• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lucas Confirms Star Wars spin-off TV series

ShrinkyLink

First Post
Ah, the Holiday Special. I remember watching that the night it was broadcast. And you know when people say it was horrible, too long, and actually very embarassing?

Well, they were right.

But I must be mindful of my thoughts. They will betray me. I think this could be very good, if Lucas steps back and throws some money at the writers from KOTOR and CLONE WARS. I'm of the generation who saw the films as they came out, and am now predetermined to rant. And rave. But I have hope for this.

Forgive me, my fellow late thirty EnWorlders....

Templetroll

Explorer
Okay, if the series is set up to show the time between the two trilogies then some of the Jedi survivors go into hiding, (Yoda, Obi-Wan) since they were both out of trouble for a while.

Obi-Wan was a well known recluse, someone Luke knew of as he grew up on Tatooine. That means he is not out there directly facing the Empire. Yoda seemed well settled on that swamp world. The attitude of the one Imperial officer about Vader's Jedi powers shows that the general Imperial fleet has not been facing opposition from Jedi knights. Vader has not been moved to kill subordinates before that time; at least, not by using the Force.

If any Jedi survive from the movies will have to die as the show progresses, probably early on, or also go into hiding. Vader made note of the Force being used in Ep IV and not having sensed it for a long time.

I could see some storyline around the protecting the two children as they grew up. Obi-Wan with Luke, someone else with Leia. This would have to be subtle though, since both places were not on the Sith's radar as possible trouble spots.

My snarky thought is Jedi Jar-Jar, which would give them a new set of action figures to work up. "Use-a the Force-a, .... OOPS!" :\

satori01

First Post
If we are going to throw old refrences around maybe it wont be Holiday Special craptacular, but Mupptet Show with Mark Hamil good,(actually wasnt that good, but I was excited to see Luke).

Do people really think it is going to look bad, given this era of TV production values. Star Wars the TV show is going to compete with Alias, Lost, BSG, Stargate Atlantis/SG1, Farscape, Mansquito, and cable TV shows like Deadwood.

If George learns anything by research, he should learn that tepid shows, no mater how beloved will not last, (cough Enterprise cough).

I have faith that with the money Lucasfilm has, and the financial backing he can get from any network that coreography on any fights that do happen will look better then most show on now, even if there is not wuxia goodness.

As to what the show is about, we know 1) a jedi is a charcter
2) I have heard from many people, and especially from one I trust that Vader will be a reccuring character. I cant say we see him fight, he may only be a hologram, but Vader will be a pressence on the show.

Ranger REG

Explorer
satori01 said:
If we are going to throw old refrences around maybe it wont be Holiday Special craptacular, but Mupptet Show with Mark Hamil good,(actually wasnt that good, but I was excited to see Luke).

Do people really think it is going to look bad, given this era of TV production values. Star Wars the TV show is going to compete with Alias, Lost, BSG, Stargate Atlantis/SG1, Farscape, Mansquito, and cable TV shows like Deadwood.

If George learns anything by research, he should learn that tepid shows, no mater how beloved will not last, (cough Enterprise cough).

I have faith that with the money Lucasfilm has, and the financial backing he can get from any network that coreography on any fights that do happen will look better then most show on now, even if there is not wuxia goodness.

As to what the show is about, we know 1) a jedi is a charcter
2) I have heard from many people, and especially from one I trust that Vader will be a reccuring character. I cant say we see him fight, he may only be a hologram, but Vader will be a pressence on the show.
Meh. I have a different attitude with Star Wars than I have with Star Trek. You know the saying, "Alway leave your audience wanting more."

Of course, George Lucas should try to back off and let a creative writing staff to make SW TV series more interesting.

ShrinkyLink

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Of course, George Lucas should try to back off and let a creative writing staff to make SW TV series more interesting.

There is definitely potential there. It all depends on whether or not Lucas decides that this should be aimed at children or at a general audience. When Lucas thinks of children, he seems to think of sugar addled innocents raised in some beauteous Midwestern town, so he dumbs everything down and fills it with sight gags.

Just wondering: is it any coincidence that Lucas' son is now a teenager, and now Star Wars begins to take on a more adult tone? I wonder how much of the last few films have been Lucas making them more for his children than anyone else.

Let's just hope his kids really dug the new Galactica...:p

Ranger REG

Explorer
smootrk said:
Maybe the guys making the extremely cool, New Battlestar Galactica series can get together and make the new Star Wars television series.
Hehehe. Well, ILM used to provide special effects for TNG and DS9, so it is only fitting that the Klingon Loremaster, former DS9 associate producer & writer, Ron D. Moore, would write for Star Wars. :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
ShrinkyLink said:
Just wondering: is it any coincidence that Lucas' son is now a teenager, and now Star Wars begins to take on a more adult tone? I wonder how much of the last few films have been Lucas making them more for his children than anyone else.
Not enough data to make an educated guess.

All I know is that if the story is all about Darth Vader, then you have to tell us about his downfall and why he chose to take the dark path. So, yeah, I want to know what heinous acts he committed that would bring him over.

Orius

Legend
I see the Lousy Lucas Bashers are out in full Force (heh heh) once again in this thread.

Please. This show has been rumored for a while. Putting it between episodes III and IV makes fairly good sense to me. There's about 18 years between those two movies, which gives them plenty of creative room to work with. Some people have mentioned the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles; I remember watching the show and I don't remember it as being terrible.

I never saw the Christmas Special (and I suppose that's a good thing), but I remember the Ewok movies, and I don't remember them as being bad. They were more or less geared towards children or a family audience, but otherwise, I doubt they could have been anywhere near as bad as the Christmas Special is said to be.

Last edited:

ShrinkyLink

First Post
Orius said:
I never saw the Christmas Special (and I suppose that's a good thing), but I remember the Ewok movies, and I don't remember them as weren't bad. They were more or less geared towards children or a family audience, but otherwise, I doubt they could have been anywhere near as bad as the Christmas Special is said to be.

They weren't. The Christmas Special gave a new definition to the word 'horrific'.

Remove ads