• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lvl 1 half-elf with average stats

Minsc

Explorer
As a powergamer, I'd make the "screw you, I don't need stats" build.

Hill dwarf cleric of nature. Just put your highest stat in WIS, your second highest in CON, and your lowest in STR and DEX.

cast Shillelagh in combat. You get to use your WIS to determine hit/damage.

Nature cleric gives you heavy armor. DEX no longer matters (much). Heavy armor needs STR? That's where the dwarf armor bonus comes in.

That doesn't exactly fit your concept though.

As I said, the stats are fine for any character. You can be effective, and you will have fun. Good luck!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Did the OP mention what edition of D&D he's playing? I may have missed it.

Half-Elf Bard(/anything if 2e) is pretty much my go-to choice, but I'm big on RP. If this is a 5e game, you literally can't go wrong with Bard. It's a lot of info to track, but oh boy, it's SO worth it. I think (?) Bards can at least short sword and shield, and the Valor bard gets pretty fighter-y if you make it to 3rd.

If you want to be more martial, yeah, Vengeance Paladin is swell and hit-stuffy.

Or Barbarian, if you like being hit. Because being a target is the barbarian's job. :)

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Did the OP mention what edition of D&D he's playing? I may have missed it.

Half-Elf Bard(/anything if 2e) is pretty much my go-to choice, but I'm big on RP. If this is a 5e game, you literally can't go wrong with Bard. It's a lot of info to track, but oh boy, it's SO worth it. I think (?) Bards can at least short sword and shield, and the Valor bard gets pretty fighter-y if you make it to 3rd.

If you want to be more martial, yeah, Vengeance Paladin is swell and hit-stuffy.

Or Barbarian, if you like being hit. Because being a target is the barbarian's job. :)
I'm guessing it's 5e, because he'd probably mention it otherwise.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I suggest a barbarian, since that's what you want to play.

Your stats are fine, and you'll be able to increase them as rhe game advances.

If you're worried about stats, be a half elf, mtn dwarf, or humzn. They have the best racial bonuses.

Remove ads