• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Man, I freakin' love these new Dungeon Tiles

DM_Jeff said:
VERY. We have a player named 'Scott' who has spilled a minimum of one beverage at every game he's attended since 1984. When someone spills anything, it's "pulling a Scott".

My wife already dubbed these new WotC tiles "Scott-proof", so that's good. :)

-DM Jeff
So do you keep a supply of "Scott" towels on hand? - Sorry I couldn't help myself. I'll go sit in the corner now.

Old One

First Post
mearls said:
As Merric mentioned, there are already two other sets of tiles in the pipeline. We hope that this turns into a sort of product that DMs like to spend $10 or $20 on every three or four months.

As for PDF products, they're good for kitbashing and for the breadth of options they offer. Really, I think the PDF stuff out there, like Worldworks' sets, and the Dungeon Tiles work very well together. There's no reason you can't use both!

Mike,

Any chance of a ship set? You know...the standard longship, merchant ship, galley, trireme, rowbot, raft set?

TIA,

~ OO

Pants

First Post
Felon said:
Pretty nice. Nine bucks won't get you anything bigger than a medium in any part of the U.S. I live in (if that).
Frozen or delivered?

I can get frozen pizzas pretty cheap, doctor them up, then throw them into the oven or I can get them delivered. It's all about what you're willing to work with.

I just don't get the 'how can you buy X when there are plenty of better products out there' when, in fact, 'better' translates to 'different.' I mean, why would anyone want to get delivery/restaurant pizza when you can just buy frozen, add some fresh toppings, extra cheese, and some spices?

Treebore

First Post
Felon said:
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but even when I'm low on cash, I still place a premium on my finite time on this mortal coil. I don't grasp how someone can be so frugal as to reject the concept of putting a dollar value on convenience, and think saving a few bucks is worth a not-insignificant amount of time consumed printing, cutting, and assembling pieces on your own (and repeating the process when you squish one in your book bag).

I might be able to get a better page-to-dollar ratio from a PDF vendor, but....these are more than enough, and they're plenty cheap, and they can be used off-the-rack. That all works for me, folks.

I used to think like you, then I thought how much of my workday was used to pay for those items. Then for some reason spending personal time customizing and printing stuff out on cardstock and then quickly cutting them out was worth it to me.

Oh, and I have Fat Dragon Games pdf's. I get great use out of them. Hopefully they will expand their stuff useable with Traveller/Future type games soon.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Pants said:
I was referring more to the 'printing, cutting, then glueing it to cardboard' angle myself.
Wow, add another fifteen minutes, twenty at the outside, to the total... color me impressed... :p

Tonight I printed twelve pages, time spent printing - less than five minutes - and I can do something else so I don't really count this, I cut the pages with a straight edge and hobby knife, another five (less if I use the rotary cutter - but the knife was handy), I sprayed the cardstock with glue (taking maybe a minute to do all twelve) , I glued them to foamcore ($1 a sheet, about 2' x 3') about another three minutes (more if I were trying to line things up neatly), cut foamcore using knife and straight edge another five....

Each foamcore tile is 7 inches by 14 inches.

Now, mind you, I intend to spend a good deal more time, since these are actually the bases for some three dimensional terrain - this will take up a significant amount of time, but that is because I like building terrain... but laying out the base tiles is not a significant amount undertaking, compared with going to the store, getting the tiles, and running back home again.

If I were just printing tiles then I may or may not bother gluing to foamcore, since I can also print to cardstock - while the resulting boards would be less sturdy they are also cheap enough that if they wear out I can replace them.

Plus I have greater variety, even sticking to stuff found free online. (Warhammer Quest in particular still has a lot of stuff available for free downloads.)

I think Felon overestimates the value of his time...

The Auld Grump, who took almost as much time explaining the process as it takes to do the process....

Felon

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Now, mind you, I intend to spend a good deal more time, since these are actually the bases for some three dimensional terrain - this will take up a significant amount of time, but that is because I like building terrain...

And that's really the bottom line: you like how you're spending that time. As Mark Twain demonstrated with whitewashing a fence, the distinction between chore and recreation is all a matter of the attitude one approaches it with. Of course, you have figured out how to streamline the process and don't even think it's worth factoring in all the tools you have on hand (rotary cutter, foamcore, glue sprayer), while you do factor in the time it would take to make a trip to the store to buy the tiles. For most folks, getting the tiles is less hassle than stocking tools and supplies. I also suspect getting a steady enough hand to slice out blocks of terrain as quickly as you do while achieving acceptable results takes time and practice.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
MerricB said:
G'day, all!

One of the posters on the Wizards boards has posted a few pictures of how he's used the new Dungeon Tiles. I've archived the links here:
http://www.blackguard.ca/merric/2006/08/dungeon-tiles-in-use.php

Damned impressive. Note how he puts to good use all the little 1" x 1" tiles that would be a headache to cut out individually.

Three sets huh? Darn, two more won't cost enough to qualify for Amazon's Super Saver Shipping. I'll have to find something else to buy...

Remove ads