1d20+0=5)
Keeping a wary eye on those cheating rascals Perception check (1d20+5=8)
Ready an action to attack if approached with hostile intent. Using a full-round action to attack twice, Two weapon attack, unarmed. (1d20+3=9, 1d20+3=4)
And damage if applicable: Damage for same (1d3+4=5, 1d3+4=6)

Let's say the default for Uff's unarmed attacks with be lethal damage unless otherwise specified.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=STATS]Uff
Fighter 1
Initiative:+2 Perception:+6 Sense Motive:+0 Diplomacy/Bluff: +0 Intimidate: +0

AC: 17 (12 Touch, 15 Flat-footed)
HP: 13 Current HP: 13
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +0

In Hand: Both hands empty. Spring-loaded wrist sheathes hold 1 dagger each.
Ammo: 20
Conditions: n/a
Special:
Two-weapon fighting (reduced penalties for two attacks), Combat reflexes (2 extra AO per round), Improved Unarmed Strike (doesn't provoke AO and can be lethal or non by choice)

http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Uff_(RunGord)[/SBLOCK]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram, human staff magus

Qalabash smiles briefly as Uff mentions calling down the thunder then clears his throat and raises a brow as he looks over at the ruffians.

"Now, now, gentlemen. An agreement is an agreement. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bushes. By which I mean, Master Marley, you have a buyer right here, right now, who is willing to pay good gold for what you have brought. Of course, he won't be gouged or bullied by ruffians and that leaves you in the position of deciding whether you wish to take the price as originally agreed or whether it is worth the trouble to seek out and persuade another buyer to buy your goods. Simpler all round to conclude business in the here and now, is it not?"

He smiles but tightens his grip on his quarterstaff.

[size=+1]Same Map[/size]

[sblock=OOC]Diplomacy (1d20=9)<-- This was supposed to be an aid another Diplomacy but I neglected to note it in the note field. Whether it is an aid another or you use it as a regular diplomacy doesn't matter to me.
We've likely gotten 'em all riled up with our diplomacy rolls, anyway. Ha![/sblock]

. . . Qalabash Baram . . .

[sblock=Stats]Qalabash Baram Staff Magus 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: -1

AC: 14 (11 Touch, 13 Flat-footed) Current AC: 14
HP: 11 Current HP: 11
CMB: +3 / +5 Trip CMD: 14 / 16 vs. Trip Fort: +4 Ref: +3 Will: +1

In Hand: Quarterstaff
Spells Prepared:
  • 0-level: Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation
  • 1st level: Shield, Shield
Special:
Arcane Pool: 4/4 points remaining [Swift action: +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute][/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ 2:56pm: At a quay in the Gulls ~

Most of your arguments and attempts at half-hearted persuasion go unnoticed when the little woman points a loaded crossbow at Marley and his men. They all scramble to draw their own weapons rather than listen to you further.

A fight breaks out!

DrammMarley_zpsfbfb7ed3.png

Dramm Marley advances and draws a bola from his belt. He twirls it around and it catches Uff's legs and trips him up, felling the warrior on his face. Marley snarls, "You should not have started this. Now we take all your stuff as payment."

Warrior2_zps3641de05.png
Fernig_zps128ad405.png
Gaudral_zpsfae920b6.png

Marley's henchmen advance and draw their weapons as well, "Let's get them!" The first moves past Marley with a shortsword and stabs the prone Uff for a light wound.

The other two stick with their longbows and each shoot at Emily and Mystie, one arrow each. Their aim is decent enough to scratch Mystie with a grazing shot. The broad-headed arrow that hit's Emily got a bit more flesh in her arm than a scratch.

Merchant.jpg

Ringling Barton pulls back and shouts encouragement. "There you go, you got them right were you want them!"

OOC: Combat: Round 1
[sblock=Combat Information]Everyone is aware
Marley moves, drawing bola. Swift Action to put Ranger's Focus on Uff (+2Att/dmg); Uff hit and tripped.
Warrior 1 moves, drawing shortsword & hit Uff for 2 dmg
Warrior 2 moves, drawing longbow & hit Emily for 3 dmg
Warrior 3 moves, drawing longbow & hit Mystie for 1 dmg

Barton moves away and draws his rapier

Initiative:
Marley & his boys
You guys & Barton

Code:
Qalabash:   11/11 HP remaining;
Mystie:     13/13 HP remaining;
Emily:      09/09 HP remaining;
 ->Mother:  11/11 HP remaining;
Uff:        13/13 HP remaining; Prone
Barton:     ??/?? HP remaining;

Spells Cast:
Abilities Used:
Conditions in effect:
Enemy Stats:
Code:
Dram Marley (AC17/Touch 13/CMD17/16HP): 
Warrior 1   (AC14/Touch 12/CMD14/07HP): 
Warrior 2   (AC14/Touch 12/CMD14/07HP):
Warrior 3   (AC14/Touch 12/CMD14/07HP):

[/sblock] Updated Map
GM: You guys are up Round 1

Btw, I do not allow readied actions before Initiative is rolled for either side. You can use your rolls in Round 1 or roll again, your choice.

RunGord

First Post

Uff's teeth clench in anger at having been tripped up by this unusual weapon. He jumps back up to his feet. "Thunder," he snarls at the thug closest to him and swings away with his bunched fist.

