Meet a Professional Game Master

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

I've written about the mythical professional game master before, but for the first time I got an opportunity to interview one at length. Meet Timothy James Woods (Timm) who currently has a Master's degree in English literature and is working towards his PhD in the same (with a focus on games and learning). 2017 is the first year that he will be relying on RPGs for his income full-time, having locked down four regular games and two afterschool programs.

attachment.php

Michael Tresca (MT): What's your gaming background?

Timm Woods (TW): I'd say my gaming background is simultaneously considered thorough to some, and sparse to others. I first discovered D&D when I was around 10 or 11 (when Magic the Gathering and Warcraft were fresh to me), and played with my siblings, but never really got to play all that much through high school and college. Being "inside" the hobby in terms of following it (I received Dungeon magazine and read every rulebook cover to cover from 2nd edition onward) while being "outside" the hobby in terms of playtime (I don't think I ever properly finished an adventure as a GM until I was in my 20s) had a weird result. I felt that it equipped me to see another side of the hobby: the "lost players". A large part of going into this business, for me, hinged on the idea that there are a great number of D&D enthusiasts who are still under-served by the volunteer GMing available amongst their friend circles and in their area, and that these individuals are happy to pay a professional as a way to reengage their lost hobby in a comfortable way.

MT: What are you working on currently?

TW: At the moment, I'm still working out the details of my dissertation and publication, although I do have a chapter available for viewing in the collection The Role-Playing Society (you can check out details here). That chapter covers a lot of the same ideas I have about gaming (albeit dated now).

MT: What's your dissertation about?

TW: My dissertation is about the potential importance of games to the learning process, particularly in the context of the language-learning and writing classroom. I'm detailing the ludic and pedagogical history of TRPGs (which, I argue, were historically almost always considered as educational tools FIRST and leisure activities SECOND), investigating potential uses for TRPGs as learning tools, and designing concepts for what a TRPG-based curriculum would look like.

MT: What gaming activities have you participated in?

TW: I've run university courses with game-based mechanics, including one first-year writing course in which I used The Quiet Year to encourage motivational roleplaying and in-character collaborative writing. In my after-school programs aimed at younger students, I use TRPGs like D&D as a tool for facilitating social interactions between students (some of whom are on the special needs spectrum). Even in the ordinary adult games I run, I use my classroom tactics as a way to keep the play flowing, and to bring new players quickly up to speed.

MT: How did you become a professional game master?

TW: I definitely stumbled into this career, in a sense, and it's primarily my background in education and English language that has allowed me to pursue it this way. I was originally looking for opportunities in the RPG industry when I started working retail at a large Manhattan comic book shop, basically selling the boxed sets and books for D&D 4e and Pathfinder and meeting people within the hobby. The most common response I got from customers regarding TRPGs was "huh, D&D, I always wanted to try that game," to the point where I was receiving that answer roughly once a day. It put into perspective how much of the hobby is transferred on a very personal level. For so many of us, the story is the same: we played their first RPG by some fluke or accident, at a young age, and now either play regularly or, more likely, currently have no point of access to the hobby. I started handing out business cards, then started working with a local gaming cafe, organizing and running D&D Encounters and my own games. Since early last summer, I've moved on to running my own freelance games and afterschool programs through a variety of Manhattan learning institutions like Winston Prep and the Quad Prep.

MT: What tips do you have for other aspiring professional GMs?

TW: A lot of what I feel a professional GM, and any GM, needs is less about running the game and more about setting the context for the game. I try to bring to the game-table what I bring to my classroom: a sense of fair play, of making sure everyone gets equal attention, of getting everyone comfortable in their roles. A GM is always part referee and part narrator, but a professional is also part host, part businessperson, part teacher, and part paid performer. You're creating an experience, and you're responsible for that experience in a sense that really transcends the game rules. If a player is a jerk in my game, it's at least partly my responsibility to handle the situation. In a sense, this is unlike a regular GM, although I argue that a big issue with TRPGs is that almost all GMs end up getting saddled with this role of "meta-facilitator" whether they realize it or not; essentially a human-resources role that GMs are not always prepared to tackle. Even just classic Dungeons & Dragons means so many different things to so many different people, and with a paying group you want to ensure that you run the game they had in mind (while still surprising them), which is not necessarily the game you learned to play. It's made me think of RPGs differently, and in some ways allowed me to more fully adopt the role of "showrunner"-- albeit with the knowledge that, like a showrunner, my "ratings" pay my rent. TL;DR, Recognize what makes your sessions fun, and focus and highlight those elements while clearly communicating with the group and basing the campaign around them.

