• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic system brainstorming

We have this idea that magic is fueled by the soul. Gods have their power because of the amount of souls they have accumulated.

A spellcaster use his own soul to cast low level spells (in D&D terms, you could limit their spell level to say 1 or 2).

I'm looking for ideas on how spellcasters could find ways to tap other energies to cast higher powered spell. The 3 ideas that I have are pacts with power entities (not necessarily demons), servitude to a god and necromancy (stealing the souls of others).

In such a system, can anyone think of any other way to fuel high powered spell?

Thanks!

Note: This is actually for a larp that friends and I are mulling.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) I'd probsbly use one of the "fatigue magic" variants as a basis for this. After all, if using your soul to power spells isn't going to have some kind of negative effect on your health, what is?

2) necromantic rituals would be me way to fuel spells and items. See how magic works in Harry Turtledove's Darkness novels.

3) cooperative rituals could also help fuel more powerful magics.

4) certain attack spells could gain the caster a bit of the target's soul energy to power spells.

5) use a variant of DarkSun's defiler magic to power spells as well.

Remove ads