Mayfair "Role Aids" products: Favorites? Conversions?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Gosh, it's been ages since I've looked at those. Lizardfolk, Lich Lords and Undead were my favorites.

Remember the Dragon's End, the tavern with the stuffed dragon's butt and tail mounted on the wall? Good times. :)

Psion

Adventurer
Eosin the Red said:
Lich Lords was one of my favorite campaigns. The DM teased out the module to last for about 2 years of weekly gaming. My poor 1st ed 11th Level Archer-Ranger didn't live to see the defeat of the Penticate.

Yeah, Lich Lords was a pretty blood game for us. It's probably one of the main campaigns of the time in which I could recount how all the PCs died.

sydbar

Explorer
I like Dragons, and Dwarves, both have interesting ideas and Dwarves has a great adventure, i really liked the one dwarf that is going on the adventure only because he wants to meet some beardless dwarven women.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*cries out in terror* It's the end of the world! Psion's done a retro thread!!!

Oh wait it's just a retro thread...

Nevermind.

VirgilCaine

First Post
HAHAHAHA!

I have Dragons and Elves.

Dragons, well. If it didn't totally reinvent dragons and just added somewhat to them, it might be interesting to use. PCs playing dragons through the life-path system where they can learn all kinds of dragon powers as they get older might be interesting.

Elves. My God.

The Dark Elven island-city is ridiculous. The author went to extravagant lengths to emphasize that the people on the island are evil--cartoonishly evil.
The "luxury" boat the PCs can enter the island on has slaves being whipped as entertainment for the guests.

It's a canal-city, like Venice, so it's like a huge cluster of tiny islands under this turtle-shell-like over-island that protects them from the sun. It's THE place to live if you're an evil rich person, apparently.

The mists of the city cause torches to sputter feebly and go out. The PCs can't have light spells in the city or "imps of darkness" will come and dispel them. If the PCs are able to keep their Light spells on, the DM is supposed to roll a % chance every turn that the guards will spot the light equal to the radius of the light (30' radius = 30% chance), even though "bright lights are easy to spot in a dark city". :confused: The guards will surround the PCs and ask them to extinguish their spell. If the PCs don't, the guards will attack...and you keep rolling to encounter more guards.

The city is illuminated by a bioluminescent lichen on the ceiling of the huge cavern the island is in...that is fed by the "alchemical factories" that render various types of kidnapped humanoid workers down into a gaseous blood substance that floats up the lichen and feeds it. The workers are forced to run on conveyer belts above the huge vats, and the belts run so fast, every so often, a worker falls into the vat. The "factories" have no other purpose.

The PCs are almost certainly going to be robbed by evil characters in the city if they believe any of the offers of magic items, treasure maps, virginal princesses, etc. for sale by and accede to talk to a PC alone about the offer...the PC is hit with a Silence spell, Charm Person and Hold Person, all at once...and is stripped of all his valuables and clothing in 3 rounds...the thieves vanish through a secret door, and unless magic is used there is "no way" to find the thieves again.

There's an intelligent axe chained to a small island shaped like a swan that has a platform for people to bemoan "the horrors of living" (as a human male is doing when the PCs see it) and then retrieve the +3 intelligent axe shaped like a swan chained to the island, and cut off their own head...

If it wasn't so cartoony, it might be interesting...

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
VirgilCaine said:
If it wasn't so cartoony, it might be interesting...

Erm... I loved it. :p

I judge adventures largely by the memorable events they create. One of these was the bit where the PCs catch a pickpocket in the dark elf city, and when confronted produces a card indicating that he's a "bonded cutpurse"

My players' reaction was priceless. :D

DMH

First Post
I have all 3 Monsters of Myth and Legend and they help fill out "far away" places.

Lizardmen is mostly cool (I love the dinosaurs that exchange souls with one tribe).

It has been a long time since I have read Dwarves- the adventure is silly, but the cultural information is good.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Psion said:
Erm... I loved it. :p

I judge adventures largely by the memorable events they create. One of these was the bit where the PCs catch a pickpocket in the dark elf city, and when confronted produces a card indicating that he's a "bonded cutpurse"

My players' reaction was priceless. :D

"Memorable"? I guess it could be termed "memorable"...I guess the stupid stuff--Imps of Darkness, whipping the slaves, the swan island, the Guaranteed Non-Poisoned Food store...overshadowed the so-so stuff.

Psion

Adventurer
VirgilCaine said:
"Memorable"? I guess it could be termed "memorable"...I guess the stupid stuff--Imps of Darkness, whipping the slaves, the swan island, the Guaranteed Non-Poisoned Food store...overshadowed the so-so stuff.

I was using the term "memorable" to refer to my play experience. I'd be surprised if you remember that... ;)

Did you, in fact, run it? Seriously, I get that it didn't work for you, but my perception differs. You point to "whipping for entertainment" as "comical evil", but that's not comical to me at all, and just the sort of thing I would expect from a depraved society such as the drow are depicted to have.

In fact, I should not be surprised to find that such things happened in our history.

Last edited:

Remove ads