• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meet a Professional Game Master

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

attachment.php

Michael Tresca (MT): What's your gaming background?

Timm Woods (TW): I'd say my gaming background is simultaneously considered thorough to some, and sparse to others. I first discovered D&D when I was around 10 or 11 (when Magic the Gathering and Warcraft were fresh to me), and played with my siblings, but never really got to play all that much through high school and college. Being "inside" the hobby in terms of following it (I received Dungeon magazine and read every rulebook cover to cover from 2nd edition onward) while being "outside" the hobby in terms of playtime (I don't think I ever properly finished an adventure as a GM until I was in my 20s) had a weird result. I felt that it equipped me to see another side of the hobby: the "lost players". A large part of going into this business, for me, hinged on the idea that there are a great number of D&D enthusiasts who are still under-served by the volunteer GMing available amongst their friend circles and in their area, and that these individuals are happy to pay a professional as a way to reengage their lost hobby in a comfortable way.

MT: What are you working on currently?

TW: At the moment, I'm still working out the details of my dissertation and publication, although I do have a chapter available for viewing in the collection The Role-Playing Society (you can check out details here). That chapter covers a lot of the same ideas I have about gaming (albeit dated now).

MT: What's your dissertation about?

TW: My dissertation is about the potential importance of games to the learning process, particularly in the context of the language-learning and writing classroom. I'm detailing the ludic and pedagogical history of TRPGs (which, I argue, were historically almost always considered as educational tools FIRST and leisure activities SECOND), investigating potential uses for TRPGs as learning tools, and designing concepts for what a TRPG-based curriculum would look like.

MT: What gaming activities have you participated in?

TW: I've run university courses with game-based mechanics, including one first-year writing course in which I used The Quiet Year to encourage motivational roleplaying and in-character collaborative writing. In my after-school programs aimed at younger students, I use TRPGs like D&D as a tool for facilitating social interactions between students (some of whom are on the special needs spectrum). Even in the ordinary adult games I run, I use my classroom tactics as a way to keep the play flowing, and to bring new players quickly up to speed.

MT: How did you become a professional game master?

TW: I definitely stumbled into this career, in a sense, and it's primarily my background in education and English language that has allowed me to pursue it this way. I was originally looking for opportunities in the RPG industry when I started working retail at a large Manhattan comic book shop, basically selling the boxed sets and books for D&D 4e and Pathfinder and meeting people within the hobby. The most common response I got from customers regarding TRPGs was "huh, D&D, I always wanted to try that game," to the point where I was receiving that answer roughly once a day. It put into perspective how much of the hobby is transferred on a very personal level. For so many of us, the story is the same: we played their first RPG by some fluke or accident, at a young age, and now either play regularly or, more likely, currently have no point of access to the hobby. I started handing out business cards, then started working with a local gaming cafe, organizing and running D&D Encounters and my own games. Since early last summer, I've moved on to running my own freelance games and afterschool programs through a variety of Manhattan learning institutions like Winston Prep and the Quad Prep.

MT: What tips do you have for other aspiring professional GMs?

TW: A lot of what I feel a professional GM, and any GM, needs is less about running the game and more about setting the context for the game. I try to bring to the game-table what I bring to my classroom: a sense of fair play, of making sure everyone gets equal attention, of getting everyone comfortable in their roles. A GM is always part referee and part narrator, but a professional is also part host, part businessperson, part teacher, and part paid performer. You're creating an experience, and you're responsible for that experience in a sense that really transcends the game rules. If a player is a jerk in my game, it's at least partly my responsibility to handle the situation. In a sense, this is unlike a regular GM, although I argue that a big issue with TRPGs is that almost all GMs end up getting saddled with this role of "meta-facilitator" whether they realize it or not; essentially a human-resources role that GMs are not always prepared to tackle. Even just classic Dungeons & Dragons means so many different things to so many different people, and with a paying group you want to ensure that you run the game they had in mind (while still surprising them), which is not necessarily the game you learned to play. It's made me think of RPGs differently, and in some ways allowed me to more fully adopt the role of "showrunner"-- albeit with the knowledge that, like a showrunner, my "ratings" pay my rent. TL;DR, Recognize what makes your sessions fun, and focus and highlight those elements while clearly communicating with the group and basing the campaign around them.

