[Merged]3.5e Official DMG PrC List and Psion's "next trick" thread

Gez

First Post
The problem is, do Greyhawk has specific prestige classes ? If I understand well, Greyhawk is managed by the RPGA, which don't seems to be a producer of gaming material. Except maybe monsters met in adventures.

One could argue that Fist of Hextor or Temple Raider of Olidammara are Greyhawk PrCs, but they are intended to be generic.

But they could have come up with a Scarlet Brother PrC...

Last edited:

Technik4

First Post
To recap:

Arcane Archer: Ftr/Wiz multiclass, emphasis: archery

Arcane Trickster: Rog/Wiz multiclass

Archmage: Apex of Arcane

Assasin: Apex of Evil Rogue

Blackguard: Anti-Paladin

Dragon Disciple: Dragon Fetishist

Duelist: Apex of Dex-based Fighters, emphasis: Piercing

Dwarven Defender: Dwarf Staunchity, and high DR/-!

Eldritch Knight: Ftr/Wiz multiclass, emphasis: melee

Heirophant: Apex of Divine

Horizon Walker:???

Loremaster: Apex of Librarians, emphasis: Divinations

Mystic Theurge: Clr/Wiz multiclass

Red Wizard: Apex of Evokers, emphasis: Spell Power

Shadowdancer: Shadow Fetishist

Thaumaturgist: Apex of Summoners, emphasis: Divine

What did I want to see?

Nimbly Bimbly: Apex of Illusions, emphasis: Gnomes

Thief-Arcobat: Apex of Dexterity, emphasis: Tumbling

Incantrix: Apex of Broken-ness, emphasis: Munchkin Metamagic

A prc designed for a bard. A prc designed for a paladin. A prc designed for barbarians. A prc designed for druids.

Oh well,, still looking forward to these quite a bit!

Technik

William Ronald

Explorer
Gez:

There are a few PrC classes that are Greyhawk specific, such as the Temple Thieves of Olidhimarra or the Knight-Defender of the Great Kingdom but they are not a traditional part of the setting.
(The Red Wizard and Archmage have a history. The term archmage was used in 1st edition and it is nice to see it being officially made a PrC.) I think a Scarlet Brotherhood PrC would have been a great idea. It would have a lot of history behind it. So would such things as the Knights of the Watch, Knights of the Holy Shielding, and a few others as well.

However, as Greyhawk seems to have very little support outside the RPGA, maybe it would make sense to make FR the default setting. It seems to be so the de facto default setting so it might be best to make FR the de jure default setting. (Sorry for the legalese.)

I think the Red Wizard is a good PrC to show how something can be designed to fit a specific concept in a campaign (wizards who strongly focus on power and a single school.)

MulhorandSage

First Post
I hate to admit it, but the Mystic Theurge has really sapped my enthusiasm for 3.5.

I know one should not judge something on its pieces, but it's going to be hard to avoid tedious balance arguments when the core classes are broken. Seeing the arcane trickster on the list doesn't encourage me either.

Scott Bennie

Gez said:
Olive, yep. The Red Wizard is here to illustrate this kind of PrC.

The Eldritch Knight is the revised Spellsword.

So, the only new PrC (those that aren't (revised) reprints from elsewhere) are the Horizon Walker, Mystic Theurge, and Thaumaturgist.

Arcane Trickster, Dragon Disciple and Eldritch Knight come from Tome & Blood.

Duelist comes from Sword & Fist.

Archmage, Hierophant, and Red Wizard come from the FRCS.

Just too add a tiny nitpick. The "Duelist" was originally published in Dragon 275 and then later included in Sword and Fist.

-Zarrock

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My take,

While I'm not the biggest fan of Mystic Theurge, I do think the others included here are good. (Though I wish they hadn't put in Red Wizard of Thay.) I was hoping the Eldritch Warrior was from BoEM II, but oh well. I have no problem with the rest. (While it's not my favorite class, Arcane Trickster works well in my campaigns since I'm planning to make the requirements either gnome or halfling.)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
William Ronald said:
However, as Greyhawk seems to have very little support outside the RPGA, maybe it would make sense to make FR the default setting. It seems to be so the de facto default setting so it might be best to make FR the de jure default setting. (Sorry for the legalese.)

I think the Red Wizard is a good PrC to show how something can be designed to fit a specific concept in a campaign (wizards who strongly focus on power and a single school.)

I don't think so. FR isn't as popular as it use to be. This Red Wizard might be more generic than FR fans would like. Remember SKRs little ditty on FR not being 'crunchy' enough for the Powers-That-Be?

Maybe the PTB have decided that FR is going to have more crunch, less fluff. Or maybe they're going to generalize FR more like they've done with Greyhawk. Players want portablity.

Before the 3E Core Rulebooks came out, I would have never considered using the Greyhawk Gods in my homebrew world. Now, they're built for portability and I use several of them.

Imagine Mystra, Bane, Cyric, and the rest becoming 'generic gods' in the PHB. Do FR fans REALLY want to risk having what happened to Greyhawk, happen to the Realms.

Think about it!

KF72

Larry Fitz

First Post
Have to agree with Nightfall, for the most part they look ok, but Mystic Theurge is IMC, right out. if you want to do both, then do both poorly, it's silly to have a class that does both well as if the abiilty comes from a big pool of magic that you just call different things, yuck...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Larry Fitz said:
Have to agree with Nightfall, for the most part they look ok, but Mystic Theurge is IMC, right out. if you want to do both, then do both poorly, it's silly to have a class that does both well as if the abiilty comes from a big pool of magic that you just call different things, yuck...

Larry, I tend to adjust a little, increase the requirements and also give it NO BAB. (Or at least maybe short it to a five level class.)

Remove ads