Meet a Professional Game Master

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

attachment.php

Michael Tresca (MT): What's your gaming background?

Timm Woods (TW): I'd say my gaming background is simultaneously considered thorough to some, and sparse to others. I first discovered D&D when I was around 10 or 11 (when Magic the Gathering and Warcraft were fresh to me), and played with my siblings, but never really got to play all that much through high school and college. Being "inside" the hobby in terms of following it (I received Dungeon magazine and read every rulebook cover to cover from 2nd edition onward) while being "outside" the hobby in terms of playtime (I don't think I ever properly finished an adventure as a GM until I was in my 20s) had a weird result. I felt that it equipped me to see another side of the hobby: the "lost players". A large part of going into this business, for me, hinged on the idea that there are a great number of D&D enthusiasts who are still under-served by the volunteer GMing available amongst their friend circles and in their area, and that these individuals are happy to pay a professional as a way to reengage their lost hobby in a comfortable way.

MT: What are you working on currently?

TW: At the moment, I'm still working out the details of my dissertation and publication, although I do have a chapter available for viewing in the collection The Role-Playing Society (you can check out details here). That chapter covers a lot of the same ideas I have about gaming (albeit dated now).

MT: What's your dissertation about?

TW: My dissertation is about the potential importance of games to the learning process, particularly in the context of the language-learning and writing classroom. I'm detailing the ludic and pedagogical history of TRPGs (which, I argue, were historically almost always considered as educational tools FIRST and leisure activities SECOND), investigating potential uses for TRPGs as learning tools, and designing concepts for what a TRPG-based curriculum would look like.

MT: What gaming activities have you participated in?

TW: I've run university courses with game-based mechanics, including one first-year writing course in which I used The Quiet Year to encourage motivational roleplaying and in-character collaborative writing. In my after-school programs aimed at younger students, I use TRPGs like D&D as a tool for facilitating social interactions between students (some of whom are on the special needs spectrum). Even in the ordinary adult games I run, I use my classroom tactics as a way to keep the play flowing, and to bring new players quickly up to speed.

MT: How did you become a professional game master?

TW: I definitely stumbled into this career, in a sense, and it's primarily my background in education and English language that has allowed me to pursue it this way. I was originally looking for opportunities in the RPG industry when I started working retail at a large Manhattan comic book shop, basically selling the boxed sets and books for D&D 4e and Pathfinder and meeting people within the hobby. The most common response I got from customers regarding TRPGs was "huh, D&D, I always wanted to try that game," to the point where I was receiving that answer roughly once a day. It put into perspective how much of the hobby is transferred on a very personal level. For so many of us, the story is the same: we played their first RPG by some fluke or accident, at a young age, and now either play regularly or, more likely, currently have no point of access to the hobby. I started handing out business cards, then started working with a local gaming cafe, organizing and running D&D Encounters and my own games. Since early last summer, I've moved on to running my own freelance games and afterschool programs through a variety of Manhattan learning institutions like Winston Prep and the Quad Prep.

MT: What tips do you have for other aspiring professional GMs?

TW: A lot of what I feel a professional GM, and any GM, needs is less about running the game and more about setting the context for the game. I try to bring to the game-table what I bring to my classroom: a sense of fair play, of making sure everyone gets equal attention, of getting everyone comfortable in their roles. A GM is always part referee and part narrator, but a professional is also part host, part businessperson, part teacher, and part paid performer. You're creating an experience, and you're responsible for that experience in a sense that really transcends the game rules. If a player is a jerk in my game, it's at least partly my responsibility to handle the situation. In a sense, this is unlike a regular GM, although I argue that a big issue with TRPGs is that almost all GMs end up getting saddled with this role of "meta-facilitator" whether they realize it or not; essentially a human-resources role that GMs are not always prepared to tackle. Even just classic Dungeons & Dragons means so many different things to so many different people, and with a paying group you want to ensure that you run the game they had in mind (while still surprising them), which is not necessarily the game you learned to play. It's made me think of RPGs differently, and in some ways allowed me to more fully adopt the role of "showrunner"-- albeit with the knowledge that, like a showrunner, my "ratings" pay my rent. TL;DR, Recognize what makes your sessions fun, and focus and highlight those elements while clearly communicating with the group and basing the campaign around them.

You can follow Timm on Twitter.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
Not intended as a snark, genuinely curious on (financially) profiting from someone else's work without compensating them?

Is there any kind of licensing etc for video game places / tournaments and so on?

Does DM for hire fall under the OGL? What about using Curse of Strahd etc?

Playing D&D with your friends is one thing, charging people $ to play a game that a corporation made sounds sketchy.

*edit* I guess people with stuff on Dmsguild are making $ off game, although what if I was using your adventure and running it over and over for paying groups? Shouldn't you get a piece?

