Mearls' Latest Thought on the Industry

JoeGKushner

First Post
pogre said:
PDFs are unique in their relatively low entry level - I think that's the point: Half-baked ideas straight to PDF.

The lower barrier to production does make it seem that way. Many of the little evils of print products, such as poor editing, are still present in PDF files. Many of the benefits of print products, including good art and good use of white space, are not used in PDF. Heck, many PDF files are in essence text files with a good lay out.

Having siad that, there are many PDF's that do not follow this pattern. There are many that utilize different formats to try and make reading them onscreen easier, or using RTF to allow ease of copy and pasting.

Just as with print products, there are good and bad PDF works released, but because of the lower entry, the sheer deludge of bad material is far more evidenced.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
BelenUmeria said:
Honestly, the PDF industry cannot touch D&D. IT has, however, truly screwed smaller publishers.

Again, I disagree. The distribution channel has screwed smaller publishers. PDF has, in fact, allowed smaller publishers to bring in income on OOP products that otherwise would have never been available again.

As distribution sales dropped more and more publishers turned to PDF. Over the last 18-24 months we've seen A LOT of small publishers grow to depend on PDF sales to replace income lost as the retail stores reduced their offerings and/or closed down.

Belen

Adventurer
philreed said:
I disagree. The next generation is going to be symbiotic with the internet and, with things like downloadable music and television shows, will expect that all entertainment is downloadable.

I think we'll see the PDF industry grow to rival the print industry over the next 5 to 10 years.

Bull. The only way you could make this comparison would be if RPGs has the same type of coverage as music, movies, and television. Kids get introduced to these things for free outside of the internet. They learn to like it before they ever attempt to go online and buy it.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
JoeGKushner said:
Just as with print products, there are good and bad PDF works released, but because of the lower entry, the sheer deludge of bad material is far more evidenced.

I completely agree. I feel one of the biggest failures of the PDF industry has been the lack of sufficient quality control and expected standards. Since it's so easy to throw anything into a web catalog just about anything gets in.

As the PDF industry matures I expect we'll see the barriers to entry grow significantly.

Vigilance

Explorer
BelenUmeria said:
Bull. The only way you could make this comparison would be if RPGs has the same type of coverage as music, movies, and television. Kids get introduced to these things for free outside of the internet. They learn to like it before they ever attempt to go online and buy it.

But that's not what Mearls is saying.

He's not saying PDF publishers are doing nothing to extend the hobby into the next generation.

He's saying we are hurting innovation because we don't give things away for free on the web.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
BelenUmeria said:

So you're saying that RPGs have no chance of growing online?

Belen

Adventurer
philreed said:
Again, I disagree. The distribution channel has screwed smaller publishers. PDF has, in fact, allowed smaller publishers to bring in income on OOP products that otherwise would have never been available again.

As distribution sales dropped more and more publishers turned to PDF. Over the last 18-24 months we've seen A LOT of small publishers grow to depend on PDF sales to replace income lost as the retail stores reduced their offerings and/or closed down.

No. It has further sidelined publishers by making one segment of the market far too important to their success. It may be keeping them alive, but it is not generating a larger customer base. It is catering to people on ENWorld, RPGnet etc. Having to survive on PDF income is not a sign of success.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm inclined to think that the possibility of .pdf publishing has made some people, rather than simply throw half-baked ideas out, actually polish and complete ideas that they might not have developed without the possible financial benefit of .pdf publication.

Vigilance

Explorer
BelenUmeria said:
Having to survive on PDF income is not a sign of success.

But it sure beats going out of business.

And since PDF income keeps many small publishers in business (and some not-so small ones honestly), it therefore has not "screwed" small publishers, its given them an option to the archaic dinosaur of a distribution system.

Vigilance

Explorer
John Q. Mayhem said:
I'm inclined to think that the possibility of .pdf publishing has made some people, rather than simply throw half-baked ideas out, actually polish and complete ideas that they might not have developed without the possible financial benefit of .pdf publication.

Whoa.

You're saying capitalism fosters hard work and innovation?

That's crazy talk.

Remove ads