• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis (The World in Waiting) - Chapter One

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ghost Hound Elf Bard

"Zimmerman is embroiled in this up to his neck, I'm sure of it" the pale elf growls as he wipes a tear from his cheek "and oh what a tale, the last great tale"

The elegant albino turns to Taran "I still think seeing Zimmerman will answer some questions. I was the least affective of our group in the Cultists lair and perhaps my talents can be better brought to bear in a more inviting setting." the elf finishes with a graceful bow and a sad smile.

Ghost suddenly turns on Ru "You I need to talk to before I go" the elf says pointing his long, bony white finger at the man "you seem to know a little too much about my ahhh family circumstances and I aim to find out why."

Bront:
[sblock]Bront I think you missed a post of Jkason's - and it's a question I'd like to here an answer to ;)[/sblock]

Festy_Dog

First Post
Phoenix said:
"Da keyw rarks keakle, who has helg it. Dat ray tha city knows who is alloged inta the heark."

The statement seemed to sail right over Ba'aktar, and it took a few minutes (not including the time he had to spend listening to Wasp) for him to understand Stephanie's words.

"They key marks people who has held it. That way the City knows who is allowed into the heart..." he says, decripting the message, "So... fixing what is wrong with the city will take us into the heart of it?"

It would seem the City itself had contracted him for the job. Assumably, the City would be a generous employer when one's services were called on. He remembered that Ru had mentioned looking for a Key, was this it? Ghost was currently seeking Ru's attention however, so Ba'aktar was going to wait. With a metallic ting he flicked the coin into the air with his thumb, it spun rapidly then fell into his open palm. He repeated the process, finding some sort of amusement in it.

"Stephanie's soul is important, so I reckon the Robes' leader has it on or near him. That and we need to figure out where the City's heart is," he said, then flicks the coin into the air once more.

With little but talking to do at the moment, Ba'aktar's eyes drift toward Hentre and whatever shiny tinkets the small fellow might have on his person.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Zimmerman might be of use. Did you not say that he... purchased Stephanie?"

Taran shudders at the thought, but child traders might have a unique and useful insight into the problem at hand, as well as knowing more of Stephanie's origins.

OOC: Nope, didn't miss it

jkason

First Post
"The Key?" Ru's ears perk up, and he notes the coin. But she said the Key marked its holders. Perhaps this isn't the Key at all, but its marker? Damn mysteries, much more troublesome than an easy collection run.

"We still need to know if Hentre can describe this leader; a name's little use unless you can get someone to admit to it," he adds, glancing briefly at Jackal. Then Ghost beckons, and he closes on the elf.

"I know far less than you probably think I do, Ghost. I got lost in the sewers looking for you to quiz you on The Key. Some disturbingly friendly undead enlisted me to find you, called you their missing child. And, since I was looking for you anyway, I didn't see the harm.

"Mind you, they wanted me to take you back to them, plus I was meant to face 'The Deathbringer,' who I assume is your friend with the head trophies. 'Course, I only promised them to try to be helpful with whatever trouble you were in, which I'd say I've done. If they took that to mean I was going to be duking it out with a half-orc and dragging an unwilling elf to them, well ..."
he shrugs and grins mischieviously.

"I have a code. I always live up to my promises. Not my fault if folks aren't careful enough to listen to what exactly it is I'm promising."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Ba'aktar chuckles and grins amiably.

"Deathbringer. Nice," he says, and flicks the coin in Ru's direction, "Have a look if you want."

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix Only

[sblock] Well Wasp's story should have entralled them pretty well, and I have heard it before. The coin and key business should provide further distraction. I think the Jackal could have gotten in a few quick rumages. Push come to shove and he is noticed he will offer his finds up to Vulgrath, pocketing a small cut of course.

He he he, I know who the real Deathbringer is ;)

BTW Thanks for running a pair of truly enjoyable games. I look forward to these threads the most.
[/sblock]

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Well, the Key, the Key to the City eh" Ghost ponders and is about to answer Ru when Taran's question distracts him, turning his head he quickly answers the halfling "Yeah, he purchased his daughter, a fad of the elite" the elf says disdain dripping from every word "Hearing the news Wasp just delivered makes me understand why they've been purchasing kids"

Phoenix:
[sblock]bardic knowledge on the Key to the City[/sblock]

Phoenix

First Post
D20Dazza said:
"Well, the Key, the Key to the City eh" Ghost ponders and is about to answer Ru when Taran's question distracts him, turning his head he quickly answers the halfling "Yeah, he purchased his daughter, a fad of the elite" the elf says disdain dripping from every word "Hearing the news Wasp just delivered makes me understand why they've been purchasing kids"

Phoenix:
[sblock]bardic knowledge on the Key to the City[/sblock]

Ghost:
[sblock]Badic Knowledge check (DC vaiable) +25 - Obscure Success

The Key to the City
In the times before Metropolis' leaders fell from grace and became a defunct and outmoded piece of society, there were often occassions where they were called upon to make public speechs to praise heroes that had done great things for the people of the city.
The truely great heroes were awarded the Key to the City, an ornament that was supposed to give him a sound welcome anywhere he went. Some others thought differently.
One of the last recipiants, an up-and-coming wizard by the name of Bylarn, was said to have related a tale about journeying into the bowels of the city with other Key recipiants, visiting a large chamber where the wealth of the city was stored, and initated into a secret society. Unfortunately Bylarn was also a notoious drunkard, and it was into his second week of celebrating his award that his liver failed and he died.[/sblock]

Jovik:
[sblock]Ba'aktar was pretty quick, I'll give you the chance to pocket one thing before you can offer to share the rest. You and Ba'akta can sort it out, it's all in the RG thead.[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
Phoenix Only
[sblock] I'll pocket the ring (small and easy to conceal), toss the sword to Ba'aktar with a "here you go Bruno". Now there was no coin listed, did he have any? I would offer any he had to Vulgrath, if he had none. I will offer the sword to Vulgrath instead. [/sblock]

Remove ads