You can follow Timm on Twitter.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Celebrim

Legend
I suspect most of that 40 hour week would be spent working out how to convince me your service is worth as much as any other $500 I could spend on, say, watching 50 movies at the cinema or buying 100 role playing games. I suspect you would not succeed. You would have to be an actual celebrity or something for the novelty value.

Cost of my time spent acting as a sales person and advertising hasn't even been figured in. That would raise the rates I'm quoting, not lowering them. And it's precisely the reason I work for an international engineering firm rather than as an independent contractor. It's definitely 'worth it' to share my value with the persons that do the sales legwork.

And yes, given that my premise is that - for now - this isn't a really viable career, and that the only real viable niche is 'celebrity DM to the rich and famous', yes I completely agree with your assessment. You are reinforcing my point - not detracting from it. Yes, I couldn't market myself to the people that could pay for me, and might be willing to pay for a DM, with my level of visibility in the market. Someone like for example Wil Wheaton or some of the more prominent youtube celebrities in the community on the other hand perhaps could. But if you aren't that level of visibility, then even if the niche exists you won't be able to get into it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cost of my time spent acting as a sales person and advertising hasn't even been figured in. That would raise the rates I'm quoting, not lowering them. And it's precisely the reason I work for an international engineering firm rather than as an independent contractor. It's definitely 'worth it' to share my value with the persons that do the sales legwork.

And yes, given that my premise is that - for now - this isn't a really viable career, and that the only real viable niche is 'celebrity DM to the rich and famous', yes I completely agree with your assessment. You are reinforcing my point - not detracting from it. Yes, I couldn't market myself to the people that could pay for me, and might be willing to pay for a DM, with my level of visibility in the market. Someone like for example Wil Wheaton or some of the more prominent youtube celebrities in the community on the other hand perhaps could. But if you aren't that level of visibility, then even if the niche exists you won't be able to get into it.

Exactly my point. Nobody is worth $500 for a game session, excepting a celebrity for the novelty value. Even then your market is birthday treats or the like.

But, more importantly, you are the only one who introduced the exorbitant $500 figure into the conversation. Nobody else has suggested that anybody charge that much, and 99% of the world makes a living on a fraction of that wage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hopefully he took enough economics, or read enough economics in the process of running D&D games, that he has a viable model. My guess is that his current model is just about replacing his income that he would otherwise get from working retail - maybe $9.50 an hour - until he can actually get a 'real job'.

That implies he only needs to come up with like $400 a week to make it more worthwhile than a retail job or fast food. Of course, this isn't even a living wage in Manhattan, much less something that is going to dig him out of his $200,000 in student loans (because most Master's programs in non-science fields don't come with a stipend). Still, he probably can come up with the $400 a week in Manhattan no problem. Heck, I bet with four large gigs and two small gigs, he might be doing better than that.

I hope he's made a good study of the tax code. That might come as a big surprise.

I hope so too. This article makes me think of people who spend a lot of money to get degrees that will not get them a job that pays anything. Though I'm guessing his end game isn't running D&D games, its probably a life in the education field.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I suspect most of that 40 hour week would be spent working out how to convince me your service is worth as much as any other $500 I could spend on, say, watching 50 movies at the cinema or buying 100 role playing games. I suspect you would not succeed. You would have to be an actual celebrity or something for the novelty value.

Exactly.

No-one, except maybe a celebrity, is going to make $100/hour doing this. But I could see people making $20-25 / hour. That works out to roughly $5 per person per hour.

I'd like to see what the market rate is.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Exactly my point. Nobody is worth $500 for a game session, excepting a celebrity for the novelty value. Even then your market is birthday treats or the like.