You can follow Timm on Twitter.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Celebrim

Legend
I don't think getting paid for it changes this at all.

I don't know. Getting paid is a huge incentive to care. I can't think of very few things I've been paid to do that I voluntarily would have done had I not been being paid. Getting paid makes up for a lot of crap. I've done a lot of jobs in my time, especially in my 'bum' period. Even the crap jobs weren't necessarily less fun than the good jobs - they just paid less. Fast food is crap, but with a good team of people that sort of care about the work, you can have some good friendships - often with people you'd otherwise have nothing in common with. Digging ditches has the almost invaluable attribute of being out in the fresh air, in the sunlight, and keeping you trim.

When you say "give away their time for free" - what do you mean?

I mean it's a labor of love. It means you do it sometimes because you love the game, and sometimes because you are doing it for your friends.

Lots of life is like that. Being a parent doesn't pay you anything. It's all cost. You do it anyway.

What I mean by saying that is that I think it's good for the hobby to step back and consider the inequality of being a GM versus being a player, of being a producer versus being a consumer, as the most important attribute of the hobby. What DMs voluntarily do to create these worlds for their players - what DMs have done for me when I was a player - is basically priceless. No one could afford it if it had to be paid for. I've had a lot of fun running games, but the time when I was a player, that's a gift like gold in your hand.

You keep trying to turn this around and make it about me. And I'm trying to make a point about the community and potlatch economies, which RPGs certainly are as are many other hobbies.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I love DMing. I think I need to pay some players though! What would you guys charge me to play in my game?
Come now, that is disingenuous. The DM buys all the books and spends hours working up their campaign; even for bought adventures. The workload and responsibility is worlds apart from that of a player. Which is not to denigrate players, only to point out a fact about the effort involved. I travel a lot so I sometimes have difficulty finding players for F2F when I don't speak the local language. Hence I have migrated to Fantasy Grounds.

You're basically suggesting the actors should pay the audience, or the musician should pay the fans. It's facetious and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

clearstream

(He, Him)
It's a hobby - economy doesn't really enter into it.
I first started playing D&D through a commercial transaction: I bought the rule books. The guys at WotC are certainly doing this as a profession. The question here is does the door shut on the profession at the point of publishing rules and adventures? As a DM, until recently I have always crafted by own adventures (I just don't have time now!) For my players I think my adventures went down as well as any store bought ones. But what if those players weren't friends, but fans? People who enjoyed my DMing style and wanted me to do it as much as possible. Why shouldn't they be allowed to enable me to provide them more of what they want?

That is economic, right down the line.

GameOgre

Adventurer
The guy down the road demands $20 a hour to work at Taco Bell and tells everyone he is more than worth it. Taco Bell will not pay him that though so he sits at home not working. He likes to go online and talk about how much money he makes because online he doesn't have to prove anything and I really think just likes the attention.

Something tells me he might just play D&D now.

AriochQ

Adventurer
To be considered a 'professional' DM I would expect three things:

1. Comprehensive knowledge of the rules. This one is relatively easily achieved for anyone who has DM's regularly. Basically, a 'professional' DM shouldn't need to slow the game down looking up rules.

2. Acting ability. NPC's should come alive and have depth. This is harder to learn than #1. Many DM's have great competency, but a flat delivery. A professional should be bringing it up a notch.

3. A great story. I would expect a campaign with plotlines woven around the player characters. Simply running AL modules is not worth paying for. A 'professional' DM should be using the same skills as a good author to co-construct a memorable story with the players.

