• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage: The Awakening PbP - Preludes

Shayuri

First Post
"Wow," Thessaly murmurs, lost once again in the wonder of this strange, fantastic new world she'd been introduced to. Reverently, she undoes the ties and opens the small bag, looking inside, then upending it over her cupped palm.

Tokiwong

First Post
Shayuri said:
"Wow," Thessaly murmurs, lost once again in the wonder of this strange, fantastic new world she'd been introduced to. Reverently, she undoes the ties and opens the small bag, looking inside, then upending it over her cupped palm.
Two small gray spheres roll out; they are deathly cold to her touch. They clack together gently in her hands. They are about the size of large marbles but they are not perfectly spherical, and more akin to well eyeballs in size and shape. The artifact makes her shiver involuntary…

Shayuri

First Post
Thessaly frowns, and quickly replaces the...eyes?...back into the pouch. Something told her that messing with powerful artifacts one knew nothing about was probably not a good way to see the next sunrise. She replaces it under the floorboard, replaces the board itself, and hurries out to see Daniel.

"Daniel, I...oh wait..." she looks around. "Is she...?"

Lichtenhart

First Post
Daniel watches her go out and then he look at the piece of paper with her name.

"Cymbeline. Oh, you'll hear from us again, and soon."

He puts it away in his moleskine, then thinks about it for a moment.

She was here, and was talking with Thessaly, when she received that odd phone call. This definitely looks like something the Guardians of the Veil would do, at least according to what Martin and Winnie told me about them. I don't like it one bit.
First, because it means they're spying on us, someway.
Second, because they think they can scare us into letting down an important part of Winnie's legacy. She always listened to people, and helped them find the book that helped them on their way, especially the ones that had a chance of awakening. Look what she did for me. I know very little about Fate, but I think it's not a coincidence Cymbeline was here today, and saw Winnie. Sure, it helped us find what was hidden but I think there's something more.
I may not have been much different from Cymbeline when I got here, and Winnie gave me a home, helped me write, and helped me find my true call. Cymbeline deserves the same. No matter what those creeps think, whoever they are. Tonight I'll ask Starbuck about the Order of the Wyvern, and see if they already did things like this in the past. In the meanwhile...

Daniel begins to search the library for any scrying windows or other oddities of sort, then goes at the shop window, pretending to be dusting, and looks outside to see if there's anyone looking in.

That's when Thessaly comes back in.

"She is gone, she had to go to a lesson. But she left me her number. She said that she has no friend around here, and you made a good impression, so she would like to take a coffee sometimes or something. She made a good impression too. She has more than potential, she looks just on the brink of enlightenment. I wonder if we can help her. What kind of books was she looking for?"

Tokiwong

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
Daniel begins to search the library for any scrying windows or other oddities of sort, then goes at the shop window, pretending to be dusting, and looks outside to see if there's anyone looking in.

Daniel gets a good look around and does not spy any scrying windows with his mage sight, the world awash with a subtle resonance of life and the bustle and flow of daily life in this town. Outside he sees some students taking a break at the coffee shop across the street, they look to be enjoying the Saturday late morning.

Mr. Williams a teacher at the local high school jogs by, just like clockwork; it must be getting close to ten in the morning. He waves at Daniel and then continues on his way. He wore a designer jogging suit and was listening to his iPod, from the ubiquitous white buds in his ears.

Across the street he spots a young man wearing a black windbreaker and jeans. The youth has dark brown hair and olive toned skin. He looks at the store for a moment then turns and walks back down the main street. Was he looking into the store?

Officer Brady parks his patrol car in front of the coffee shop and walks in, again just like clockwork. The little town of James Cove had its idiosyncrasies, but for the most part things really did not change much besides some stores being seasonal, and the influx of students in the fall and the mass exodus as summer approaches.

Shayuri

First Post
"She, uh...she said she'd had a dream where she was a queen," Thessaly answers. "She was looking for books about ancient civilizations, but she wasn't sure which one. I asked her to describe the dream, what she was wearing, where she was... All she could remember was that she was wearing purple, so I was thinking maybe Rome...but there was never a Roman Empress, so..."

Thessaly shrugs. "Truth is, she didn't seem to remember much. I had her just looking at books and seeing if anything jumped out at her. That's how she found the store. The website just kinda bit her."