But, more importantly, you are the only one who introduced the exorbitant $500 figure into the conversation. Nobody else has suggested that anybody charge that much, and 99% of the world makes a living on a fraction of that wage.
Clicking through on the Patreon link turned up a figure of $942 for six sessions of five hours each per month. Which on the surface looks like $30 per hour of play. Sessions are run using Fantasy Grounds and the adventures were created by him so it's safe to say he is very familiar with them. From my own DMing I would spend a few hours a week preparing my campaign, which I guess you have to be charging to the sessions whether or not the work was done well in advance. Plus there are some other costs such as self-promotion and accountancy. So I would guess he is earning somewhere around $20 per hour all told. Maybe less.

As to the question, is $500 exorbitant for DMing a session. I feel it is genuinely irrelevant if most of the world live on a fraction of that, because most of the world is not paid fairly for their time full stop. Assuming a 5-hour session, we are discussing $100 per hour. That is the sort of fee one might pay a Lawyer to deal with a relatively straightforward task. And an IT consultant or project manager might be charging anywhere from $40 per hour to $200 per hour. An artist commissioned to paint a piece that took 30 hours could earn anything from $10 per hour to $10,000!

I want to be controversial and argue that $100 per hour is what anyone really expert in their field should be getting. I know many do not get this, and that is an injustice, but it still feels correct to me. Do we value a DM's expertise so little compared with other creative professionals?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Clicking through on the Patreon link turned up a figure of $942 for six sessions of five hours each per month. Which on the surface looks like $30 per hour of play. Sessions are run using Fantasy Grounds and the adventures were created by him so it's safe to say he is very familiar with them. From my own DMing I would spend a few hours a week preparing my campaign, which I guess you have to be charging to the sessions whether or not the work was done well in advance. Plus there are some other costs such as self-promotion and accountancy. So I would guess he is earning somewhere around $20 per hour all told. Maybe less.

As to the question, is $500 exorbitant for DMing a session. I feel it is genuinely irrelevant if most of the world live on a fraction of that, because most of the world is not paid fairly for their time full stop. Assuming a 5-hour session, we are discussing $100 per hour. That is the sort of fee one might pay a Lawyer to deal with a relatively straightforward task. And an IT consultant or project manager might be charging anywhere from $40 per hour to $200 per hour. An artist commissioned to paint a piece that took 30 hours could earn anything from $10 per hour to $10,000!

I want to be controversial and argue that $100 per hour is what anyone really expert in their field should be getting. I know many do not get this, and that is an injustice, but it still feels correct to me. Do we value a DM's expertise so little compared with other creative professionals?

I will admit I put game playing skills lower than the other examples. If I pay an IT consultant 200 an hour on a project I expect to reap rewards in excess of that. I've never played a game worth that kind of expense.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
The problem is that what a reasonable rate looks like isn't what you think it is. I'd need to charge $80 per session per player at minimum. And that's for a work load that amounts to pulling a 60+ hour work week every week (leaving a few weeks for a much needed vacation). It is also a work load that I could really only pull off if I was single.

I was thinking a similar thing. I'd imagine that you could work out reusable material so that you wouldn't be putting in 60 hours/week for very long. (I'd have to charge extra for original/exclusive campaign material.) The big issue I see is the time limitations. (I'm imagining this is for Face-to-Face GMing). I mean, on a weekday, you've got maybe 4 hours to run a game (say 6 pm to 10 pm), and how many weeknights could you fill a table? I'd guess maybe three. Weekends you could do longer/more sessions, of course, but losing weekends can be a big pain.

So, you're looking at (I'm estimating) 7 or less 4 hour sessions/seek*, say average 4 players/session. 28 player-sessions/week. What's a good (pre-tax) weekly salary $1k (for that Ramen-noodle lifestyle), $2k (for a wife and kids), $3k (living well)? (Probably depends on your geographic cost of living) Divide by 28. You'd need to charge a fee of $36 just to get $1k. This is, of course, in the magical place where you can fill all those sessions. (Probably not where I live.)

Of course, if you have a "day job" that does most of your financial heavy lifting, then I could see doing this as some kind of semi-pro hobby. Charge only $10-$20/head. That's probably not too far off from some crafty folk's Etsy money, a hobby paying for itself.

Of course, that leaves me with the question of...would you pay $20/game for a GM?

