• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Male gamers: Weal or woe?

fuzzlewump

First Post
Having played d&d almost exclusively with an all female group, the concept of a male gamer is somewhat foreign to me. In the dozen or so sessions I've played with male players, I've found that male gamers, by virtue of their gender alone, change the gameplay experience dramatically.

Most of the time it's a headache.

Hear me out now, I've got nothing against male players. The problem arises mostly with the female players whenever there's a male present. They almost always act differently. Some girls will hold back from being their normal selves and restrain themselves from cracking potentially offensive jokes where they otherwise wouldn't hesitate. Some girls will go out of their way to try to impress the male, in game or otherwise. I've wanted to pull out my hair during sessions where girls spent the entire 3 hours chatting up the guy, distracting him and everyone else from the session and holding it up.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? How do you deal with it? I want to include a few male friends into my gaming sessions but I don't want the atmosphere of the group to change.

korjik

First Post
Somehow, I doubt that your problem is common. :)

To be honest, I really dont have any good advice for you. No basis of reference on my part. I wouldnt put up with someone being a drag on the game tho.

tallyrand

First Post
What you really need to watch for, is if the male "gamer" actually wants to be there, and wasn't simply dragged there by his girlfriend, or even worse, he forced her to bring him so they could "spend more time together."

I'm not saying that guys can't/shouldn't game, but in my experience this is usually the case. Give it a few sessions, and eventually he'll get bored and/or realize that this girlfriend gaming one night a week isn't a threat to their relationship.

Remove ads