Mearls' Latest Thought on the Industry

Ranger REG

Explorer
Crothian said:
Because many of the items that people would talk about on message boards and share simple ideas with they are now just turning into 5-10 page PDFs. Instead of people talking about this inovation and sharing ideas they are just puttign it out for sale. THat's what I got from what he said.
Ah. Like having us fans to pay highest paid athletes for their autographs or to take pictures with them.

If they want to put their material up for sale in PDF, it's their own prerogative. Just as it is my own prerogative not to pursue a credit card account so I can purchase d20 PDF online.

Am I missing out on their innovations? Ask me if I care. :]

Gantros

Explorer
Here's why I agree with Mike's position that mass d20 PDF sales hurt innovation:

Say you had an idea for some way to improve or add to a game (new mechanics, spells, monsters, etc.) that you felt was interesting enough to be worth sharing with other gamers. Before this phenomenon appeared, you basically had two possible avenues for getting your content out to the public - either you submitted it to a major publisher in the hopes it would be included in a future print product (hopefully providing you with some token compensation), or you just posted it in online forums or on your own web site (for free).

Now you have a third option - publish it yourself, and sell it for a small fee. While in the past this option was prohibitively difficult and costly, the arrival of the PDF format, cheap & powerful editing software, and easy-to-use online stores have made it far more straightforward. In fact, it has arguably become the most attractive option for many aspiring designers... they can do something they enjoy while maintaining their independence and earning a little extra cash.

The problem is that, in order for this new option to work, it requires these designers to be somewhat protective of their content. Because if it became available for free, then this option would lose its advantage over the other two. So, despite often labelling the content they create as OGC, these designers are compelled to restrict it from being seen or used by anyone who doesn't pay. So many of the interesting ideas that may have once been circulated in public forums, and potentially debated, evaluated, and improved in the process, are instead made available only to those small few who are willing to keep paying and sort through the vast sea of available material in the online stores.

Of course, it could be argued that without the financial incentive, no one would have bothered to generate much of this content in the first place. But it could equally be argued that much of the content that would otherwise have been made freely available is instead restricted to a much more limited audience.

The PDF model also has other issues. In order to create products for which a reasonable fee could be charged, it's common to lump a variety of different ideas with some related theme into one package. So even if only one or two of the ideas interest you, you have to pay for the whole thing. Also, you can't really know how useful a product will be until you buy it and read it. Reviews help, but they're subjective, and the sheer quantity of products available makes it difficult if not impossible to generate reviews of consistent quality for all of them.

I think the response to recent proposals for d20 OGC wikis serve to highlight these problems. Instead of getting an organized and searchable index filled with diverse ideas to improve peoples games and stimulate further development, we get resistance from a new breed of semi-profressional designers attempting to jealously guard their money-generating content. I'm heartened to see there's at least one designer who sees this as a negative thing.

frankthedm

First Post
Maybe he is unhappy that people fixed broken parts of iron heroes without buying even more of his books? :p I ain't a psion, i could not tell you what he is actually thinking.

As for my unhumble opinion. So what? People are trying to make a few bucks selling ideas they took thier precious time to develop, rather than letting a small number of big companies be the only ones to profit of a fan's idea, ala dragon magazine?

Collaborating on game design in a public forum is a mistake unless you have already chosen to given your work away for free. Designing game material with one’s real-life friends is not without hazard as I am sure there are those IN the industry who sundered their own groups apart to garner profit for themselves off the ideas of people who had counted them as friends. At least now publishers cannot so easily steal fan work as the once did, since it has been published and would make a nice exhibit A in a juicy civil lawsuit.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Mearls' point is everyone selling their ideas instead of sharing them is counter to an open source movement. He's absolutely on target. I can agree that's a bad thing as far as WOTC is concerned. It's not necessarily a bad thing for small publishers.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Edit: On second thought, I think that it might be more productive to excuse myself from further commentary on the subject.

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Crothian said:
Because the people who would be the most innovative are turning away from posting the ideas on the sties and instead are just typeing them up and selling them.

Like Mike Mearls, Monte Cook and Chris Pramas?

My point is Crothian, everything you say may be true, but it doesnt just apply to PDF publishers, it applies to all print products as well.

What Mearls is saying is that PDF products uniquely hurt d20 system "innovation" and that is not true.

pogre

Legend
Vigilance said:
Like Mike Mearls, Monte Cook and Chris Pramas?

My point is Crothian, everything you say may be true, but it doesnt just apply to PDF publishers, it applies to all print products as well.

What Mearls is saying is that PDF products uniquely hurt d20 system "innovation" and that is not true.

PDFs are unique in their relatively low entry level - I think that's the point: Half-baked ideas straight to PDF.

frankthedm

First Post
pogre said:
PDFs are unique in their relatively low entry level - I think that's the point: Half-baked ideas straight to PDF.
At least now if a game developer want to polish up an idea, they can BUY it rather than STEAL it. :D yeah i know idea theft does not happen that often, but anything is possible

Man, it is a bit late for a discussion like this. i better get back to making that blue slime... see my mini thread...

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
tetsujin28 said:
Good Lord! How dare they make money from their ideas? Why, that's...that's...capitalism!
Not the point. Edit: A nice quote on that...
Adam Smith said:
Consumption is the sole end and purpose of all production; and the interest of the producer ought to be attended to, only so far as it may be necessary for promoting that of the consumer.

I think Mike Mearls had some good points, but overall I don't agree with him. I agree that some authors contribute less to the common bowl of game content because they instead release their works for money in pdfs, but I also think many works would have never happened without monetary compensation. Overall, the effect of the paid-for works exceeds the small losses, creating a more vibrant and diverse body of game-related content.

In fact, I'll be buying two pdfs today: Mythic Heroes, and EN Armory: Shields. :)
(I doubt either content would have been written without financial incentive, and if it would have been then it would have been far more difficult to find.)

Last edited:

Remove ads