• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis (The World in Waiting) - Chapter One

D20Dazza

Explorer
Turning back to Ru Ghost taps his finger to his temple "Yes I remember something of this key." he looks around the group to make sure he has everyone's attention and then continues in a rich, deep voice " In the times before Metropolis' leaders fell from grace and became a defunct and outmoded piece of society, there were often occassions where they were called upon to make public speechs to praise heroes that had done great things for the people of the city.

The truely great heroes were awarded the Key to the City, an ornament that was supposed to give him a sound welcome anywhere he went. Some others thought differently.

One of the last recipiants, an up-and-coming wizard by the name of Bylarn, was said to have related a tale about journeying into the bowels of the city with other Key recipiants, visiting a large chamber where the wealth of the city was stored, and then being initated into a secret society. Unfortunately Bylarn was also a notoious drunkard, and it was into his second week of celebrating his award that his liver failed and he died. "
Ghost's voice falls silent but his words seem to echo ominiously around the great chamber.

jkason

First Post
Ru looks up from examining the coin at Ghost's tale, and hits on something.

"Other recipients? Then ... there's more than one Key? Or is it this 'marking' the little girl was talking about?"

And how the hells did the Killi-Kelli-Hek wind up owning a reward for service to the city?

Phoenix

First Post
Fenris said:
Phoenix Only
[sblock] I'll pocket the ring (small and easy to conceal), toss the sword to Ba'aktar with a "here you go Bruno". Now there was no coin listed, did he have any? I would offer any he had to Vulgrath, if he had none. I will offer the sword to Vulgrath instead. [/sblock]

Jovik:
[sblock]No coins. When you offer the sword to Vulgrath he waves it away.[/sblock]

Bront

The man with the probe
"You mean this?" Taran says as he pulls out his own coin.

"I'm guessing it was Hentre we encountered earlier Ghost, with the key and the voice."

D20Dazza

Explorer
"But then why did he aid us? Just to get to Vulgrath? Seems easier ways to get at the old man than the way he did" Ghost says to Taran as he jabs a thumb towards the bloody mess.

Bront

The man with the probe
"He was part of the raiding party though, right? He had it in for the yellow robes as well." Taran says.

Phoenix

First Post
D20Dazza said:
"But then why did he aid us? Just to get to Vulgrath? Seems easier ways to get at the old man than the way he did" Ghost says to Taran as he jabs a thumb towards the bloody mess.

There is a spattering of blood as Hentre spits a retort to the group, "Vulgraf, he wanted him dead. Hess Ne-el Il'ithuk wants all of you dead."

Vulgrath steps forward and mutter, "I cannot take anymore of his suffering," before his arm changes into a wickedly long barb, extending to pierce Hentre through the brain.

"We need to make a decision gentlemen. I understand that all of us are here for different reasons, but our questions and spectulation will not bear fruit down here. I will help however I can, but I think that you will know more of the situation than I."

"What do we do now?"

Jovik (OOC):
[sblock]I dunno if you have leveled yet or not, but go ahead.[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Looking at the bloody mess that was Hentre and shaking his head, Ru says "If Hentre's to be believed, the Yellow Robes have a vested interest in the little girl. They also know--or can point us to--both her soul and any more Keys, I imagine.

"How about this, then: Zimmerman's announced this party, I assume? If the Yellow Robes want Stephanie back, that's the most likely place for them to strike. I say we clean up and all go to the soiree. If the Yellow Robes show up, we'll be there to protect the girl, and hopefully capture one to ... persuade to give us information. If they don't show up, we head back down here and look as best we can."

Here, Ru cracks a smile.

"Either way, we'll have ourselves a little fun before we face the end of the world, yes?"

Fenris

Adventurer
jkason said:
Looking at the bloody mess that was Hentre and shaking his head, Ru says "If Hentre's to be believed, the Yellow Robes have a vested interest in the little girl. They also know--or can point us to--both her soul and any more Keys, I imagine.

"How about this, then: Zimmerman's announced this party, I assume? If the Yellow Robes want Stephanie back, that's the most likely place for them to strike. I say we clean up and all go to the soiree. If the Yellow Robes show up, we'll be there to protect the girl, and hopefully capture one to ... persuade to give us information. If they don't show up, we head back down here and look as best we can."

Here, Ru cracks a smile.

"Either way, we'll have ourselves a little fun before we face the end of the world, yes?"

The Jackal stands and says "Well, seems like Bubba here can think after all. Sounds like a grand plan lets go"
Phoenix only:
[sblock] The Jackal will quietley put the sword away in a concealed place before he speaks. I was having a heard time rationalizing why Jovik would attend this party. I must have typed four of five posts where he wouldn't go. No clothes, wouldn't fit in. then I thought. Hey, what a great place to pick some pockets! I have been way too noble of late. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads