• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee Weapons sorted by effectiveness?

cavetroll

Explorer
I haven't done ranged weapons yet but can you look through this generic weapon list and
a) does anything stand out as egregiously missing, like some fav melee weapon you like?
b) does anything look like it has too much damage (or too little) compared to another weapon in the list.

(Updated 26-Feb)
1645902365678.png

Attachments

• 1645686726571.png
    1645686726571.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 1645686781843.png
    1645686781843.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 1645882011176.png
    1645882011176.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Why are the short sword and scimitar off-hand weapons? There's little to no historical or practical support for that.

The weights are horribly wrong. I own over 30 battle-ready medieval weapons, and let me assure you those weights are far too heavy. For example, my war hammer weighs in at just over 2.5 pounds. I have several bastard swords, and none are five pounds; neither is my Del Tin Dopplehander. Ironically, your rapier is far too light.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the longsword was almost always used 2 handed and larger than the bastard sword which was the mid range between the standard one handed arming sword and the longsword.
I suspect your longsword is the standard one handed double edged sword and it's more of a naming issue.
To be honest the list itself is fine, its whether you go with traditional D&D/fantasy weapon stereotypes or more realistic ones.
As JDSmith has alluded to real warhamners aren't the square clubs of fantasy art but had small heads to drive all the force to one point as anti heavy armour weapons so weren't that heavy themselves but if you just like the fighting sledgehammer image the weight is fine.
Horses for courses really.

cavetroll

Explorer
Why are the short sword and scimitar off-hand weapons? There's little to no historical or practical support for that.

The weights are horribly wrong. I own over 30 battle-ready medieval weapons, and let me assure you those weights are far too heavy. For example, my war hammer weighs in at just over 2.5 pounds. I have several bastard swords, and none are five pounds; neither is my Del Tin Dopplehander. Ironically, your rapier is far too light.
Hmm for scimitar I guess I was thinking Drizzt but thats a little too DnD, I can take it off. So just dagger and axe from my googling.

Alright great, I'll work on those weights thanks!

cavetroll

Explorer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the longsword was almost always used 2 handed and larger than the bastard sword which was the mid range between the standard one handed arming sword and the longsword.
I suspect your longsword is the standard one handed double edged sword and it's more of a naming issue.
I think I used this google result which suggested that the bastard sword was longer/heavier.

Primarily I want to distinguish between a sword which can be used one-handed vs a sword which really needs to be used two-handed to fight a serious melee with.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
I think I used this google result which suggested that the bastard sword was longer/heavier.

Primarily I want to distinguish between a sword which can be used one-handed vs a sword which really needs to be used two-handed to fight a serious melee with.
I'm happy to be wrong. I know what a longsword is and it had a long hilt so it could be used with two hands held apart for twisty-wrist-fancy-sword-action (yes that is the technical term thank you very much) it's where the bastard sword fit in I couldn't remember.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I haven't done ranged weapons yet but can you look through this generic weapon list and
a) does anything stand out as egregiously missing, like some fav melee weapon you like?
b) does anything look like it has too much damage (or too little) compared to another weapon in the list.
View attachment 152359
Well clearly what has been missing from 5e are these. And this list doesn't even include the Glaive Guisarme!
1645765389799.png

cavetroll

Explorer
Oh the brandistock, my go to weapon in Chivalry Medieval Warfare (old version). I mean thats a lot of polearms, I think the tricky part is distinguishing them so that each bring something different to the table, and are valid choices (beyond fluff of what it looks like).

Where did you get that nice picture from?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads