D&D 5E Mediation, Meditation, Devastation: A Monk's Guide

G

Guest 6801328

Sorry if this has been dissected and argued about already, but this combo just occurred to me.

Way of the Open Hand Monk
Magic Initiate with Booming Blade
Polearm Master

1) Hit with staff and cast Booming Blade
2) Flurry of Blows, and use Shove to push opponent away (use it on both extra attacks: it's free and you double down on the opposed ability check)
3) When opponent tries to re-close the gap, Booming Blade detonates AND opportunity attack is triggered

Downsides:
- Even with a Variant Human Monks don't really have room for Feats
- Monks are MAD already and Shove is based on Strength
- Not all opponents can be shoved

But could be wicked fun anyway

Thoughts?

EDIT: And what other two spells (one cantrips, one 1st level) to take? Your spellcasting will be based on Int or Cha, so attacks and saves will be bad. Find Familiar and Save the Dying?

Or Create Bonfire? Shove them into the fire.

EDIT 2: Reading through the cantrips the choices seem to be utility (Light, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, etc.) or Create Bonfire. Everything else depends on a stat a Monk won't have.

Last edited by a moderator:

mellored

Legend
1: You have that backwards. You cast booming blade as your action, which allows you to hit with your staff.

2: Booming blade is not an attack action, it's a cantrip. No flurry, no TWF, no shove, no grapple. The only (?) ways to make a second attack would be valor bard 14, or eldrich knight 7, sorcerer's quicken, or action surge.

Compatible to an at-will power and basic attacks in 4e.

That said, you can still stun, sneak attack, or smite with booming blade. All of which just require hitting, not the "attack action".

G

Guest 6801328

1: You have that backwards. You cast booming blade as your action, which allows you to hit with your staff.

2: Booming blade is not an attack action, it's a cantrip. No flurry, no TWF, no shove, no grapple. The only (?) ways to make a second attack would be valor bard 14, or eldrich knight 7, sorcerer's quicken, or action surge.

Compatible to an at-will power and basic attacks in 4e.

That said, you can still stun, sneak attack, or smite with booming blade. All of which just require hitting, not the "attack action".

Ah, curses. Foiled again.

God that would have been a fun build.

G

Guest 6801328

Consider Booming blade + mobile feat + polearm master + warcaster.

Probably as an eldrich knight, since it takes so many extra feats.

And too many levels to get there. If it's not fun before level 8 I probably wouldn't bother.

G

Guest 6801328

So, then the question is: what's the best starting Fear for variant Humans?

Go with Polearm Master anyway, figuring that being approached by enemies will happen a lot, and I can use the Shove trick anyway?

Mobile for hit-and-run tactics?

Something else?

EDIT: Just noticed that Yunru didn't even include it in "Feats worth taking". Why's that? Just because half of the feat is (sort of) redundant with Martial Arts?

Even then, whenever I'm not using Flurry I'd rather hit them with the polearm than my fist because of the stat bonus. (1d4 + 5 == 1d14) Potentially a magic weapon makes it even better.

Am I missing something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Unarmed Strikes do get stat bonuses. Very few magical items though. Polearm Master offers you basically nothing (free 1d4+stat attack with feat vs free 1d4 (or bigger)+stat attack without reuiring a feat).

Proc'ing OAs on approach would be alright, but it's not worth a precious ASI, especially when there's so many feats you can fully utilize.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
So, then the question is: what's the best starting Fear for variant Humans?

Go with Polearm Master anyway, figuring that being approached by enemies will happen a lot, and I can use the Shove trick anyway?

Mobile for hit-and-run tactics?

Something else?
You can only shove on an "attack action". But yes, you can shove away, and use your polearm master reaction to hit them when they move close to you. Doesn't seem any better then just hitting them in the first place though, unless there's something to push them into / off of. But even then, your using a feat for it.

Mobile can be a bit redundant, since you can run from stunned creatures, and have disengage as a bonus action if you need to get away. Still good since it's guaranteed, but it loses some value as a monk.

Defensive duelist is pretty thematic, call it "catch blade" to match catch arrows. Though it's better at higher level.

Observant or athlete for the +1 stat as much as the secondary benefit. Assuming it rounds up a 15 to a 16. And resilient as well if your not going to level 14.

Healer if no one else takes it.

Toughness (almost +2 Con) or lucky are good all rounders.

There's also utility ones, like ritual caster, skilled, or dungeon delver, depending on the rest of your party.

G

Guest 6801328

You can only shove on an "attack action". But yes, you can shove away, and use your polearm master reaction to hit them when they move close to you. Doesn't seem any better then just hitting them in the first place though, unless there's something to push them into / off of.

I forgot, and Yunru pointed out, that Monks do get stat bonus on their bonus attack, so this is moot anyway.

But what is wrong with:
1) Take Attack action and whack enemy normally.
2) Use Flurry of Blows and hit them twice more.
3) Invoke Open Hand Technique and Shove (twice, to effectively give the target disadvantage)
4) On their turn when they approach, you get an AoO.

(It's really a bummer that the Martial Arts doesn't go ahead and say that Monk Weapons are finesse weapons in your hands. Because then you could multi-class into rogue and get a Sneak Attack with that AoO.)

Still, I guess I'll go with either Mobile or Lucky.

mellored

Legend
I forgot, and Yunru pointed out, that Monks do get stat bonus on their bonus attack, so this is moot anyway.

But what is wrong with:
1) Take Attack action and whack enemy normally.
2) Use Flurry of Blows and hit them twice more.
3) Invoke Open Hand Technique and Shove (twice, to effectively give the target disadvantage)
4) On their turn when they approach, you get an AoO.

(It's really a bummer that the Martial Arts doesn't go ahead and say that Monk Weapons are finesse weapons in your hands. Because then you could multi-class into rogue and get a Sneak Attack with that AoO.)

Still, I guess I'll go with either Mobile or Lucky.
Forgot about open hand. Yes that works.

Though, you need to both hit and have them fail a save. 2 attacks, but each attack needs 2 good rolls.

And they specifically didn't make the quarterstaff finesse.

Remove ads