Marvel Avengers, 1889 [Full]

Karl Green

First Post
ethandrew said:
A game like this makes me wish I knew the M&M game system. It sounds like a blast!

hero4hire said:
its pretty easy...D20 with Superpowers and Damage Saves instead of HP and you got 90% of it.

Indeed it is... if you have a character idea in mind I am sure someone would stat it out for you and then we can explain most of the 'rules'

As H4H said, the big difference is Hit Points and Damage; Damage is no longer rolled, instead you have a fixed bonus to damage (say +3, which is the average for a pistol), and the target of your attack rolls a Damage Save (called Toughness) to avoid some or all of the damages affects.

There are lots of other things of course but... :D

Elric

First Post
Karl Green- I don't think I'll end up wanting to play in this pbp (one pbp is enough for me), but this game looks like tons of fun. Also, your Captain Britania idea is great- I really liked Henry Rider Haggard's books and I like Captain America type characters.

So if I were to play, I'd play something like this. Update: this game looks like too much fun to pass up on- I'll probably try to play :)

There may be some minor math errors- also, thanks to Baron, MDSnowman and Taliesin on ATT whose Captain America builds I borrowed from liberally.

Captain Britania Power Level 8 (150 pp)
[sblock]
STR 22 (+6), DEX 22 (+6), CON 22 (+6), INT 12 (+1), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 18 (+4)
(52 abilities)

Combat: Attack +4 (+8 melee) [+6 dmg (unarmed), +8 dmg (shield bash)] Defense 18 (13 flat-footed), Initiative +10, Move (in feet) 100 move action/200 double-move/400 sprint,
(20 combat)

Saves: Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Will +8
(9 saves)

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+14), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 4 (+10), Diplomacy 8 (+12), Handle Animal 4 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+12), Knowledge (History) 4 (+5), Knowledge (tactics) 8 (+9), Medicine 4 (+6), Notice 8 (+11), Sense Motive 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+14), Survival 4 (+7), Swim 4 (+10), Languages (English, Swahili, German, French, Arabic)
(21 skills)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Assessment, Attack Focus: Melee (4), Benefit (Status: Renown), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Elusive Target, Endurance, Equipment (1), Evasion 2, Fearless, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Inspire 5, Interpose, Leadership, Luck (2), Master Plan, Power Attack, Takedown Attack 2, Teamwork 2, Track, Ultimate Effort (Ultimate Toughness Save), Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)
(35 feats)

(13 powers)
Powers: Device 2 (Shield, easy to lose, restricted [functions as large shield for anyone else], indestructible) (8pp)
Leaping 1, Speed 1
Immunity (Diseases), Super-Strength 1

Shield: Enhanced Dodge Focus 3 (Enhanced Feats: Improved Critical, Improved Defense, Improved Block, Weapon Bind)
Strike 2 [Mighty]

Equipment: Chainmail (Protection 2)[/sblock]

Last edited:

the_myth

First Post
Karl Green said:
The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver: Two gypsies imported as part of a Circus where they were kept as part of a sideshow attraction by the unscrupulous Mister Sinister using his own powers of mesmerism. The two have broken free but their color and foreign nature makes them perpetual outcasts along with their strange abilities.
They hide their abilities and dwell in squalor.

Working from this idea...

Foundlings from Transia, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff fled their home when the local villagers blamed the strange twins for every misfortune. Pietro, who could run like the wind, and Wanda, who had phenomenal luck at just about anything, wandered Europe until Mister Sinister recruited them into his traveling circus. Billed as Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, the twins used their talents to amuse townsfolk, who presumed their amazing feats were but mere tricks. One day, while visiting England with the circus, the twins realized Sinister was manipulating them, so they fled hoping to find solace elsewhere. But two uneducated gypsies alone in England could not find reliable work or a safe home. reduced to poverty, the twins did whatever they could to survive and hide from Sinister.

Eventually Wanda came to be employed by an old woman named Agatha Harkness. Dame Agatha was visiting from America and offered Wanda a job as her companion. Reluctant to leave her brother, Wanda begged Agatha to hire him as well. But Pietro had already made the decision for both of them and ran off without a goodbye. It was then that Agatha revealed her true intentions-- she was a witch and wanted Wanda to become her apprentice! Because of her extraordinary luck, Wanda had already become acquainted with the occult arts in order to explain it away, so she trained in sorcery for seven years, eventually becoming a true witch. Wanda has now returned to England in search of her brother in the hope that he will return with her to America.

