[Merged]3.5e Official DMG PrC List and Psion's "next trick" thread

Gez

First Post
Nightfall said:
Larry, I tend to adjust a little, increase the requirements and also give it NO BAB. (Or at least maybe short it to a five level class.)

The class is unbalanced (underpowered) at the first levels, then it becomes unbalanced (overpowered) at the last ones. Increasing the requirements wouldn't fix that. Giving it no BAB would break the rules (that was what bugged me in the SaSp Survivor class as well). My fix is to remove their "+1 there and +1 there" at levels 4 & 8, so that they stay behind their single-classed peers.

Marshall

First Post
Technik4 said:
To recap:
A prc designed for a bard. A prc designed for a paladin. A prc designed for barbarians. A prc designed for druids.

Oh well,, still looking forward to these quite a bit!

Technik

Its hard to design a PrC for classes that are already PrCs...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Gez said:

The class is unbalanced (underpowered) at the first levels, then it becomes unbalanced (overpowered) at the last ones. Increasing the requirements wouldn't fix that. Giving it no BAB would break the rules (that was what bugged me in the SaSp Survivor class as well). My fix is to remove their "+1 there and +1 there" at levels 4 & 8, so that they stay behind their single-classed peers.

Take that under advisement Gez.

Hygric

First Post
The list looks quite interesting.

Two things annoy me, one semi-serious, one not at all serious:

Red Wizard. If this is in there to give an example of a campaign specific prestige class, it should have been a Greyhawk class (such as the ones mentioned already). Isn't that sort of the whole point of having a default setting?

Archmage. I remember back when you had to be able to cast a 9th level spell before you were called an archmage. These young whipper snapper apprentices of today just have no idea about what it means to be an archmage! Seventh level spells indeed! :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
Darn. I was sure the Cavalier prestige class would be there. :(

Someone mentioned the reason for having the Red Wizards (strongly associated with Forgotten Realms) is to exhibit campaign-specific prestige class, but I have to ask, why not just include prestige classes specific to Greyhawk? Is Wizards going to abandon/retire Greyhawk as the default setting for the core rules and replace it with Forgotten Realms? If it's going to be give FR some spotlight, should it also include Dragonlance campaign-specific prestige class also (Campaign Setting Book due out in August of 2003)?

fba827

Adventurer
I think it could be said that any of the default PrCs in the DMG that are not specified as campaign specific are in fact for Greyhawk, the default world (since they are default PrCs).

It takes some stretching, but it isn't an entirely unplausible possibility.

Technik4

First Post
Marshall:

Yes and no. While there have been some very interesting prcs for the druid (see MotW) and barbarian (MotW) there has been very little for the bard (virtuoso in S&S) and nearly none that really fits a paladin.

All of those classes mentioned are core classes within the rules, and there is no good reason there hasnt been more prcs devoted to them. If you were going to say because they have a defined set of abilities that without gaining they dont seem so intrinsicaly archetypical, I will mention that monks have had many many more prcs and are essentially in the same boat (see S&F, OA).

I think the frenzied beserker or the forsaker would have made good barbarian prcs for the new DMG, as would shifter and animal lord for druid. But WotC consistently evades making bard and paladin prcs. Go figure.

Technik

PS- I know that in older editions of the game the bard was essentially the first prc and that the paladin has a very specific role as it is, but there is still no reason we couldnt see some prcs in the DMG for them.

I think the RW is there to show a balanced Spell Power.

I think the frenzied beserker or the forsaker would have made good barbarian prcs for the new DMG, as would shifter and animal lord for druid. But WotC consistently evades making bard and paladin prcs. Go figure.
Frenzied Berserker? Overpowered. Forsaker, Shifter? Broken (as in poor design, not necessarily overpowered.)

Destil

Explorer
While I won't mention balance of the Mystic Thurge, I will mention that one of the game designers mentioned that you should be looking at it as a compairson to the "(revised) arcane trickster". Most likely every one of these classes was modified at least a little for more uniform balance...

Last edited:

Remove ads