*which is already 28 hours of "work". Which leaves 12 for prep, assuming you want a reasonable work-week by American standards, that seems precious little to prep 7 different unique games.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I COULD see this being, potentially, a great source of extra income for a family where it makes economic sense for the least paid parent to leave their job to take care of the kids (child care is expensive as heck!) and the stay-at-home parent could run a group on the side to continue contributing to the household financially. My wife and I have started going over the numbers, and we are almost at the point (but not quite) where it would be better for me to quit my job than pay for child care.

There was a point (years ago) when my wife and I did a similar calculation and it had me home-schooling the kids for several years because sending them to a good school/child care, + extra car + extra work wardrobe for me +extra food $ for me, etc. came up to me working for effectively less than $5k a year. We said "no, thanks." It just wouldn't be worth the extra stress and loss of happiness.

I never thought of professional DMing for extra income at the time, but that was a time before so many people were stringing together gig-income from things like Etsy crafting.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Some ways to make this profitable.

You have a portfolio of adventures and maybe one or two adventure paths that you know backwards and forwards and have all the battemaps, terrain, minis, and other play aids for. You would want a professional look, so you wouldn't just throw a bunch of random maps and minis together. They should thematically fit together.

You keep running the same games for one offs and run multiple APs/Campaigns (same AP/campaign but different groups).

You use free or low-cost scheduling software/services.

Running on-line vs in-person is likely going to be more profitable.

For one-offs you allow up to 8 players. Maybe you cancel if fewer than 4 sign up (but some money is better than none, so maybe you run it with 2 or 3, depends on the adventure).

I think that market may bear a $15-20 charge per seat for a 4-hour session. I would certainly pay that, even with my current gaming. If the DM is good, I would pay for the occasion one-off. If I had a hard time getting a group together, I may pay that much every week for an on-going, well-run campaign.

At the lower amount of $15 per see, and say only 4 players, that $60 for four hours. So $15 an hour, or twice minimum wage in Minnesota. If you can get a couple more players, you make more money.

If you can consistently fill seats for eight hours a day (basically two sessions per day) and if you are re-running many of the same material keeping your prep time down, you can make living. Are you going to get rich? No, not unless you find a way to manage a large group of GMs and make a cut from all their work, but I don't see the industry anywhere near being able to support that right now.

The upfront cost in time and software is high, but I suspect that most GMs who are considering this have already made this investment. They just need to put together a portfolio of adventures and campaigns that they know they can run well, that were popular with players.

In-person games would need to be more expensive. I would expect professionalism in terms of the quality of the battlemaps, terrain, minis. Players would have even higher expectations of an in-person GM's presentation. The ability to act can be a big help here. Not a big deal for me, but I think it would be a draw for the kinds of people who would pay for this. If I were to DM in-person events for money, I would tie them to food and drink. Make some money on the catering. A good comparison may be a friend of mine who runs a business running live-play murder mysteries. She has a large Victorian home and is an excellent cook. She can charge quite a bit for a night of what is basically LARPing without dice rolls. The meal is a big part of that. I would cater RPG parties. Have thematic food and drink. The problem with this model, though, is all of the expenses and work to set up. You would probably have to be willing to travel and perhaps you would partner with an event planner so your event can be part of their book events they can offer. I think it would be really hard to do in person full time.

That said, my friend that does the murder mysteries often gets businesses to pay for it as an employee event / team building exercise. I think it would be hard to do this for a TTRPG event, but times are changing. If you are in the right market, you very well may find companies willing to pay for such a thing. If you are already in the catering or event-planning business, and love running games, maybe there are opportunities to combines work and hobby.

For me, the biggest obstacle is that this is work. You are making your cherished hobby work. If you want to make money, you cant run it like you do your home game. You'll be an entertainer. You'll get tired of running the same games. If you are constantly making new material, the prep time will make it unprofitable. You have to be customer focuses. You'll be judged and commented on. You'll have to deal with unreasonable players that you may depend on for your livelihood. For some people, it will work out. For most it won't. Loving to do an activities doesn't mean you'll love trying to make a living from it. If I had to make a living running games, I would probably come to hate gaming.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads