• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metropolis - The World in Waiting (Chapter Two)

Phoenix

First Post
hafrogman said:
Hmmm. . . a dwarven brothel. I wonder if they have any gnomes. . . . well, no matter, perhaps Nikolai likes a larger woman *suggestive eyebrow waggle*

Knowledge (local I suppose) +10 to see if he's ever heard of this Society for Knowledge

You can blame Bront for that....it was his favourite....

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
If all Chapter One players would like to post any OOC stuff here as well, go beserk!

Oh...and the Dwarven Brothel had to be used...
So you got something from Ranger Rick then... ;)

Phoenix

First Post
jkason said:
Is it bad that I was giggling horribly when my character found himself face to face with a potential ass kicking? ;)

jason

At least you didn't start the game by being assaulted by a wave of fecal matter...

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
BTW, I take it we're not combining IG threads yet?

Nope, we'll finish the first chapter and i'll give out XP to everyone, then I'll pass across to Chapter Two where the others may or may not be close to your storyline....who knows?

Fenris

Adventurer
So what languages are spoken in Metropolis? Common, or several dialects? Racial languages exist? Any others that I should know about to select?

hafrogman

Adventurer
Fenris said:
So what languages are spoken in Metropolis? Common, or several dialects? Racial languages exist? Any others that I should know about to select?

When I asked about languages, he just said, "Whatever you like will be fine". So I just went with D&D standard language set up. However, it seems like half this setting is created by the players, so it might be interesting to set up a language system.

I was thinking something along these lines. . .

one common tongue. Basically, most citizens speak the same language, but given the size of the city, dialects and accents can vary to such a degree as to make communication nearly impossible.

this leads to a trader tongue, a bastardized and simplified form of the above used to combat linguistic drift in the name of free commerce.

Then the roving gangs and street people probably speak a further corrupted version full of slang, slurred speech and other such anomalies. Thus we get a street cant.

The sewer people with their own lives and kingdoms running rampant throughout the muck of the 'up world' speak gutterspeak, a language specially designed to avoid opening the mouth as much as possible. Lots of grunts and gesticulation.

Other languages that might be around. . .

A sign language for the deaf and mute. . . or those who do not wish to be overheard.

Something akin to draconic in the core game, a common language to arcanists.

Below the city, even beneath the sewers, lie ruins of an ancient city that the metropolis is built upon the ruins of. Here an ancient language can be found in written form only, spoken only by scholars who take guesses at how to pronounce it.

Any thoughts? Suggestions for more languges? Insults flung because my ideas are crap?

Remove ads