• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meet a Professional Game Master

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

attachment.php

Michael Tresca (MT): What's your gaming background?

Timm Woods (TW): I'd say my gaming background is simultaneously considered thorough to some, and sparse to others. I first discovered D&D when I was around 10 or 11 (when Magic the Gathering and Warcraft were fresh to me), and played with my siblings, but never really got to play all that much through high school and college. Being "inside" the hobby in terms of following it (I received Dungeon magazine and read every rulebook cover to cover from 2nd edition onward) while being "outside" the hobby in terms of playtime (I don't think I ever properly finished an adventure as a GM until I was in my 20s) had a weird result. I felt that it equipped me to see another side of the hobby: the "lost players". A large part of going into this business, for me, hinged on the idea that there are a great number of D&D enthusiasts who are still under-served by the volunteer GMing available amongst their friend circles and in their area, and that these individuals are happy to pay a professional as a way to reengage their lost hobby in a comfortable way.

MT: What are you working on currently?

TW: At the moment, I'm still working out the details of my dissertation and publication, although I do have a chapter available for viewing in the collection The Role-Playing Society (you can check out details here). That chapter covers a lot of the same ideas I have about gaming (albeit dated now).

MT: What's your dissertation about?

TW: My dissertation is about the potential importance of games to the learning process, particularly in the context of the language-learning and writing classroom. I'm detailing the ludic and pedagogical history of TRPGs (which, I argue, were historically almost always considered as educational tools FIRST and leisure activities SECOND), investigating potential uses for TRPGs as learning tools, and designing concepts for what a TRPG-based curriculum would look like.

MT: What gaming activities have you participated in?

TW: I've run university courses with game-based mechanics, including one first-year writing course in which I used The Quiet Year to encourage motivational roleplaying and in-character collaborative writing. In my after-school programs aimed at younger students, I use TRPGs like D&D as a tool for facilitating social interactions between students (some of whom are on the special needs spectrum). Even in the ordinary adult games I run, I use my classroom tactics as a way to keep the play flowing, and to bring new players quickly up to speed.

MT: How did you become a professional game master?

TW: I definitely stumbled into this career, in a sense, and it's primarily my background in education and English language that has allowed me to pursue it this way. I was originally looking for opportunities in the RPG industry when I started working retail at a large Manhattan comic book shop, basically selling the boxed sets and books for D&D 4e and Pathfinder and meeting people within the hobby. The most common response I got from customers regarding TRPGs was "huh, D&D, I always wanted to try that game," to the point where I was receiving that answer roughly once a day. It put into perspective how much of the hobby is transferred on a very personal level. For so many of us, the story is the same: we played their first RPG by some fluke or accident, at a young age, and now either play regularly or, more likely, currently have no point of access to the hobby. I started handing out business cards, then started working with a local gaming cafe, organizing and running D&D Encounters and my own games. Since early last summer, I've moved on to running my own freelance games and afterschool programs through a variety of Manhattan learning institutions like Winston Prep and the Quad Prep.

MT: What tips do you have for other aspiring professional GMs?

TW: A lot of what I feel a professional GM, and any GM, needs is less about running the game and more about setting the context for the game. I try to bring to the game-table what I bring to my classroom: a sense of fair play, of making sure everyone gets equal attention, of getting everyone comfortable in their roles. A GM is always part referee and part narrator, but a professional is also part host, part businessperson, part teacher, and part paid performer. You're creating an experience, and you're responsible for that experience in a sense that really transcends the game rules. If a player is a jerk in my game, it's at least partly my responsibility to handle the situation. In a sense, this is unlike a regular GM, although I argue that a big issue with TRPGs is that almost all GMs end up getting saddled with this role of "meta-facilitator" whether they realize it or not; essentially a human-resources role that GMs are not always prepared to tackle. Even just classic Dungeons & Dragons means so many different things to so many different people, and with a paying group you want to ensure that you run the game they had in mind (while still surprising them), which is not necessarily the game you learned to play. It's made me think of RPGs differently, and in some ways allowed me to more fully adopt the role of "showrunner"-- albeit with the knowledge that, like a showrunner, my "ratings" pay my rent. TL;DR, Recognize what makes your sessions fun, and focus and highlight those elements while clearly communicating with the group and basing the campaign around them.

You can follow Timm on Twitter.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

clearstream

(He, Him)
I will admit I put game playing skills lower than the other examples. If I pay an IT consultant 200 an hour on a project I expect to reap rewards in excess of that. I've never played a game worth that kind of expense.
That's really the issue isn't it: how the value is leveraged? When you hire a lawyer or IT consultant you are avoiding a loss or making a gain and you give up part of that loss or gain to them. Or you have created a product that can be used a million times and you recover a percentage of your fee from every use. DMing as more like an actor (so going to the theatre) or musician (attending a concert). Of course, the audience per session for those is orders of magnitude larger than a game session. However you view it, I suspect that the skill requirements and the scale constraints are commercially out of sync. A great DM will struggle to charge what they are worth because they are restricted to less than a dozen people per session. Bottom line it sounds like you can work in the range of $30 per hour running the game, returning you something like $15-20 per hour all told (after prep, self-promotion and admin).