IMHO, very few DM's meet all three of those goals. Matt Mercer is an example of one who does, which accounts for his popularity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Come now, that is disingenuous. The DM buys all the books and spends hours working up their campaign; even for bought adventures. The workload and responsibility is worlds apart from that of a player. Which is not to denigrate players, only to point out a fact about the effort involved. I travel a lot so I sometimes have difficulty finding players for F2F when I don't speak the local language. Hence I have migrated to Fantasy Grounds.

You're basically suggesting the actors should pay the audience, or the musician should pay the fans. It's facetious and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Yes. It's a joke.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
To be considered a 'professional' DM I would expect three things:

1. Comprehensive knowledge of the rules. This one is relatively easily achieved for anyone who has DM's regularly. Basically, a 'professional' DM shouldn't need to slow the game down looking up rules.

Agreed.

2. Acting ability. NPC's should come alive and have depth. This is harder to learn than #1. Many DM's have great competency, but a flat delivery. A professional should be bringing it up a notch.

It would be nice to have, but I've had great sessions run by DMs who could not act. Also, it can get annoying when everyone tries to act everything out, whether you are a good actor or now. Similarly, I generally do not like having music effects and showing pictures. Like reading a book, the narration allows my to color the world with my imagination. I far prefer a GM who is an excellent narrator. Someone with a good command of language that can describe something in an evocative way on the fly, not just when reading from a callout-box in the adventure. Matt Mercer is great because he can do both. Chris Perkins is much less an actor and isn't as evocative, but he runs an excellent game. Jerry Holkins is a fun DM. Doesn't voice act, but is good with language and very quick on his feet. Good improve skills. Three very different DMs, all of whom I would pay to play in a game with, including the flight to the location. Well, that is, if I could afford to.

3. A great story. I would expect a campaign with plotlines woven around the player characters. Simply running AL modules is not worth paying for. A 'professional' DM should be using the same skills as a good author to co-construct a memorable story with the players.

Story should be good, but there are some great published adventures. Also, when I think of paying a DM, I'm not thinking of a campaign. I'm thinking I would pay for the occasional one shot. I certainly do not expect the one-shot to be a bespoke adventure—not at the rate I'd be able to pay. Actually the opposite. You are running X adventure. I've not played that. Sounds fun. DM lets me select from a number of NPCs that "fit" that adventure and we are off and running with almost no prep time on my part. If you are making a long-term commitment to pay a DM for running a campaign, then yes. Some tailoring is required. But I expect you would have to make a large financial commitment to make that worth the time of a DM who expects to make a decent living.

IMHO, very few DM's meet all three of those goals. Matt Mercer is an example of one who does, which accounts for his popularity.

True with much in life. That said, there are many excellent DMs out there that are not celebrities. I support a number of TTRPG creators on Patreon and who I'm seeing is that some of them are transferring their Youtube/blog popularity in to running games for people. Most are rewards for higher-tier patrons, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them find a way to make at least a bit of supplemental income on running games. If I were in DM Scotty's neck of the woods, I would certainly pay to play in a live game of his.

There are lots of ways to have fun with DnD and if there is truly a market for DMs to run games for money, then there will be different levels and different styles. Serious, high-atmosphere games and DMs who excel at that. Slapstick games for DMs who are great with that. Heavy role-play and acting DMs. DMs who excel and creating interesting, challenging, complex tactical situations and able to run them smoothly.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If professional DMing DOES every take off, one downside could be that it will start to be seen as a professional activity. The perceived bar for entry would be raised and new players will become even more intimidated to give it a try. I mean, players who learn about the game through watching or listening to YouTube streams and podcasts may have unrealistic expectations of their non-professional neighborhood DM.

Could the rise of professional DMs actually lead to FEWER DMs in the community?

Celebrim

Legend
Could the rise of professional DMs actually lead to FEWER DMs in the community?

Only if you think professional musicians lead to fewer musicians, or professional painters lead to fewer people wanting to paint.

Now I want to be the Bob Ross of Dming.

"We're gonna make some big decisions in our little world. Decide where your little footy hills live. We need lots of happy little goblins. Put some here. Put some there. Let's just level up this little rascal here, ha! Happy as we can be."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads