• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maiden of Pain - Thoughts?

evildmguy

Explorer
I really didn't want to say anything bad but the book just . . . wasn't up to their normal standards, especially recently. It really felt like his first book and for a short story in Dragon, that's great. I do think they went too far for a novel.

However, if all he had to write was the first four or five chapters, well, it could like a different book at that point. I know that I had expectations and ideas that kept changing as I read the book.

I do feel bad for him as he obviously really wants to do this. I hope he can make it. However, I won't be supporting him.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Sarigar

First Post
Started bad, real bad. After about half-way through the book it improved. The author found his voice, however it was too late. As has been said, it doesn't live up to the quality of some of the more recent works by FR authors. :(

Berandor

lunatic
It felt like a new writer's book, which it is, and pulls the overall series down more than help it
Huh? Did you read "Lady of Poison"? I don't think the series could be pulled down more after starting with that one. Ugh.

That was my last try for a D&D book.

IronWolf

blank
I've been half following Kameron's blog for the past several months. I was hoping for him it would turn out to be a good book. I will probably still pick it up and give it a read myself. First published work is bound to have a few hurdles I am sure.

Wycen said:
Just one question, does the little girl ever get punished?

Yes.

and No.

Her cry of 'My nanny's a witch!' ends of getting her whole family imprisoned as 'witches'. Basically, she responsibel for the destruction of her entire family.

She then ends up going back with the main character to becmome a initiate to Lovitar.

Which was Lovitar's plan from the begining. Which is actually kind of cool.

While I vehnemontly disliked various parts of this novel (enough to make me not reccommend it), parts of it were OK.

I think this novel could have really benefitted from a strong editor & the time to do a re-write.

Remove ads