In closing I want to suggest that when someone says their time is worth $100 an hour we should applaud that rather than knock it down. Everyone's time is worth at least $100 per hour if they are doing what they are passionate about and skillful with. In future, I hope people will work some comfortable minimum at that sort of rate, doing exactly this sort of thing (i.e. DMing).

Last edited by a moderator:

DM Howard

Explorer
If I had to make a living running games, I would probably come to hate gaming.

That's a very good point. I was hired by Games Workshop, to run their store in Kansas City, right out of college and the experience has soured my opinion of the company and destroyed my childhood love of the Warhammer brands forever.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
The biggest problem here: Lots of people would love to be paid to run games, very few would be willing to pay someone else enough to do it.

This is the heart of the issue - anyone can do it! You might decide you want experience - there are DM's with lots of experience who are bad at running games for strangers, and DM's with very little experience who can do a good job. There's no formal training available, and no certification. Most professional consultant/contractor type occupations require some kind of training or certification. Artists - well you can look at their work and see if it's a fit for what you're doing. For a DM for hire you're in a wilderness other than maybe some references from other clients.

Another general concern is that most of these independent jobs are being paid by businesses with an intent to generate a profit - IT consultant, Writer, Artist, Chef, Lawyer - they're not typically hobby jobs, they're business. I'm trying to think of an example where people pay someone to participate in their hobby time and I'm having a hard time doing it. Golf - people typically pay for training but they do not pay to have an expert just play a round with them. If you're into cars you pay people to fix and tune them but not to drive them typically at a hobby level. People pay for fitness trainers but not "workout buddies". Fishing guides maybe, but even that is a somewhat different role than DM for a group. With RPG's I pay people to design and publish them, not play them with me.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]My opinion is that any gaming group is like a band - a unique mix of personalities, preferences, and experiences. A DM that works for my group may not work for yours because you have a different band. How does it alter the group dynamic and experience if you have to pay someone to run for your group? So say five people are there to have a good time and one is there to get paid. I'm sure someone out there thinks it's a great idea and a time saver but I've probably been doing it too long to feel the same.

Also when did "DMing" become the stereotypical "playing the cleric" - something you need for the party but something no one wants to do? To the point some of us are looking to pay someone else to do it rather than do it ourselves?[/FONT]

Celebrim

Legend
Fishing guides maybe, but even that is a somewhat different role than DM for a group.

Not entirely. Fishing and hunting guides fall into that class of people who are either supporting the hobbies of 1%ers, or else are the sort of special treats that middle class persons may purchase every other year or so if they are passionate about something. The real difference isn't really the role, but the regularity with which the hobby is pursued. RPGers may want to meet weekly or biweekly. If you are paying a professional to assist you in that, that's like going white water rafting with a guide every weekend, or paying for good seats at a professional football game every weekend, or flying out to the beach every weekend.

No one says to the white water rafting guide, "You charged six people $480 to spend six hours on the river. That's a total rip off!!" No one says to the hunting guide, "Why are you charging me $1000 a day?" With some thought, most people would be able to figure out why the fees have to be so high.

The professional DM is in the same boat.

Also when did "DMing" become the stereotypical "playing the cleric" - something you need for the party but something no one wants to do? To the point some of us are looking to pay someone else to do it rather than do it ourselves?

Do you DM?

I love DMing, but even I have a lot of days when I feel just crushed by the responsibility and the work load and the feeling that there just isn't anything in it for me. If I could afford it, I'd love to pay someone to DM for me to a standard that I would be pleased with because being a player is awesome. Most of the enjoyment of DMing is vicarious. There is a satisfaction in doing the job well and seeing people enjoy your work. But it's not the same thrill as being in the story, overcoming problems by your wits, and so forth.

The truth is ultimately that not only do most people not want to do the job, many can't do the job. My impression is that there are always more players without a GM, than there are GMs without players. The limiting factor on the hobby is the availability of people willing to give away their time for free to entertain others, and who actually can entertain others.

I mean, heck, you can prove that just by perusing the EnWorld boards closely. Supposedly we are all passionate RPers. But try roughly tabulating what percentage of posters, when someone on the board ask for help creating content, are actually willing and able to help produce content for those posters. How many people actually start threads with, "Look at these wonderful things I'm willing to share." Some of that has moved out of the threads onto blogs, but it was never a really high percentage. GMing is a potlatch economy. You give away stuff with no expectation of return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I love DMing. I think I need to pay some players though! What would you guys charge me to play in my game?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That's a very good point. I was hired by Games Workshop, to run their store in Kansas City, right out of college and the experience has soured my opinion of the company and destroyed my childhood love of the Warhammer brands forever.