The way I see it, the game system is a vehicle. Uber drivers don't pay Toyota to license their cars, it wouldn't make sense for a DM to have to pay royalties to Wizards of the Coast. They've already paid for the car/Player's Handbook, and may even drive future sales if their players buy miniatures or other supplementary books.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. Workers don't pay the creators of their tools for the right to use them. They just buy the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Yeah. Workers don't pay the creators of their tools for the right to use them. They just buy the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

I know for sure you cannot take music without permission from the owner, and you have to pay for the privilege. I can't buy a blu ray and then charge people admission to play it at my theatre, why are RPG's different? Licensed for private non commercial home viewing and all that jazz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know for sure you cannot take music without permission from the owner, and you have to pay for the privilege. I can't buy a blu ray and then charge people admission to play it at my theatre, why are RPG's different?

You can't republish the Player's Handbook or Rihanna's latest song or manufacture Coca Cola and sell it. You can drink Coca Cola and you can wear Levis and you can play D&D.

Copyright laws prevent you republishing written text (or music or whatever). They don't prevent you using products you bought.

Similarly you can teach tennis using an Adidas racquet (do they make racquets?) or wearing Nike footwear and you can use Heinz Ketchup in your restaurant.

There would be an issue using a brand name in your business name - you can't say you're the Adidas Tennis Coach, for example. But you can use Adidas products when teaching tennis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrim

Legend
And I didn't realize I had to help finance a full time job. I was thinking of if he ran a game on a Saturday once a month.

Assuming you are my friends, and this is the only game I'm running, I might be willing to do that for the cost of (gluten free) pizza and a couple cans of Dr. Pepper. In other words, I'm doing the work then as a hobby for as much for my pleasure as yours.

But if I don't know you, and this is a 'gig', then I wouldn't do it for less than $500 a session.

Does the price go down if he already has the game books vs having to learn a new system?

No. The material costs here of game books, printer paper, graph paper, and so forth are trivial in the long run compared to the cost of my time. Seriously, running a game is a lot of work. Back when I was younger, I knew DMs putting 40 hours a week into their games in order to run weekly sessions (while working retail during the days and living with their parents). Games like that are priceless. You couldn't afford to pay for them.

What if I supply the module?

That's what, $9.95 from a used book store? If you supply the module and I get to keep it, then maybe that's a $10 discount.

How do we get discounts from the "going rate"?

If I were to run for you a pre-canned adventure out of a series of adventures that I select, using pregenerated characters of my selection, then we might get that cost down to say $250 a session. That's because I would have already done all the prep work, and been prepared to improvise out of my past experiences with the module which presumably (having run dozens of times) I'm intimately familiar with. And I can choose somewhat linear adventures that are straight forward to run, with the result that I can run this session just by printing out the materials and showing up.

My guess is that the professional DM in the article, for his two 'after school' engagements, is doing something similar. He's probably also limiting the session to just two hours, which might get his cost down to $120 for the session. Of course, if your revenue stream got high enough, then it might be worth it to donate time to school and bill it as charitable work for the tax break. I doubt however he's gotten that far into turning this into a career.

J.L. Duncan

First Post
I'm not sure where any snark would come from. Being a GM is a huge investment in time. There are certainly things that can shorten the prep work, but I'm not in H.S. anymore and prepping my own games (and balancing responsibilities) can be a challenge of time. I would pay just to see how this works and the dynamic it creates. It stands to reason there might be a few problems with the given format, but that's a bridge you cross when/if you get to it.

What I would like to see is activities directors (nursing homes, assisted living) whom usually preform music and play board games consider delve into RPGs as part of the service they offer. Some have mentioned being hired to preform similar services, so as a company morale booster and that's pretty interesting as well. ;)

AriochQ

Adventurer
Realistically, Professional GM is not going to make you rich. At best, you make a little money doing something you love. I view DM's guild the same way. If I figured out how much I make hourly based on the time I put into the products, it wouldn't break minimum wage. But, it is a creative outlet and lets me spend money guilt free on my gaming hobby.

I consider myself a solid DM with 38 years experience and I wouldn't feel comfortable charging to play at my table. Mostly because no matter how much time I spend on preparation, there are always things I know I could do better. Of course, if I was unemployed/underemployed I would probably have fewer qualms about charging for running a game.

Celebrim

Legend
So the end result of a Masters in Eng Lit is running some D&D games? That can't have been a cheap degree to get. Hopefully someone else paid.

Hopefully he took enough economics, or read enough economics in the process of running D&D games, that he has a viable model. My guess is that his current model is just about replacing his income that he would otherwise get from working retail - maybe $9.50 an hour - until he can actually get a 'real job'.

That implies he only needs to come up with like $400 a week to make it more worthwhile than a retail job or fast food. Of course, this isn't even a living wage in Manhattan, much less something that is going to dig him out of his $200,000 in student loans (because most Master's programs in non-science fields don't come with a stipend). Still, he probably can come up with the $400 a week in Manhattan no problem. Heck, I bet with four large gigs and two small gigs, he might be doing better than that.

I hope he's made a good study of the tax code. That might come as a big surprise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But if I don't know you, and this is a 'gig', then I wouldn't do it for less than $500 a session.

I suspect most of that 40 hour week would be spent working out how to convince me your service is worth as much as any other $500 I could spend on, say, watching 50 movies at the cinema or buying 100 role playing games. I suspect you would not succeed. You would have to be an actual celebrity or something for the novelty value.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads