• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls' Latest Thought on the Industry

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
BardStephenFox said:
Just to be clear, the risk is mitigated by not having to produce a print run, which will then sit in your warehouse for X amount of time. The risk is mitigated because you don't need to deal with a distribution channel that will certainly insist on not paying you for a month or three. The risk is mitigated because you don't have the risk that you will not be paid through your distribution channel.

Well, you glossed over the big one.

The risk is mitigated by not having to commit $5,000 (or more) up front to a print run that may or may not sell enough units to turn a profit.

hexgrid

Explorer
Son_of_Thunder said:
Are you one of them? What open source software have you written? There are generally two types of open source software writers. 1) brilliant programmers who don't care about making money and 2) those who are stickin' it to Microsoft. Which one are you?

Nope, I'm not an open source developer. I was just observing that such people exist.

Atavar

First Post
Wikis?

Hello fellow gamers,

Forgive my ignorance, but what are wikis?

Thanks,

Atavar

-----

"I walk slowly, but I never walk backward." -- Abraham Lincoln

Vigilance

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:

The risk is mitigated by not having to commit $5,000 (or more) up front to a print run that may or may not sell enough units to turn a profit.

And even when the book does turn a profit, will you get paid?

That's really the clincher for me. I am willing to bet on my ability to create a good product that will sell enough to break even. But if the books sell and you still dont get paid- well that's kind of a tipping point as far as supporting the distribution system.

BSF

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:

Well, in all honesty I don't know the numbers for publishers. As such, any numbers I throw out would be pure speculation. ;) I'm speaking mostly from my experience with wholesalers and distribution channels and the policies that come about with those.

Vigilance

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
No, in point of fact, I did not get paid...

Exactly... but us groundlings are supposed to support the retailers and the distribution dinosaur, print nothing but modules and give PDFs away for free.

Oh rolleyes how I miss you (but at least I got to say "groundlings").

JVisgaitis

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
Is this because of the "30 day" mentaliity so common to the distributors these days that in essence block reorders with misinformation?

I'm not really sure what you mean. I can tell you that initial orders in the first month were 650 something. Restocks were less then 100 the next month and we sold nothing through distribution since.

JoeGKushner

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
I'm not really sure what you mean. I can tell you that initial orders in the first month were 650 something. Restocks were less then 100 the next month and we sold nothing through distribution since.

It used to be that stock was frontlined for 90 days but now common wisdom is that after 30 days orders in essence, disappear.

Remove ads