She looks at the store window, then back at Daniel. "She's close, isn't she? I mean...her intuitions are sharp, and she saw grannie. She has to be close."

Lichtenhart

First Post
"It looks like we have quite a day ahead of us. The poem, the hidden stuff back there, the inventory too, and if we have enough time, Cymbeline's dreams as well. Well it would be interesting, dreams are my field, and maybe it could really help her on their way. We'll see.
Oh, I almost forgot. Starbuck called, and asked me if I could join them at the observatory tonight, it looks like one of the guys made some kind of mess. Actually, she told me to bring reinforcements too, would you like to come?"

He gets out the poem and reads it again.

How curious. It speaks of a queen too.

"Would you like to help me with the research? You're sure better at using the net than me."

Shayuri

First Post
Thessaly brightens. "Yeah, I can do that! And I'd love to see the observatory. But listen, about the hidden thing? I took it out. Or...them. I took them out. Just to get a look. They're amazing. These little things..." she cups a palm and motions at it to indicate that whatever it was had been in there. "Cold and grey and...they made me shiver a little. I didn't try to do anything with them though."

Tokiwong

First Post
All this talk of Granny gives Thessaly a flash of memory from the funeral.

Flashback

Thessaly is the last to leave the service. The pastor places a hand on Thessaly’s shoulder and offers her words of encouragement at the passing. He is gentle and soothing and then even he too leaves, leaving her as the last person to watch over Granny’s memorial.

She does not even notice the rain. But she does notice when it stops raining. She looks over her to her right and sees a man standing there, unassuming and in his mid thirties. He is black, his hair worn short in a fade. His clothes are dark and conservative. He holds an umbrella in his hand, shielding Thessaly from the chilling rain.

“Her passing has affected the best of us. She leaves a hole that few can fill,” he says in a deep soothing voice. He does not smile, but she gets the feeling that he is grieving as well. He continues speaking, “It is a strange fate that when we die the world continues on as if nothing has happened the only monuments to our lives are those that love us and linger behind in this fallen world.”

“Your Grandmother was something of a legend,” he turns to Thessaly, “although we had our differences I always held her with great esteem and respect. She had a unique approach to understanding the Mysteries. This time of your life is one of great change, and you have my condolences. She lived the latter part of her life helping others along so that they could see, a tactic I do no always agree with, but one she excelled at quite well. Like I said before she was a legend,” the man replies coolly.

The rain begins to dissipate. The man glances up, “This world is full of mystery Allison. I cannot say what your future holds but I do know that although it may seem that this world is asleep, perhaps even apathetic to the loss of your grandmother, we see the world for what it really is. It is uncaring, it is stifling, and a prison; in a way you can say that your grandmother escaped, perhaps even ascended to a higher realm of understanding. I would like to believe that she is watching over you even now.”

He closes the umbrella. Thessaly smells the fresh rain air and turns to see the man already walking away. He waves as he leaves towards a modest dark sedan. He opens the door and turns to Thessaly, “Have a good day, and you have my condolences for your loss; you will see her again I am sure.”

End Flashback

It finally hits Thessaly now, she does not even know who this man is, or even more disturbing how he knew her name.

I hope you don’t mind me adding some details to the funeral for Thessaly…

Lichtenhart

First Post
"You got them out? Show me, please!"

He goes at the door of the shop, locks it, puts on the "Back in 5 min." sign, and returns with her to the sanctum. As she shows him the eyes, he whistles.

"They're... peculiar. Not that I have a lot of experience, but I've never seen anything like this. Let's see what they tell us about themselves. It may take a while though. I'm going to take a closer look at them, at the threads that have been weaved to make them. It's similar to look at their supernal pattern, with the vision that I extended on you before, but with a microscope. That's why it takes some time. You'll have to mind the shop on your own while I'm busy here." he explains to her.

He closes his eyes, and concentrates. He creates in his mind the image of magnifying lens, framed in pure gold. He uses it on the cold patterns of the eyes, and doing so his whole world becomes as cold as them. He now sees the threads of magic as pillars all around him, covered in mystical inscriptions. He opens his eyes, clutching his medallion, and wills the image into being.

That would be Analyze Enchanted Item, Covert, 4 dice. If I succeed, I get to roll 5 dice every ten minutes.

Last edited:

Remove ads