Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
Hey Meepo & Thanee!

MeepoDM said:
What do you think of having the Fighter's ability of +1/+1 being scalable? Maybe something as minor as level 1-10 (as it is now) and 11-20 (+2/+2)? Just to keep him from falling behind the damage scale so rapidly.

I thought about giving Fighters something more, but couldn't decide what so left it as it is, figuring that carrying the biggest darn magic sword and heaviest armour would pick up the slack. And if I start adding stuff at different levels before you know it there'll be feats and prestige classes and level dependent benefits and who knows where it will end? :)

That said, I could go for +1 attack and +1 damage every five levels for the Fighter. That would work, and give enough of kick for the Fighter types without creating too much of an arms race with the other classes.

MeepoDM said:
Also, how exactly does the Magic attack bonus = MIND bonus + Level rule work? I understand the concept, but in regular D&D this is usually automatic with the monster having the spell cast on him rolling a Saving Throw. Is this rule used for any form of attack spell?

We use it for most spells that could affect another creature. d20+Magical Attack bonus gives the DC for the poor schmuck to beat. The only exception is range attacks (Rays, etc) or touch spells, which use missile or melee attack bonus, of course.

Thanee said:
One question... why only three stats and not four? One for each skill, one for each class.

I ditched Charisma simply to be awkward :) 4 stats, 4 skills and 4 classes was too "neat" for me. That, and the more I looked at the skill breakdown the more I saw that CHA wasn't really needed as the typical CHA-based skills could really be covered by MIND or even (in the case of Perform) DEX. And it opened up Charisma as being something to actually role-play, rather than quantify.

That's my excuse, anyway.

MeepoDM

First Post
Perhaps even something like the CLEAVE feat (or another very simple, non-fiddly) ability) automatically for all Fighters might be an idea? I do agree, though, that the game should stay as simplistic as possible, that's the appeal, right? :D

As for CHA, I could see WIS comin' back before CHA ;)

greywulf

First Post
Cleave. Mmmmmmm.... my favourite flavour of Kobold. Let me think about it :)

MeepoDM said:
As for CHA, I could see WIS comin' back before CHA ;)

Heh. Maybe we should put it to the vote.

What should be the Fourth Stat, and why?

Thanee

First Post
It doesn't work. It leaves a huge hole in the continuum.

Really, if you reduce mental to one stat, then you could reduce physical to one stat (BODy) as well. Or give both sides two stats. :)

BOD
AGI
MND
SPI

Bye
Thanee

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
Heh. Maybe we should put it to the vote.

What should be the Fourth Stat, and why?

To be honest, I've considered putting CHA back in, too. I tend to run urban campaigns a lot, and my players are very dependent on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, etc. in regular D&D games. I've been thinking for a few days now about adding CHA to the abilities and adding a new skill ("Personality," maybe?) to the skill list to more fully delineate this.

MeepoDM: I'm actually more likely to bring back CHA than WIS. To me, CHA would be related to MIND (being a combined INT and WIS) in the same way DEX is related to STR (a combined STR and CON).

Regards,
Darrell

MeepoDM

First Post
I only mentioned WIS jokingly, as it was in reference to the 4 classes/4 races/4 stats mentioned above, sorry :) I'd prefer a CHA over a WIS myself, but the roots of Clerics lie in Wisdom over Charisma.

Darrell

First Post
Hello, all--

I got bored again this afternoon. The result? The Microlite20 Game Master's Guide.

I took the "Other Hazards" paragraph from the latest version of the rules and expanded it a bit--more information about poisons (including listing for all the critters with 'poison' attacks listed in the Monsters List pdf), added in a section on Diseases, and another on Traps (featuring 3 traps of each Encounter Level). Another two pages. :]

Let me know what ya think about this one.

Regards,
Darrell

Attachments

• Microlite20 GM Guide.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 551

Remove ads