Now this is a story I want to hear. Don't want to hijack the thread though. PM?

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Do you DM?

Since 1979

I love DMing, but even I have a lot of days when I feel just crushed by the responsibility and the work load and the feeling that there just isn't anything in it for me. If I could afford it, I'd love to pay someone to DM for me to a standard that I would be pleased with because being a player is awesome. Most of the enjoyment of DMing is vicarious. There is a satisfaction in doing the job well and seeing people enjoy your work. But it's not the same thrill as being in the story, overcoming problems by your wits, and so forth.

Everybody burns out. Typically the answer is take some time off from doing it or change to another game or both. I don't think getting paid for it changes this at all. A paid DM may burn out faster as he is presumably running quite a few more games - you may play once a week, if he's doing this for a living I'd assume he's running at least 3-5 games a week. When it turns into "work" and someone is forcing themselves to run I find it usually doesn't go as well. I don't like it when I'm not paying for someone's time - I'm certainly not interested in paying for it.

The truth is ultimately that not only do most people not want to do the job, many can't do the job. My impression is that there are always more players without a GM, than there are GMs without players. The limiting factor on the hobby is the availability of people willing to give away their time for free to entertain others, and who actually can entertain others.

When you say "give away their time for free" - what do you mean? You're playing a game with your friends. When would it not be "free"? If you're (the general "you" not specifically you C) looking for some kind of monetary return for spending time with friends I'd think you are coming in with a problematic attitude about how this thing works. There's an opportunity cost for spending time doing one thing instead of something else and it's not just the DM that's paying that cost.

I do agree that the number of people willing to GM is a limiting factor in having a game. It's also a problem that's very simple to solve - when someone wants a game bad enough they will decide to run one. You do need friends willing to play - I'm assuming you have or can find a few people interested in playing but that's probably the next limiting factor. It may not be the most polished session ever but that's how it starts!

I mean, heck, you can prove that just by perusing the EnWorld boards closely. Supposedly we are all passionate RPers. But try roughly tabulating what percentage of posters, when someone on the board ask for help creating content, are actually willing and able to help produce content for those posters. How many people actually start threads with, "Look at these wonderful things I'm willing to share." Some of that has moved out of the threads onto blogs, but it was never a really high percentage. GMing is a potlatch economy. You give away stuff with no expectation of return.

It's a hobby - economy doesn't really enter into it. I don't know that helping people on forums has anything to do with actually running a game. That could come from DM's, players, or people who do not have an active game at the moment. People have been posting stuff online for free since the earliest days of the internet. With modern PDF publishing and things like DTRPG and the DM's Guild there are fairly easy ways for a DM (or anyone else) to try and make some money off of their creations and that has probably decreased the amount of free contributions out there but there is still stuff out there.

For me it comes down to "if it's not fun why are you doing it?". Talk to your group and work out a solution. I've done it many times over the years.

The flip side is "if you think it would be fun why aren't you doing it?" and if the answer to that one is "no one wants to GM" well, there's an easy answer to that. Two of my kids started running games for their friends in the past couple of years and -while I'm sure it's full of all those wonderful things teenage boys bring to their games- they and their friends are having a blast. People get caught up in thinking they're not going to be able to make it work when it's really not that difficult to get started - you just have to take the plunge.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I love DMing. I think I need to pay some players though! What would you guys charge me to play in my game?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

I was going to make a snarky reply, but it is an interesting question.

I pay a lot to have players in the sense that I am covering the cost of the most of the games I GM. Besides all of the rules and adventure material, there is software, terrain, minis, and the game is at my house. Not sure how to probably what the total cost is and how much of that is "necessary" versus I bought another map-making program because I have a mental illness that makes me impulsively buy map-making software. My wife, a non-gamer, has, however, commented on this. To her it seems strange to be in a hobby where one person does nearly all of the work and pays most of the cost.

I know that there are some RPG clubs where they have a point system that determines scheduling or even table fees. You only get points if you DM. If you never DM you either eventually can't play because those with points take all the available slots or you end up having to pay to play. This encourages rotating DMs and givens everyone a chance to play as well as DM. Seem like it would work best for one-offs rather than ongoing campaigns. Should work for AL games.

Celebrim

Legend

My guess is that the market would price players much cheaper than DMs... at least for most sorts of role-play you'd want to do with a player.

For the rest, we already have some idea what the market rate for having someone's attention and pretending some amount of enjoyment is.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads