• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lvl 1 half-elf with average stats

Insomneac

First Post
I'm a novice player joining a group of novice players. The party has plenty of casters and rogues but is short on front line fighters. I rolled a half-elf with ability scores of 15 13 12 11 10 8. Paladin seems like the obvious choice, but I'm interested in a barbarian. Or I can keep it simple and choose fighter? Any suggestions are welcome.

ETA: 5th edition, MC available, no feats

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
What do you want to play?

Play that.

Seriously, that's the best advice I can offer - you'll have more fun if you play the class you feel drawn to than if you try to pick a character because it 'fits' or because some random people on the internet make a suggestion.

So, if you're interested in Barbarian, play that. If a Paladin is more your style, do that instead. But if you really want to play another Rogue, or Cleric, or Warlock, you should probably play that instead - the group will probably find a way to cope. :)

Insomneac

First Post
I meant I was intrigued by the concept of the half elf barbarian, but it seems so stat dependent. I definitely want to start as a martial character. I just don't have the experience to even know which I prefer.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Why is the barbarian stat dependent? You can walk around shirtless, tug women (men?) along by a leash, join a horde, eat bugs, and get to da choppa just fine, regardless of what your stats are.

Don't worry if no one else in the party is a martial character. There's no requirement to get into fights, unless your DM has tunnel vision. Then you have bigger problems than choosing a class.

delericho

Legend
The stats you have aren't too far off the standard array (though slightly worse), and that array is considered reasonably suitable for just about any class. So, again, I'd say just go for the one you prefer - if you're drawn to the barbarian, then go for it.

Also, it's perhaps worth asking your DM if he'll let you use the standard array instead - the worst he can say is "no", and if you don't ask...

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
I'm a novice player joining a group of novice players. The party has plenty of casters and rogues but is short on front line fighters. I rolled a half-elf with ability scores of 15 13 12 11 10 8. Paladin seems like the obvious choice, but I'm interested in a barbarian. Or I can keep it simple and choose fighter? Any suggestions are welcome.

ETA: MC available, no feats

If you play a barbarian with those stats, you should use the 13 to get a 14 dex and wear medium armor and a shield.

I would just play a dex-based fighter though, they can still be decent on the front line as long as you use a rapier, shield, duelist fighting style. Or go dual wielding scimitars with the twf style. That's fun too.

The game without feats is quite different in terms of balance. It means that dual wielding is actually a decent choice for a fighter. If you had feats you should definitely use a polearm with defense style and the various str feats. A dextrous fighter in medium armor means you can sneak around with the rogues and not wake up every goblin in the dungeon. With feats, strength is balanced with dex despite dex is normally the best stat to have in D&D. But without feats, dex comes back strong.

Barbarians are fun too though! But I think paladins in a game without feats are probably even more potent relative to the other classes.

Minsc

Explorer
The stats you have aren't too far off the standard array (though slightly worse), and that array is considered reasonably suitable for just about any class. So, again, I'd say just go for the one you prefer - if you're drawn to the barbarian, then go for it.

Also, it's perhaps worth asking your DM if he'll let you use the standard array instead - the worst he can say is "no", and if you don't ask...
I was going to suggest asking for the standard array as well.

Are you choosing half elf because that's what you want to play, or because of a perceived mechanical advantage?

Insomneac

First Post
I was going to suggest asking for the standard array as well.

Are you choosing half elf because that's what you want to play, or because of a perceived mechanical advantage?

I'm stuck with these scores for my first character. I wanted to play a "pretty" sword and shield warrior. Half elf gave me a story reason for the looks and bonuses that seemed to mesh with my scores. I'd be happy with an elf, but without feats human seems pointless.

Minsc

Explorer
I'm stuck with these scores for my first character. I wanted to play a "pretty" sword and shield warrior. Half elf gave me a story reason for the looks and bonuses that seemed to mesh with my scores. I'd be happy with an elf, but without feats human seems pointless.

I'm surprised your DM would not let you choose the standard array.

I think you can have a perfectly fine character with the rolls you got, I'm surprised because I'd think a new DM would try to tip the scales so that you'd have a more powerful character. Many first timers who get overshadowed by others could be turned off to the hobby, which would be a shame.

Insomneac

First Post
I'm surprised your DM would not let you choose the standard array.

I think you can have a perfectly fine character with the rolls you got, I'm surprised because I'd think a new DM would try to tip the scales so that you'd have a more powerful character. Many first timers who get overshadowed by others could be turned off to the hobby, which would be a shame.
The campaign is taking place at a local gaming shop. Most of the guys just want to have fun, so I should have fun with an underpowered character anyway. The first DM was an old school 3d6 guy, and he wants us to know the agony of a bad roll.

I've narrowed it down to a paladin or dex fighter, and I may choose a different race.

Remove ads