• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic 1879 Style

The_Universe

First Post
I've already sent out a gmail with an un-edited take on how I'd like magic (which may not be the only kind of high strangeness to crop up in the campaign - but only time will tell). However, it is missing one crucial piece of information: the magical adept talent tree.

For those of you with access to the Grim Tales book, it's on page 78 and 79. For those of you not lucky enough to possess the book in either it's full or electronic versions (it's well worth the investment), I'll reproduce it here for our personal uses.

MAGICAL ADEPT TALENT TREE
This talent tree is available to smart, dedicated, and charismatic heroes by GM's permission only.
Magical Adept
[Smart, Charismatic, Dedicated]
Prerequisites: Intelligence, Charisma, or Wisdom score of 10 or higher. Total character level of 3 (or above).

The hero gains knowledge of a magical tradition and can henceforth cast any spells he or she knows. Arcane adepts use their intelligence to cast arcane spells; divine adepts use their wisdom to cast divine spells, and wild adepts can cast both arcane and divine spells on the force of their charisma, alone.

The hero gains a caster level of 1 and spell burn resistance equal to his or her relevant ability score modifier. Furthermore, Spellcraft becomes a permanent class skill. For more information, see Spells and Magic.

Improved Caster Level
Prerequisites: Magical Adept Talent

The hero gains additional spellcasting ability in a single chosen magical tradition (arcane, divine, wild). You may choose this talent multiple times. Each time you choose this talent, your caster level in the chosen magical tradition improves by +1, and you gain an additional +1 bonus to your spell burn resistance.

Master Eldritch Flow
Prerequisites: Magical Adept Talent

The hero is better able to manipulate the capricious flows of magical energy. The hero may now choose to change the spell burn die when casting a spell, either increasing or decreasing the spell burn die by one step from the standard spell burn die used in the campaign. For example, if the spell burn die is the standard d6, this talent allows the magical adept to lower it to d4 or increase it to d8.

The procedure for determining spell burn proceeds as normal, but for each drain die that rolls a maximum result, the adept may increase either the caster level or the DC of the spell by +1. For more information, see Spells and Magic.

cuteasaurus

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:

Oh no! My cover has been blown! Wait...it would have made more sense for me not to post at all if I had wanted to remain in the shadows...didn't think this one through...

cuteasaurus said:
Oh no! My cover has been blown! Wait...it would have made more sense for me not to post at all if I had wanted to remain in the shadows...didn't think this one through...
Ha ha! My plot to reveal your secret identity has been a success! ;)

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
You could have claimed to be some *other* Cuteasaurus....you know, wave your hand and intone, "This is not the Cuteasaurus you're looking for."

Remove ads