Marvel Superheroes: Game Closed

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I'm confused about initiative.

I read the rules in the book and they are incomplete (AFAICT). I cannot even figure them out.

VV rolled D20+4 in the IC thread, but that seems totally wrong. There are no D20s in Marvel.

Can we simplify the entire turn based thing? This concept of declaring actions, rolling init (without full rules), then changing actions because you can no longer do what you declared seems antiquated and stupid to me.

Since it is PBP, can we just have the DM roll an init system for each side and then have either the PCs or the NPCs go where the PCs go based on the order in which they post? Just make it a circular initiative system rolled in round one and don't roll each round (that is always a bad system since it causes a delay and it has one group doing back to back actions).

For PBP, this seems fastest.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
1.Yes
2. I don't know what you are asking here.
3. 4
4. Magic For Order
5. Crimson Bands of Cyttorak (Amazing), Bolt of Bedevilment (Remarkable), Seraphim’s Grim Shield (Remarkable), Sensing-Mystical Detection (Excellent). All spells are from Realms of Magic.
6. 2, 3 if you count broken English language

1. But you also have super-powers which means you would need the Mystical talent (forget it's name) to have been schooled
2. Of the three magical energirs which do you have access to )looks like all three which is fine)
3.Check
4.Ok Kool
5.I am looking over these spells this weekend.
6.Everyone can speak English(broken if they wish) for free so take that talent I can't remeber the name of please.

Let's make it Excellent (20). There is already an auto-sensing ability that all mages get. I just wanted a way to "force a mystical perception".

Your character so you want to use it like a Detect Magic spell from D&D?
auto sensing?? Ok will work that into posts

Do we need all of this complexity?

I'm still trying to learn how to play this game. Throwing a large table of modifiers in seems excessive. And one rarely sees this in the comics.

It is complex but part of the game giving bonuses and penalties we should use it a little at a time till we have it by heart. Wanted it with your character in the RG for easy access for the both of us.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Initiative
After each side has decided its intended
actions for a turn, each side rolls for
initiative. The side with the higher roll is
considered to have "won" initiative, and gets
to move first (similar to winning the toss before
a football game). All of one
side's actions take place before the other
sides. At the start of the next round, roll for
initiative again, provided there are still at
least two combatants whose actions will
interfere with each other.

Initiative Modifier: Each side adds to its
initiative mil a modifier based upon the
highest Intuition on that side. This may
allow a side with a low roll to gain initiative.
A roll of "1" is always considered to be a
"1." The initiative modifier is based on the
character's rank number:
Code:
Initative Modifier
Intuition Rank     Number
0 to 10                0
11 to 20               1
21 to 30               2
31 to 40               3
41 to 50               4
51 to 75               5
75 and up              6

Changing Actions: After making an
initiative roll, an action that sounded so good
a moment ago sounds like not such a great
idea afterwards. Example: Both you and an
opponent dive for a gun kicked across the
floor. You roll a 1 for initiative. It may be time
to re-examine your options. Changing an
action requires a yellow Agility FEAT, and
any FEATs made after changing are at a
penalty of one column shift to the left(-1CS).
The roll for changing actions takes place in
the pre-action phase of the turn.

Negating Actions: Losing the initiative
may negate certain actions. These are lost
and may not be performed during that turn.
For example, if you are knocked out before
you can land a blow, you do not get a
chance to take your action.

Each side rolls 1d10 and adds the modifiers listed above. I not sure what to do about the system, I remeber having trouble with it before back when we played. I will roll init. when you are in a group but if going single you can roll and post it with your actions. We are going to try a few things before we settle into one lets give the rules a go and then next time a d20 type init system.

HM

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
lets give the rules a go and then next time a d20 type init system.

I don't mind the D10 plus mod part of it. That works fine.

I only mind the "declare actions, lose init, now your actions are obsolete", and the "we lost init last round, we won init this round, so we have back to back actions before the opposition can react" aspect of these rules.

There were a lot of game systems in the 80s that had lousy init rules. They were experimenting a lot back then cause nobody had a good init system. I don't see a need to go back to that (quite frankly) idiocy. And they are especially worse in PBP where people don't want to post their actions twice (and roll feat rolls, just to change actions, that's just plain stupid).

One other note on this. Every round is twice as long in PBP by using the core book init system. For example:

Players 1-5 declare actions = 5 posts, DM declares init = 1 post

a) players win init = 5 more posts of rolls, DM posts enemy rolls and all outcomes, total = 12 posts

b) players lose init, DM posts enemy rolls and outcomes, players post 5 more posts of rolls, DM posts player outcomes, total = 13 posts

PBP is slow enough without having 12 or more posts per round. In a circular init system with init only being determined in round one, it becomes 1 post per player and 1 post per DM per round for a total of 6 posts (plus one extra in round 1 by the DM).

Half the number of posts and in PBP, half the amount of time.

It doesn't make sense to use an anti-PBP init system, just because it is written in the book.

Last edited:

Remove ads