M&M ideas:

from the Sons of Darwin line: Wanda's hex powers from the comics will be transformed into Luck Control and Probability Control of some sort. Instead of being entropy/bad luck-based, I am re-envisioning them as good luck. After all, one person's good luck is usually another's bad luck anyway.

From the magic line: Wanda is a trained witch. While the comics-version has always vacillated between explaining Wanda's powers as mutant or magic or both, I'll make the 2 distinct, which will also ease rules efficiency. She'll get some standard magical abilities, but they won't be as powerful as a dedicated sorcerer's would be, which also reflects her newbie status as a magic-wielder.

Shayuri

First Post
This is gonna mark me an apostate, but I have the darndest time trying to remember which superhero was on what team when.

Is there a list of all the possible Avengers? Then I can do some searches, figure out who looks coolest, and do the conversion...

James Heard

Explorer
Doctor Strange is the heroic moniker of the revered doctor and professor of naturalism of the same name. Professionally trained at both Oxford and Arkham Universities, the good doctor has made a name for himself as a sleuth of unnatural means. Wearing his trademark deerstalker hat and his mysterious Eye of Agamotto Strange has long been one of the leading minds on the natural and supernatural world. Sir Stephen was knighted ten years ago for his work in determining the causes of and outlining preventative cures for outbreaks of malaria learned from his long sabbatical in the Himalayas.

Last edited:

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Two things.

1. This is the greatest idea for a game ever. :D

2. Would a West Coast-only Avenger be allowed? I am thinking, specifically, of Moon Knight.

Elric

First Post
Ok, here's an updated build of Captain Britania. This game looks like too much fun to pass up- I think I'm going to try to play.

CAPTAIN BRITANIA

"AVENGERS, COMBINE!!" (I've really got to work on that :))

[sblock]
PL: 8 (150 pp)

ABILITIES: STR: 22 (+6) DEX: 22 (+6) CON: 22 (+6) INT: 12 (+1) WIS: 16 (+3) CHA: 18 (+4)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 8 (+14), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 4 (+10), Concentration (+3), Diplomacy 8 (+12), Disguise (+4), Drive (+6), Escape Artist (+6), Gather Info (+4), Handle Animal 4 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+12), History 4 (+5), Tactics 8 (+9), Medicine 4 (+7), Notice 8 (+11), Search (+1), Sense Motive 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+14), Survival 8 (+11), Swim 4 (+10)

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Animal Empathy, Attack Focus: Melee (5), Benefit (Status: Renown), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Elusive Target, Endurance (1), Equipment (1), Evasion (2), Fearless, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (5), Interpose, Leadership, Luck (2), Master Plan, Power Attack, Takedown Attack (2), Teamwork (2), Track, Ultimate Effort (Ultimate Toughness Save), Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

POWERS: Speed [1], Leaping [1], Super-Strength [1], Immunity 1 (Diseases) [1], Device (Easy to Lose, PF: Indestructible, Restricted- functions as large shield for anyone else) [2],

Shield: Enhanced Dodge Focus 3, Strike 2 (PF: Mighty), Enhanced Feats: Improved Critical, Improved Defense, Improved Block, Weapon Bind

Equipment: Chain mail (Protection 2), 3 points unspent

COMBAT: Attack +3 (+8 melee) [Unarmed +6 dmg, Shield +8 dmg, Crit 19-20] Defense 18 (13 flat-footed)(Uncanny Dodge: Hearing) Init +10

Move: 100 ft as a move action/200 ft double-move/400 ft sprint
Jump: 32 ft running long, 16 ft standing long, 8 ft high jump

SAVES: Toughness +8 (+8 flat-footed) Fortitude +8 Reflex +8 (Evasion 2) Will +8

Abilities 52 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 37 + Powers 13 + Combat 16 + Saves 9 – Drawbacks 0 = 150 / 150[/sblock]

Karl Green

First Post
Elric said:
Karl Green- I don't think I'll end up wanting to play in this pbp (one pbp is enough for me), but this game looks like tons of fun. Also, your Captain Britania idea is great- I really liked Henry Rider Haggard's books and I like Captain America type characters.

So if I were to play, I'd play something like this. Update: this game looks like too much fun to pass up on- I'll probably try to play :)

There may be some minor math errors- also, thanks to Baron, MDSnowman and Taliesin on ATT whose Captain America builds I borrowed from liberally.

Captain Britania Power Level 8 (150 pp)

I can't take credit for Captain Britania, but it was a very cool idea :)

Remove ads