• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metamagic help

Arcanus

First Post
I really never worried about the metamagic feats that much.
I thought I knew how they worked and someone asked me about them and I drew a blank. Couldn't remember how to rule the spells.

If you are a sorcerer how many spells and at what levels are used to make them.
Lets use shocking grasp and you use a metamagic feat to maximize it, do you burn up the 1st level slot and the higher spell slot used to metamagic it? Or just the higher slot?

What happens if you want to max it and empower it and silent it?
How long would it take to cast it and what spell level slots do you use up? If you silent it first, is it considered a 2nd level spell when you add another metamagic feat to it or is it still a 1st level spell when you need to determine at what level your next metamagic feat to it uses more spell levels?

Crothian

First Post
You only use the final spell level for the spell. A maximized Shocking Grasp is 4th level (1 + 3).

With multiple metamagics you add them all up.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Arcanus said:
If you are a sorcerer how many spells and at what levels are used to make them.
Lets use shocking grasp and you use a metamagic feat to maximize it, do you burn up the 1st level slot and the higher spell slot used to metamagic it? Or just the higher slot?
You use the higher level slot instead of the 1st level slot, not both.

What happens if you want to max it and empower it and silent it? How long would it take to cast it and what spell level slots do you use up? If you silent it first, is it considered a 2nd level spell when you add another metamagic feat to it or is it still a 1st level spell when you need to determine at what level your next metamagic feat to it uses more spell levels?
Add up the +levels. Max is +3, Empower is +2, and Silent is +1, so the total is +6. So you use a 7th level slot for Shocking Grasp. Since it is a 1 action spell, it takes a full round action to add metamagic. So you can cast the spell in the same round, but you get no MEA/move, except for a 5 foot step.

shilsen

Adventurer
Arcanus said:
How long would it take to cast it and what spell level slots do you use up?

It takes a sorceror a full-round action to cast a metamagic spell. That does not change whether one or more metamagic feats have been added to the spell, i.e. whether it is a empowered spell, a maximized empowered spell, or a triple-empowered spell.

Arcanus

First Post
Okay I think what you guys said has cleared it up for me.

I had hosed myself on some spell slots in the past by using up 2 slots for metamagic spells instead of the combined total like you mentioned above.

If I have haste cast already, I still get a partial action that round correct? Could I (or do I have to) take the partial action before the casting of the metamagic spell?

The spell takes effect when exactly? At the end of the round of my casting?
or
at the beginning of my next round?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Arcanus said:
If I have haste cast already, I still get a partial action that round correct?
Correct, either before or after your regular action.

Could I (or do I have to) take the partial action before the casting of the metamagic spell?
Yes you may, but you do not have to. You could cast your metamagiced Shocking Grasp first, which takes a full round action, then take your partial action.

The spell takes effect when exactly? At the end of the round of my casting?
It takes effect at the end of the regular rounds action on your turn. Then you may take your partial action unless you took it before the regular round.

or at the beginning of my next round?
No. A metamagiced 1 action spell cast by a sorcerer/bard takes effect on his turn, but it takes a full round action instead of a standard action. If the metamagiced spell has a casting time of 1 round, then you cast for the whole round and it takes effect just before your next turn. If you metamagic this spell, then you must spend the entire round casting, plus another full round action.

Arcanus

First Post
okay I know what I was thinking.

I think I messed it all up when i was reading about the 1 round casting time spells. Thats why I couldn't get the rules to make any sense to me.

I was confusing the different casting time spells with metamagic feats.

Remove ads