• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Man, I freakin' love these new Dungeon Tiles

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Felon said:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but even when I'm low on cash, I still place a premium on my finite time on this mortal coil. I don't grasp how someone can be so frugal as to reject the concept of putting a dollar value on convenience, and think saving a few bucks is worth a not-insignificant amount of time consumed printing, cutting, and assembling pieces on your own (and repeating the process when you squish one in your book bag).

I might be able to get a better page-to-dollar ratio from a PDF vendor, but....these are more than enough, and they're plenty cheap, and they can be used off-the-rack. That all works for me, folks.

Well put D00d, because everything that you laid out was exactly my point as well.

They are actually laminated press board (multiple paper sheets pressed together) - they could probably stop a bullet. But if I'm defending my life with my roleplaying aids, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong. :lol:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Thunderfoot said:
They are actually laminated press board (multiple paper sheets pressed together) - they could probably stop a bullet. But if I'm defending my life with my roleplaying aids, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong. :lol:

To say the least, but if you do have to use a RPG product to stop a bullet I think HERO 5th or Ptolus might be for you!!!

Mercule

Adventurer
Viking Kitten said:
Even on ebay it costs something like $20.

Not that I really want to step into the whole argument, here (I don't have a preferrence between PDF or OTC tiles), but statements like this always drive home the different perspectives people have.

I bought a new printer (HP) in March. One of the selling points was that cartridges (color or B&W) were $20. I thought, "Woo hoo! Print-outs are basically free." Even printing out every little thing that trips my trigger, I'm still pretty sanguine about that price tag.

Mercule

Adventurer
On the tiles, I'm picturing something like the DDM tiles, but bigger. I just can't picture using those for a game. Dunno why, but the idea just doesn't appeal -- I'd rather use my Tact-Tiles.

Do I have the wrong image? What am I missing?

Mercule said:
On the tiles, I'm picturing something like the DDM tiles, but bigger. I just can't picture using those for a game. Dunno why, but the idea just doesn't appeal -- I'd rather use my Tact-Tiles.

Do I have the wrong image? What am I missing?
Yes, you do -
They are thicker (see the press board reference above - similar to many of the Ravensburger (Great German game company) pieces they use in thier board games.
They are also of multiple sizes from 1" 'counter' squares for things like chests and trapdoors to larger - room sized pieces and many different things in between.

They are well produced, and sturdily made (as you can tell above, never one of my things I hold against them) - however, they are square or rectangle (ALL of them), there is no way to alter the pieces without destroying their integrity, and there aren't a whole lot of them (6 pages (standard 8 1/2 x 11) double-sided). They have a place, and I can see using them if your crawls are relatively all at 90 degree angles - throw in a 45 degree angle or a curve and these immediately show their flaws. I can't fault them, I just can't use them.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thunderfoot said:
They are well produced, and sturdily made (as you can tell above, never one of my things I hold against them) - however, they are square or rectangle (ALL of them), there is no way to alter the pieces without destroying their integrity, and there aren't a whole lot of them (6 pages (standard 8 1/2 x 11) double-sided). They have a place, and I can see using them if your crawls are relatively all at 90 degree angles - throw in a 45 degree angle or a curve and these immediately show their flaws. I can't fault them, I just can't use them.

Note that this is the first of several sets.

Set 2: Arcane Corridors - November 2006
Set 3: Hidden Crypts - February 2007

Cheers!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, there are so very many better options out there, both free and published as PDFs that I really cannot understand buying these at this cost. I can get a lot more pages out of my printer for $9, and if I want it on cardboard there is always glue (I often go with foamcore board myself... even adding that in the PDFs are still cheaper.)

Fiery Dragon, World Works, and a whole bunch of stuff out there for Warhamer Quest which is still available free....

The Auld Grump, perhaps a thread on that might be appropriate....

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Thanee said:
Rackham also has some really fantastic-looking gaming tiles for their new tactical RPG Cadwallon. Anyone have seen both and can compare them?

Well, The wife and I each rolled a few times at the WotC Castle at GenCon and got a few Dungeon Tile sets, and at the Rakham booth I totally fell in love with the four $26 sets they had, and I plunked down a hundred for that whole set.

The WotC Dungoen Tiles are amazing. Huge, sturdy (you can hit folks with 'em) and laminated in some special coat that keeps minis from sliding off, prevents the tiles from sliding across the game table unwanted and they don't throw in so much detail that you can't make every room your own. An awesome, customizable value.

As for the Cadwallon tiles, they are godlike in appearance. I mean, real full color artwork. Many of the tiles are day/night combos, which is actually very cool seeing with a handful of minis on. They range from city rooftop chases, downtown building clusters, building interiors, caves and caverns, sewers, outdoor scenes, the whole shebang. They are loaded with details, however. Each room will have candles, checkboards, flagons, dartboards, books, weapons and about 40 other things for the detailed player to drool over (and my player's drooled, I have a whole cup of the stuff). So the rooms are pretty specific as to their purpose, but dang they're purdy. They fit together to create whole downtown sections. I love 'em.

-DM Jeff

Pants

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Hmmm, there are so very many better options out there, both free and published as PDFs that I really cannot understand buying these at this cost.
Um, less work maybe?

Remove ads