SAME MAP

[SBLOCK=ACTION]
Free action to speak.
Move action to stand (provokes).
Attack Unarmed attack (1d20+5=11)
Damage Unarmed damage (1d3+4=6)

[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=STATS]Uff
Fighter 1
Initiative:+2 Perception:+6 Sense Motive:+0 Diplomacy/Bluff: +0 Intimidate: +0

AC: 17 (12 Touch, 15 Flat-footed)
HP: 13 Current HP: 13
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +0

In Hand: Both hands empty. Spring-loaded wrist sheathes hold 1 dagger each.
Ammo: 20
Special:
Two-weapon fighting (reduced penalties for two attacks), Combat reflexes (2 extra AO per round), Improved Unarmed Strike (doesn't provoke AO and can be lethal or non by choice)

http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Uff_(RunGord)[/SBLOCK]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Qalabash Baram, human staff magus

"Ah, so now we move on to dockside diplomacy. I should have expected it as we are standing near the wharf. What the...?"

Qalabash gapes as the bola takes Uff down to the ground. Recovering himself, Qalabash mutters words of power and sketches a symbol in the air with his left hand. A shield of protective force shimmers into being between him and Marley's ruffians. A moment more of thought and his quarterstaff gains temporary magics to enhance its combat effectiveness. Once finished invoking his enhancements Qalabash takes his staff in a two-handed grip and readies himself to leap into action.

[size=+1]Updated Map[/size]

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Standard: cast Shield
Swift: activate arcane pool for +1 enhancement to quarterstaff
Move: none
[/sblock]

. . . Qalabash Baram . . .

[sblock=Stats]Qalabash Baram Staff Magus 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: -1

AC: 14 (11 Touch, 13 Flat-footed) Current AC: 18 (Shield)
HP: 11 Current HP: 11
CMB: +3 / +5 Trip CMD: 14 / 16 vs. Trip Fort: +4 Ref: +3 Will: +1

In Hand: Quarterstaff
Conditions: +1 to staff (9/10 rounds); Shield (9/10 rounds)
Spells Prepared:
  • 0-level: Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation
  • 1st level: Shield, Shield
Special:
Arcane Pool: 3/4 points remaining [Swift action: +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute][/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Having made the threat, Mystie lets the crossbow bolt fly. The string twangs as it seems to bounce along its path instead of swooshing. She winces and wills it to straighten out its path, but it only half does so on its quick way past the target guy. Clearly having bought a defective contraption, she drops it and draws a dagger from her belt.
[section]Same Map
[sblock=actions]std: light crossbow shot (1d20+0=2)
Swift: Misfortune on herself for a reroll, Misfortune reroll (1d20+0=7) still misses wildly
free: drop crossbow
move: draw dagger (so she at least threatens)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Mystie Thissiledew's Mini-stats]Mystie Thissiledew
HP 13/13, AC 13, 10 Touch, 13 FF; Init -1, Darkvision 60', Move 15'
Fort: +4, Reflex -1, Will +2, CMB -4, CMD 5
Perception +0, Sense Motive +0, Spellcraft +5, Linguistics +2, Stealth +0

Dagger -2, d4-3
Lt Crossbow +0, d6, range 80' increment, 10 bolts
Thrown Dagger +0, d4-3, range 10' increment

.,,,.....,,,,,,..Orisons: Detect Magic, Create Water, Guidance, Stabilize, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
.,,,,,,,,,Racial Spells: Dancing Lights (1/day), Flare (1/day), Produce Flame (1/day)
.,,.,,...Oracle 1st Lvl: 4/4 remaining; Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Protection from Evil
......,,.......Consumables: 1 Cure Light Wounds potion
....,,.........Consumables: 2/2 days trail rations
....................Channels: 5 of 5 left, 1d6, DC 15
.........Immediate Action: Misfortune, force immediate reroll, once per creature per day
..................................If bad guy rolls 18-20, reroll
..................................If friend rolls a 1, reroll
..................................If friend rolls 7 or less on a dangerous save, reroll
..................................This consumes the swift action
Effects:
In hand: dagger, swift used
[/sblock]
[/section]

Emily Halten

"Eek!" Emily feels a bit bad about startling backwards, but it all happened so fast! One moment they were bartering, and maybe bantering a little, and then it was all bolas and arrows in the shoulder. Shouldn't have let my shield drop...

Still, she knew this would happen--even hoped for it, partway--and she follows the plan she made up with her father. The guy with the sword is focused on Uff, so an attack from behind...there! She brings her hands together, then tears them apart again with an inhuman cry. An answering screech sounds as a celestial eagle stoops through the empty air to tear into Uff's unfortunate attacker from behind.

Updated Map[sblock=Actions]5' step to behind Qalbash.

Super Summon Monster I: Celestial Eagle, into the square flanking Warrior 1. I couldn't figure out how to add an image to the image set, so I've pessimistically represented the Eagle with the 'dying' token.

The Eagle attacks, Talon/Talon/Beak:
Talon: 5 + 5 = 10, miss, no damage
Talon: 20 + 5 = 25, threat not confirmed, 3 damage
Beak: 14 + 5 = 19, hit, 4 damage[/sblock][sblock=Emily's Stat Block]
Code:
Initiative +2, Perception +1, Sense Motive -1, 

AC: 17 (12 touch, 15 flat-footed)
Fort: +1  Reflex: +2  Will: +1
 CMB: -2     CMD: +0

Hands (L/R): Wooden Shield/Empty

1st-level Spells: 3/3 (ASF 15%)
Summon Monster I: 7/8
        Daylight: 1/1

Emily's HP: 6/9
Mother's HP: 11/11 (available for summoning)
[/sblock][sblock=Eagle's Stat Block]
Code:
AC: 14 (13 touch, 12 flat-footed)
Fort: +3, Reflex: +4, Will: +2
CMB: -1  CMD: 11

HP: 5
Duration: 9 rounds
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads