D&D 5E Mediation, Meditation, Devastation: A Monk's Guide

G

Guest 6801328

Oh I didn't mean to imply it was an omission. I think they very intentionally said "you can use your Dex instead of Str" without calling it Finesse.

I was just wishing.

mellored

Legend
Thoughts on Kensai?

First though is that it's not limited to melee weapons, and you can use Str.
So a barbarian2/monk 3 has a 1d8+str+rage+10 sharpshooter+advantage from reckless (+1d4 bonus action) attack. Add fighter 12 to multiply it, plus precision strike, then more barbarian for more rage.
Also works for Str based rogues.
Second thought is a dex based maul, allowing great weapon master + stunned enemies. May not be worth it though.
Most other's kensi get +2 AC, which is certainly helpful. Though the extra 1d4 damage isn't really any better than martial arts, but helps helps a little with ranged attacks.
Given that you have 3 weapons, take longbow, maul, and rapier for flexibility.

Precise strike is pretty bleh, given you need to use a bonus action, is only 1 attack, and it's before you roll.
Sharpen the Blade is good.
Unerring accuracy is great. And isn't limited to the kensi weapons.

Given the monk has good control with stuns (the only control you need), the extra AC, accuracy, and ranged options (+ innate mobility) are all pretty complimentary. So it works well overall, despite precise strike being a dud.

Nathan Mitchell

First Post
Thoughts on a Moon Druid/Sun Soul Monk multiclass?

I'm thinking Wild Shape into a flying creature and rain lasers from the sky could be very fun, not to mention having somewhat decent AC in Wild Shape. As a Monk I don't have to worry too much about fall damage either. Would this be effective or just funny in a one-shot?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
... Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu-
I was wondering why you didn't just see that part of the guide. Guess what was lost in the reset?

Vulryn

First Post
Hello there! I have a question about the Monk and lizardfolks (not that a lizardfolk Monk makes necessarily sense, it's more about mechanics):

The lizardfolk allows you to make unarmed bite attacks (1d6)+strength modifier and sets your ac to 13+dex modifier, whereas the Monk allows you to use +dex as your mod for unarmed attacks and adds +wis to your ac. So, a lizardfolk Monk would be able to attack 1d6+dex unarmed, and would get 13 ac +dex+wis ? Or is there an error in my thinking? I'm fairly new to the game, so please bear with me on this one.

P.s.: The search function had no Information about this Topic :/

mellored

Legend
Hello there! I have a question about the Monk and lizardfolks (not that a lizardfolk Monk makes necessarily sense, it's more about mechanics):

The lizardfolk allows you to make unarmed bite attacks (1d6)+strength modifier and sets your ac to 13+dex modifier, whereas the Monk allows you to use +dex as your mod for unarmed attacks and adds +wis to your ac. So, a lizardfolk Monk would be able to attack 1d6+dex unarmed, and would get 13 ac +dex+wis ? Or is there an error in my thinking? I'm fairly new to the game, so please bear with me on this one.

P.s.: The search function had no Information about this Topic :/

Yes, to unarmed strikes doing 1d6+dex. Though as you advance in monk levels, that will go up.

No to AC. You get either 13+dex OR 10+dex+wis. Not both.

Remove ads